Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usain

Quote from: erinsboy on September 27, 2016, 11:07:16 PM
Dunsilly has to be the place for a new county ground
1 we already own the land and have pitches made
2 it is in a central location
3 it has excellent road structure and easy to find
4 the first pitch has a slope along one side where you could build a stand and concrete terrace the other side
There is a issue about safety exits but if you look at a satellite view you can see they only need to buy a small piece of land at the corner and they will have access onto the main road I don't think we need anything bigger than 7000 capacity and let the Ulster council build casement if they want to but we will only use it when we need to
I'm not sure what the total capacity is at own-beg but the stand is 2000 so the total can't be anymore than 7000 and that would be more than big enough for Antrim !

I like the way your thinking and rather than saying no it can't be done I think the county board should investigate how they could potentially make Dunsilly into a suitable county ground for say crowds of 5-7K.

If they come back and say its not financially possible etc etc then that's ok. I think we should explore every option and don't dismiss any ideas without researching first.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Usain on September 28, 2016, 10:04:09 AM
4 the first pitch has a slope along one side where you could build a stand and concrete terrace the other side
There is a issue about safety exits but if you look at a satellite view you can see they only need to buy a small piece of land at the corner and they will have access onto the main road I don't think we need anything bigger than 7000 capacity and let the Ulster council build casement if they want to but we will only use it when we need to
I'm not sure what the total capacity is at own-beg but the stand is 2000 so the total can't be anymore than 7000 and that would be more than big enough for Antrim !

I like the way your thinking and rather than saying no it can't be done I think the county board should investigate how they could potentially make Dunsilly into a suitable county ground for say crowds of 5-7K.

If they come back and say its not financially possible etc etc then that's ok. I think we should explore every option and don't dismiss any ideas without researching first.

Totally understand and agree with Dunsilly sentiments.

But I think the reality is that extended the facility is not possible in terms of planning or finance.
It's just not feasible.
From what I can gather it's a case of celebrating what we're getting and fair play to all involved.

Na Glinntí Glasa

where theres a will, desire and drive to do something then theres no reason it cant be achieved.

People said we were mad to build an academy, i was told it couldn't be done from people i know in other clubs and that it would bankrupt us, we would never see it being done. It didnt and we did build it. belief, desire and drive to do something great and it worked.

Theres no reason why we as a county should just sit on our hands waiting on casement to be sorted because it could take years to come to completion.
hurl like f**k boi!

doodaa

Is it not an option to develop Ballycastle/ Loughgiel/ Dunloy with covered stands for the likes of the club championships and NHL/NFL matches? Doesn't have to be seated, even a covered terrace would be better than what exists at present.

There are a few clubs in Derry with covered stands. Glenullin, Slaughtneil, Foreglen, Screen, Glen Maghera. With the latter two benefitting (I think) from county board assistance as they were/ are still county grounds when required. Glen also having turnstiles for those matches requiring them.

Na Glinntí Glasa

thats actually something i was asking on sunday at ballycastle could this not be done and no one was actually sure if it was possible and how it could be done.

hurl like f**k boi!

Antrim Coaster

Capacity of Owenbeg is around 6-7,000 mark.

Dunsilly is meant to be a county training facility. The fact that there is a single entrance / exit means it wouldn't be able to cater for a large crowd due to health and safety reasons. Plus the parking around Dunsilly wouldn't be great.

I mentioned before that the county own some land at Ballygrooby which could be developed into an Owenbeg type playing facility but financial restraints might put an end to that theory for a considerable time.

btdtgtt

I like your attitude DR but as Coaster says I think there's factors with Dunsilly outside of our control.

In terms of developing a club ground - the politics of which ground are an absolute minefield before we start.
The chosen club would have to suit hurling and football fraternities.
There would be continual issues over access between the club who own and the county who invested in it.
And then there's the issue of getting the finance in the first place.

What would be really good would be if there was a place in Belfast which used to be a thriving stadium, and we had been gifted money to develop it into a brand new one. Wow. Wouldn't that really be something.

paddyjohn

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 28, 2016, 12:49:53 PM
I like your attitude DR but as Coaster says I think there's factors with Dunsilly outside of our control.

In terms of developing a club ground - the politics of which ground are an absolute minefield before we start.
There would be continual issues over access between the club who own and the county who invested in it.

What would be really could would be if there was a place in Belfast which used to be a thriving stadium, and we had been gifted money to develop it into a brand new one. Wow. Wouldn't that really be something.

Whats the chances of that happening? lol

oakleafgael

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 28, 2016, 12:49:53 PM

What would be really good would be if there was a place in Belfast which used to be a thriving stadium, and we had been gifted money to develop it into a brand new one. Wow. Wouldn't that really be something.

There is nothing stopping any club from developing their own club grounds to make them suitable for hosting 5 or 6 thousand people with proper covered facilities or terracing. Plenty of clubs in other counties have done it.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Lovely idea but the most of the clubs dont have the money to attempt such a thing. I would rather we had a third pitch than a stand if im honest. were going to be starting a 3G playing surface shortly beside the academy and thats more important to our clubs needs rather than a sheltered covering.
Dont get me wrong it would be brilliant to have but long term for every club developing facilities for future generations is higher on the list.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Shuttle bus to and from the Dunsilly pitch on Sunday 2nd October.

The carpark at Dunsilly will be used for players and officials only and there should be NO parking on the road around Dunsilly.

Buses will run from the old Enkalon car park, it can be accessed from Junction one retail park or from the Randalstown Road entrance to Enkalon industrial estate.

The car park is across from Shrubs and Tubs garden centre.
The buses will be available from 10am in the morning until the games finish.

Unfortunately there will have to be some sort of charge for this.  £1 ahead return for adults and free for U16's.

Clearly Dunsilly isn't fit to hold finals or a volume of cars.

hurlingstick

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 30, 2016, 09:32:55 AM
Shuttle bus to and from the Dunsilly pitch on Sunday 2nd October.

The carpark at Dunsilly will be used for players and officials only and there should be NO parking on the road around Dunsilly.

Buses will run from the old Enkalon car park, it can be accessed from Junction one retail park or from the Randalstown Road entrance to Enkalon industrial estate.

The car park is across from Shrubs and Tubs garden centre.
The buses will be available from 10am in the morning until the games finish.

Unfortunately there will have to be some sort of charge for this.  £1 ahead return for adults and free for U16's.

Clearly Dunsilly isn't fit to hold finals or a volume of cars.

Square peg in a round hole .......why even bother having the finals there? Egotistical attempt to show off the facility. Expensive training ground!

Na Glinntí Glasa

and there in lies the problems with a half arsed job.
hurl like f**k boi!

doodaa

Hi folks, just wanted to take the opportunity to publicise a fundraiser that our club has initiated to raise money for a great cause and have plenty of craic with at the same time. The donations raised go to AWARE, Pieta House and a fund for our desperately needed 2nd pitch (we have one pitch for 4 codes at all age levels). All the details for taking part can be seen at the link below to the thread on the main discussion section.

A fair few Antrim lads and ladies have already provided us with a few good yarns.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27361.msg1630871#new

Thanks

hurlingstick

Loughiel v Ballygalget @ Maghera ......handy enough.