Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hirty Darry

Quote from: theskull1 on September 22, 2016, 10:26:16 AM
Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 22, 2016, 10:16:30 AM
It certainly seems to be a lot Tommy but when you have already beat the same team by double that amount already this year, it does not bode well for Rossa.

St Johns would have been much tougher opposition

Dunloy have not played Rossa this year at minor. Rossa beat St Johns handy in the League

One of the reasons why the internet should not be trusted  ::)

That was an U16 result I had quoted.  Apologies, to Rossa Minors. Re-assessing the results Dunloy by 5 pts.

theskull1

So all to play for then  ::)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: Gizzy15 on September 21, 2016, 11:40:23 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 21, 2016, 04:33:23 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2016, 01:31:07 PM
What about the 'commited to claiming as much as you can but dress it up as commitment to the team culture'? Heard some big numbers mentioned in regard to expenses claimed. I think its a thing and until we change that culture, I won't expect any change in our on the pitch endeavors

The GAA/GPA have increased the mileage allowance and with that I presume any expenses but into a county board are then passed on to Croke Park for refunding.

I'm assuming that's how it will work, plus there's a new nutritional allowance for the lads to buy chips on!

GAA Gpa increase means nothing. The last increase came a few years back from 40p to 50p a mile. The hurlers were asked in the same year to drop from 40p a mile to 35p a mile so for every mile traveled by panel and managers the county were actually making 15p a mile on the back of the players. When you consider the amount of miles clocked up between ballycastle/ cushendall etc to Jordanstown 3/4 times a week for 6 months  that's a hell of a lot taken from the players pockets for representing their county.

Well that's wrong to do and the players could have justifiably refused to accept it. Ultimately Croke Park was paying that 50p a mile and that rate should have been passed onto the players, not creamed off by the county board.

general_lee

Quote from: Hectic on September 20, 2016, 12:39:51 PM
It is pretty galling all the same that we are at the same level as Armagh.
Why? You might actually learn something.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: general_lee on September 22, 2016, 01:39:00 PM

Exactly, get rid of the illusions of Grandeur!

Hectic

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 22, 2016, 01:49:35 PM

No harm but we will learn very little from playing against the like of Armagh.  It is galling in the sense that while we have dropped back badly (and no illusions of grandeur) we still win Ulster year after year.  In an ideal world had we dropped back so badly other Ulster teams would have passed us and forced us to up our game locally but instead the whole province has just become even more of a hurling backwater.  I am not blaming Armagh or any other Ulster side - I think Croke Park needs to have a hand in stimulating Ulster Hurling.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Hectic on September 22, 2016, 01:58:24 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 22, 2016, 01:49:35 PM

No harm but we will learn very little from playing against the like of Armagh.  It is galling in the sense that while we have dropped back badly (and no illusions of grandeur) we still win Ulster year after year.  In an ideal world had we dropped back so badly other Ulster teams would have passed us and forced us to up our game locally but instead the whole province has just become even more of a hurling backwater.  I am not blaming Armagh or any other Ulster side - I think Croke Park needs to have a hand in stimulating Ulster Hurling.

They have more interest (an investment) in promoting hurling in America & the middle east than in Ulster.

No secret as to why.

imtommygunn

We are both there on merit so I don't think we have any room to patronise!!

Hectic

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2016, 02:36:49 PM
We are both there on merit so I don't think we have any room to patronise!!

No patronising - if anything I am saddened that we are meeting Armagh at this level rather than us remaining at a higher level and Armagh and other Ulster teams playing league games against us at that level.

Seamroga in exile

Both matches will be close. I'd say Dunloy in the minors by 4 or 5.

Cushendall are favourites, no matter what the bookies say. Going for three in a row and last year's all ireland finalists? Of course they are. It'll be close. One score either way I'd say.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Gizzy15

Quote from: johnneycool on September 22, 2016, 12:23:04 PM
Quote from: Gizzy15 on September 21, 2016, 11:40:23 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 21, 2016, 04:33:23 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2016, 01:31:07 PM
What about the 'commited to claiming as much as you can but dress it up as commitment to the team culture'? Heard some big numbers mentioned in regard to expenses claimed. I think its a thing and until we change that culture, I won't expect any change in our on the pitch endeavors

The GAA/GPA have increased the mileage allowance and with that I presume any expenses but into a county board are then passed on to Croke Park for refunding.

I'm assuming that's how it will work, plus there's a new nutritional allowance for the lads to buy chips on!

GAA Gpa increase means nothing. The last increase came a few years back from 40p to 50p a mile. The hurlers were asked in the same year to drop from 40p a mile to 35p a mile so for every mile traveled by panel and managers the county were actually making 15p a mile on the back of the players. When you consider the amount of miles clocked up between ballycastle/ cushendall etc to Jordanstown 3/4 times a week for 6 months  that's a hell of a lot taken from the players pockets for representing their county.

Well that's wrong to do and the players could have justifiably refused to accept it. Ultimately Croke Park was paying that 50p a mile and that rate should have been passed onto the players, not creamed off by the county board.

Took the counties "were skint, and cant hold out to these increases" at face value. At the time people thought it was just a gpa recommendation  and not being paid by Croke Park. So players felt it was right thing to do. I also get the feeling that there was a two tiered mileage system for gpa reps/ senior players and then the other 20 guys on the panel as the GPA reps were not opposed to the decrease, which in hindsight I find strange

theskull1

And all the while, development squad players never got a look in when it came to feeling like they were valued in any tangible way (i.e 'Theres your county jersey lad... thanks for all your efforts and the efforts of your parents getting you to training') 

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 22, 2016, 04:04:21 PM
Both matches will be close. I'd say Dunloy in the minors by 4 or 5.

Cushendall are favourites, no matter what the bookies say. Going for three in a row and last year's all ireland finalists? Of course they are. It'll be close. One score either way I'd say.

Irrespective of what has happened before, you have to look at the facts at this present moment in time.

Can you answer two questions for me (simple yes or no would suffice)?

1) Do Loughgiel have a stronger team/panel than they had from last year when defeated by a single point by Cushendall?

2) Do Cushendall have a weaker first 15 as a result of not having the services of Arron & Shane?

If both are yes, then on paper - Loughgiel are favourites.  Anyone trying to put a spin on this is just playing games!

In saying that, being favourites on paper means nothing unless they can produce the goods on the day.

theskull1

The lady doth protest too much

NAG1