Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2016, 01:44:09 PM
So what about students. Is the extra travelling/training commitments hitting their ability to get a part time job for instance? How do we square that one? Is this the way they deal with that on the qt?

I would say the way other counties get around this is by ensuring that they get part time jobs which suit their training schedule, maybe this is not applicable in Antrim, but I think we start with a policy of travel expenses are for travel only and we work with the other issues after that.

This way we ensure that everyone knows the score and that everyone is being treated exactly the same across the board.

For all of those that would be in this position a few heads around the squad in terms of support could hopefully point them in the direction of a suitable part time job.

Usain

Quote from: NAG1 on September 20, 2016, 12:52:05 PM
Well here is hoping for a clean slate approach from the management team, any one good enough to play be given the opportunity to commit.

If they are good enough and commit to the panel then they play and if they don't commit then fair enough cheerio.

I would prefer 15 players on the panel who are committed to each other and the team, than 30 who pick and chose. At least then I can go along and support them regardless of the outcome knowing that they are giving off their best to the county set up.

NAG, its all well and good saying that now but it will be a different story when we have the most committed lads playing and getting beat. We will then be in the old 'there's better hurlers than x in this county' scenario.

Look at Saul McCaughan. An unreal talent and one which should grace our county team. Unfortunately due to work commitments last year he couldn't commit. Are we really going to take this hard approach with our best talent?

I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there. I imagine sambo etc being old school are only looking at those who commit full time, so that will rule the likes of Saul out.

NAG1

Quote from: Usain on September 20, 2016, 03:13:58 PM
Well here is hoping for a clean slate approach from the management team, any one good enough to play be given the opportunity to commit.

If they are good enough and commit to the panel then they play and if they don't commit then fair enough cheerio.

I would prefer 15 players on the panel who are committed to each other and the team, than 30 who pick and chose. At least then I can go along and support them regardless of the outcome knowing that they are giving off their best to the county set up.

NAG, its all well and good saying that now but it will be a different story when we have the most committed lads playing and getting beat. We will then be in the old 'there's better hurlers than x in this county' scenario.

Look at Saul McCaughan. An unreal talent and one which should grace our county team. Unfortunately due to work commitments last year he couldn't commit. Are we really going to take this hard approach with our best talent?

I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there. I imagine sambo etc being old school are only looking at those who commit full time, so that will rule the likes of Saul out.

Well it would be my approach simple as that, we have to basically hit the restart button after last years debacle and other years that have preceded it.

We have to get to a place where it is valued again to play for this county that the players see that it is something worthwhile to be involved in and commit too. The things/ distractions like travel expenses that go on only take away from the chance of building something worthwhile and special.

The only way to create something like this in my experience is by hard work, yeah and if that means work commitments rule you out then fair enough no harm done. If it means that a stag party mid season rules you out then fair enough as well. If it means you'd rather go drinking or kicking soccer then that also would rule you out.

For me you have to create the environment first then, as players in other counties routinely do, they sacrifice those things above and this then adds to the fact that you have created something special, something worth being a part of and something worth fighting for when you cross the line.

It may be simplistic and maybe even old school but I think that is where we are currently at.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Usain on September 20, 2016, 03:13:58 PM

No doubting Saul is a great talent. But lets be honest here. Everyone in this county can understand a man who can't commit because of work. However he wasn't interested in commiting to playing for Antrim. Was he not thrown off the panel for drinking before the infamous London trip??

btdtgtt

I'm with NAG here.

If a manager is a few years into a cycle with a group of guys and needs to make provisions or exceptions for a special case - then maybe that can be accommodated.

But where Antrim are right now - it's in or out.
Everyone on the same standing - done right and done together.

If that means results aren't what we would like immediately - then we as supporters must accept that for the long term gain.

Usain

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 20, 2016, 04:37:32 PM
I'm with NAG here.

If a manager is a few years into a cycle with a group of guys and needs to make provisions or exceptions for a special case - then maybe that can be accommodated.

But where Antrim are right now - it's in or out.
Everyone on the same standing - done right and done together.

If that means results aren't what we would like immediately - then we as supporters must accept that for the long term gain.

100%. As supporters we must accept that the most talented hurlers in Antrim are not always the most committed and we won't see them in the saffron colours. Unfortunate but I am in agreement here, need to start with solid foundations.

Hurlingballs

Predictions for the weekend?

hurlingstick

Quote from: Hurlingballs on September 20, 2016, 09:26:32 PM
Predictions for the weekend?

Dunloy in Minor and Cushendal in Senior. Dunloy will win with a bit to spare and hoping the senior game is going to be a tight affair.

Hectic

Yeah Dunloy will not be troubled in the minor in a one sided curtain raiser and I think Cushendall will retain the senior but hopefully we will have a game on our hands here - no reason not to believe that will be the case.

north aontroim gael

Dunloy to win the minor final by as many as they want.

Loughgiel to edge Cushendall in the senior.

theskull1

Minor and senior finals both being contested by the 1st and second placed teams in their league. Are Dunloy favorites? ... I'd say we are, but huge disrespect being shown to a very talented Rossa team full of experienced players. I'll be expecting very keen contests in both games. With 4 clubs involved, there should be a great crowd there on Sunday (hopefully plenty of neutrals) if it stays dry.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on September 21, 2016, 09:22:22 AM
Minor and senior finals both being contested by the 1st and second placed teams in their league. Are Dunloy favorites? ... I'd say we are, but huge disrespect being shown to a very talented Rossa team full of experienced players. I'll be expecting very keen contests in both games. With 4 clubs involved, there should be a great crowd there on Sunday (hopefully plenty of neutrals) if it stays dry.

From what I have seen Saturday and Sunday to be wet.

Hectic

Yeah forecast for the weekend is pretty poor though hopefully given it has been pretty inaccurate lately this trend will continue - would be nice to bring the kids along but will not be doing so if it is a piss of a day.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Ourselves in the minor by 6 points - think it will be tighter than people think. Rossa have a good team there with the bulk of their U16 team that went unbeaten last season in all competitions. Some good hurlers in their ranks so i expect a good game.

Senior final im edging toward Cdall by 2 points. Expect a very tough physical game between the best two teams in the county. Tbh theres nothing between them, esp at this time of the year, and its hard to call but im going for Cdall after seeing them this year a few times.

Hopefully theres a big crowd there for the games, looking forward to them both.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2016, 01:31:07 PM
What about the 'commited to claiming as much as you can but dress it up as commitment to the team culture'? Heard some big numbers mentioned in regard to expenses claimed. I think its a thing and until we change that culture, I won't expect any change in our on the pitch endeavors

The GAA/GPA have increased the mileage allowance and with that I presume any expenses but into a county board are then passed on to Croke Park for refunding.

I'm assuming that's how it will work, plus there's a new nutritional allowance for the lads to buy chips on!