Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 23, 2016, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 22, 2016, 04:04:21 PM
Both matches will be close. I'd say Dunloy in the minors by 4 or 5.

Cushendall are favourites, no matter what the bookies say. Going for three in a row and last year's all ireland finalists? Of course they are. It'll be close. One score either way I'd say.

Irrespective of what has happened before, you have to look at the facts at this present moment in time.

Can you answer two questions for me (simple yes or no would suffice)?

1) Do Loughgiel have a stronger team/panel than they had from last year when defeated by a single point by Cushendall?

2) Do Cushendall have a weaker first 15 as a result of not having the services of Arron & Shane?

If both are yes, then on paper - Loughgiel are favourites.  Anyone trying to put a spin on this is just playing games!

In saying that, being favourites on paper means nothing unless they can produce the goods on the day.

He did say one point either way so for once didn't rule Loughgiel out...

theskull1

Yes but its the way he's going out of his way to get rid of the tag ... we all see it  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Hectic

I make Cushendall favourites - not because of the relative ability of the teams/squads which a fairly well matched but because Cushendall have got the upper hand mentally over the last couple of years which will be at least as important as anything on the day.

paddyjohn

SHC Final week, hard to beat on here.

I think that Cushendall win scrape through by a few points. Depends if and where they start McManus. Do they start him at 11 and push McAfee into FF?

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Hectic on September 23, 2016, 11:04:23 AM
I make Cushendall favourites - not because of the relative ability of the teams/squads which a fairly well matched but because Cushendall have got the upper hand mentally over the last couple of years which will be at least as important as anything on the day.

You have to remember that an unfancied Loughgiel U21 team took Cushendall right to the wire this year (stole it at the death in fact).  This was a very strong Cushendall team full of "young stars" that will be playing on Sunday.   The young Loughgiel players would have the mental edge there and in all fairness have held their own at Senior level to date.

The mental edge thing would be fine if things remained relatively unchanged but a Cushendall team going in to a Championship Final with out the services of 2 of arguably their top 3/4 players over the past number of years is certainly not going to give them any more "mental strength" - it does however ease the pressure a bit.

If Cushendall win it will be seen as the young boys coming through well and they delivered but if they lose - sure we were missing Arron & Shane, it will take the young boys time to gain experience senior level, Neil wasn't back that long.

The pressure is fully on the Shamrocks to deliver, full panel to choose from, I was quoted by someone it is the best panel in Ulster - some are already looking forward to another All-Ireland campaign, therefore there should be no excuses winning Antrim against a depleted Cushendall side.

Anything but a Shamrocks win for everyone in Loughgiel will be total devastation. 

Playing things down SIE isn't going to excuse these facts. 

Hectic

Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 23, 2016, 11:57:45 AM

You have to remember that an unfancied Loughgiel U21 team took Cushendall right to the wire this year (stole it at the death in fact).  This was a very strong Cushendall team full of "young stars" that will be playing on Sunday.   The young Loughgiel players would have the mental edge there and in all fairness have held their own at Senior level to date.

The mental edge thing would be fine if things remained relatively unchanged but a Cushendall team going in to a Championship Final with out the services of 2 of arguably their top 3/4 players over the past number of years is certainly not going to give them any more "mental strength" - it does however ease the pressure a bit.

If Cushendall win it will be seen as the young boys coming through well and they delivered but if they lose - sure we were missing Arron & Shane, it will take the young boys time to gain experience senior level, Neil wasn't back that long.

The pressure is fully on the Shamrocks to deliver, full panel to choose from, I was quoted by someone it is the best panel in Ulster - some are already looking forward to another All-Ireland campaign, therefore there should be no excuses winning Antrim against a depleted Cushendall side.

Anything but a Shamrocks win for everyone in Loughgiel will be total devastation. 

Disagree - if you are going out to play a Championship final you are not going out with the excuse for losing packed up and ready in the bag to pull out at the final whistle.

imtommygunn

So Loughiel ran Cushendall right to the wire in the u21 final but cushendall won therefore Loughgiel young players will have the mental edge. How does that work  ???

hurlingstick

Rubbish .......Shane McNaughton  (All Ireland final aside) has been poor the past few seasons. Loughiel have as many young talented hurlers as Cushendal. Damon, Cathal, Maol, Wee Betty, James. How have they the mental edge if they lost?

Hirty Darry

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2016, 12:19:55 PM
So Loughiel ran Cushendall right to the wire in the u21 final but cushendall won therefore Loughgiel young players will have the mental edge. How does that work  ???

On the day Loughgiel would have felt robbed, but on reflection months later - those young Loughgiel players can look back and say, we almost beat a highly fancied Cushendall team with quite a few of their Senior hurlers on it. 

imtommygunn

Yeah but they still lost. I don't buy that argument at all.

They're also not that much in transition if they're only missing 2 players.

McManus wasn't fully fit for the semi I thought. He should add a lot more on sunday if he's fitter.

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Hectic on September 23, 2016, 12:09:21 PM

Disagree - if you are going out to play a Championship final you are not going out with the excuse for losing packed up and ready in the bag to pull out at the final whistle.

It will be the players who are going out to play the County Final - they won't be going out with these excuses in mind, but if things don't go Cushendall's way many will use the reasons I have stated as their downfall. 

Hirty Darry

Quote from: hurlingstick on September 23, 2016, 12:26:01 PM

Rubbish .......Shane McNaughton  (All Ireland final aside) has been poor the past few seasons. Loughiel have as many young talented hurlers as Cushendal. Damon, Cathal, Maol, Wee Betty, James. How have they the mental edge if they lost?

Shane McNaughton has been a thorn in the side to Loughgiel over the years, it would be fair enough to say his form has been patchy but as they say and as you have highlighted you are only as good as your last game!

Of course Loughgiel have as many talented hurlers as Cushendall, very good point.

So much talent and strength in depth that out of the five you have named, Loughgiel will have the luxury of only starting 2 out of the 5 based on the semi-final.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hirty Darry

Quote from: theskull1 on September 23, 2016, 12:46:51 PM
We get it Hirty ffs  ::)

Just a bit banter Skull, you know the old craic - if people want to reply or comment on my posts, I only feel it fair to respond! :-)