Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on July 03, 2016, 11:12:51 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2016, 09:50:53 AM
There are two ways to look at it brocky.... Do I call every free and appease everyone or do I let certain things go .... Which gets people slabbering mouthing off and hurling abuse at you??

Loughgiel and Cushendall games have become a lot more tetchy niggly games.... Someone leaves the stick in, pulls high ,  early and late.... Some scuffles .... Its a pain in the hole if I'm honest.... I'm not refereeing to keep you happy..... Again some games can go flat out and be very entertaining, again that's not down to the referee
At the extremes a hurler can take to the pitch happy to do his opponent some damage or stay on the pitch and play the game within the rules as we know them. Teams will have players who fall anywhere within this spectrum. What does the referee do? Read a players mind and estimate how "wicked" he's feeling today and clip him before he pulls the trigger.
While i am no fan of some of our referees, I respect the fact they are out there doing the job. Some are far from ideal but clubs and coaches have questions to answer.
Coaching dirt into a young players game as opposed to bravery and sacrifice. Players with a tendency for dirt in my experience are quite often burdened with fear of their own pain and/or fear of their own failure (note the selfishness, problem players always take things personally and have little concern for what is best for the team.). How did any of us who are coaches let that happen?
Clubs not committed to driving up coaching standards and setting standards generally throughout the club.
Lets shine the spot light here for a while, then we can get tore into the referees. :)

So there in lies the problem maybe... Coaches who were dirty players isn't a good thing!! Traditionally there are clubs were you hear the usual lines, take his fecking head off!! Get tore into him (not the ball!) and then there are other clubs where its all positive on the ball calls.... I know or lets say pre judge a game (which is probably wrong) before I head out of how its going to go, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, others I go, fecking knew it..... Games can go along swimmingly nothing bad, then one tackle starts a riot, and every tackle after that follows another mini riot!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Brocky

Quote from: theskull1 on July 03, 2016, 10:47:46 AM
Doesn't appear that you've too many people backing your argument Brocky so maybe you should consider why that might be the case
I think I'm entitled to my opinion and it's still the same. He blew for too many frees.
Not an easy job to do in fairness but with experience you should improve!
Regarding coaching in loughgiel there's certainly no coaches telling our players to be dirty.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Brocky on July 03, 2016, 03:54:18 PM
Doesn't appear that you've too many people backing your argument Brocky so maybe you should consider why that might be the case
I think I'm entitled to my opinion and it's still the same. He blew for too many frees.
Regarding coaching in loughgiel there's certainly no coaches telling our players to be dirty.
This is certainly true Brocky.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

paddyjohn

Gone are the days of Tommy McIntyre & Frankie Quinn. Sadly a few refs these days get the whistle and want to be centre of the attention both on and off the pitch.

Last Man

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on July 03, 2016, 04:52:09 PM
Quote from: Brocky on July 03, 2016, 03:54:18 PM
This is certainly true Brocky.
I'd agree on that but wasnt always the case and before you start I am not singling Shamrocks in this regard.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 03, 2016, 09:07:28 PM
Gone are the days of Tommy McIntyre & Frankie Quinn. Sadly a few refs these days get the whistle and want to be centre of the attention both on and off the pitch.

Again different generation of players that maybe made it easier
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

No doubt that's correct MR2. Attitudes of refs play a part to. A few of the current refs enjoy slabbering back to the players instead of disciplining them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 03, 2016, 10:40:39 PM
No doubt that's correct MR2. Attitudes of refs play a part to. A few of the current refs enjoy slabbering back to the players instead of disciplining them.

That's very true, and its very difficult (regardless of being a ref or not) to not say something when someone questions your parentage in games ...

Impossible job, I actually don't mind doing it but sometimes you wonder why bother??? Nothing worse that some fat tosser behind the wire saying keep up with play!! I find it very hard not to say something

Players hit the ball a lot further and quicker than they did back in the day, players are bigger and balls are different nowadays!!

paddyjohn

I honestly don't know how some refs keep quiet. The abuse I've heard dished out to refs is shocking.

C'Dall won the Feis handy. They won't read much into it.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2016, 10:49:13 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on July 03, 2016, 10:40:39 PM

That's very true, and its very difficult (regardless of being a ref or not) to not say something when someone questions your parentage in games ...

Impossible job, I actually don't mind doing it but sometimes you wonder why bother??? Nothing worse that some fat t**ser behind the wire saying keep up with play!! I find it very hard not to say something

Players hit the ball a lot further and quicker than they did back in the day, players are bigger and balls are different nowadays!!

I've found that there's a mentality where some people have paid their £3 or £4 in and feel they can say whatever they like about the players and refrerees alike and its wrong.

bogieman

Quote from: johnneycool on July 04, 2016, 10:47:29 AM

I've found that there's a mentality where some people have paid their £3 or £4 in and feel they can say whatever they like about the players and refrerees alike and its wrong.

I agree, it is wrong.

Would it be fair to say that each club in Antrim has at least a couple of these 'fans' ? I would go as far and say each club in Ireland. I generalise them as the fat mouths, gobsh1tes, bully boys, who have an inflated notion of themselves within the club, but probably not the general community, rarely to be challenged by any club member, and who successive club committee members are scared of.
They will say (normally shout) what they want not just to the players and referee, but also to the officials, coaches, club committee members and other rival 'fans' who challenge their biased view equally vocally. Most of the issues seem to come from the various interpretations of the rules, to which there are surprisingly 4 sides; 2 clubs, 1 officials and what actually happened.
It seems to be a man thing, where they know the best way to sort it out , but is worrying for the club when many of the incidents take place in front of children and women, there can be no civil progress within a club when this is happening.
The 'abuse not tolerated' signs that appeared a few years ago on every pitch must have come from HQ direction, and put up by clubs with good intentions but no conviction. HQ could do more on this issue by massively increasing the knowledge of the rules for each and every gael in the country, not just officials, but coaches, players and the fans.
The social media growth will undoubtedly increase the awareness of this problem, as in recent years, more and more videos and pictures of unsavoury incidents go viral. Negative news seem to travel further than positive news in the GAA.

In my view, it's not really a county or HQ issue, it will only stop when clubs take responsibility for their mentors and supporters in-house with a bit of the above mentioned conviction. The committee members of every club in Ireland know who their 'fans' are, but on the whole, seem to choose to ignore this ongoing issue for various reasons. I will let someone else take over from here on as to why the clubs management ignore it...
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogieman on July 04, 2016, 12:54:32 PM

I agree, it is wrong.

Would it be fair to say that each club in Antrim has at least a couple of these 'fans' ? I would go as far and say each club in Ireland. I generalise them as the fat mouths, gobsh1tes, bully boys, who have an inflated notion of themselves within the club, but probably not the general community, rarely to be challenged by any club member, and who successive club committee members are scared of.
They will say (normally shout) what they want not just to the players and referee, but also to the officials, coaches, club committee members and other rival 'fans' who challenge their biased view equally vocally. Most of the issues seem to come from the various interpretations of the rules, to which there are surprisingly 4 sides; 2 clubs, 1 officials and what actually happened.
It seems to be a man thing, where they know the best way to sort it out , but is worrying for the club when many of the incidents take place in front of children and women, there can be no civil progress within a club when this is happening.
The 'abuse not tolerated' signs that appeared a few years ago on every pitch must have come from HQ direction, and put up by clubs with good intentions but no conviction. HQ could do more on this issue by massively increasing the knowledge of the rules for each and every gael in the country, not just officials, but coaches, players and the fans.
The social media growth will undoubtedly increase the awareness of this problem, as in recent years, more and more videos and pictures of unsavoury incidents go viral. Negative news seem to travel further than positive news in the GAA.

In my view, it's not really a county or HQ issue, it will only stop when clubs take responsibility for their mentors and supporters in-house with a bit of the above mentioned conviction. The committee members of every club in Ireland know who their 'fans' are, but on the whole, seem to choose to ignore this ongoing issue for various reasons. I will let someone else take over from here on as to why the clubs management ignore it...

Very true, and while clubs have a club ethos and code of conduct for everyone to adhere to, its not marshalled very well.. and you are right, EVERY CLUB has them

Last Man

I agree, it is wrong.

+1

btdtgtt

I agree, it is wrong.

Very true indeed.
It's undoubtedly an issue that needs and can only tackled within clubs.
These characters need to be identified by their own club men and straightened out by their own club men. (And women  ;) )

Na Glinntí Glasa

You get the gobshites at every match, at every level and every grade. Those who spend the game hanging on the wire passing their great knowledge on to everyone who has no option but to listen. Usually they never were worth an ouce in their day on the field and have contributed fuk all to their club other than bring it down.

With regards to skinny and his capabilities as a ref, obvioulsy we dont see him very much doing a match unless i travel to watch two other teams playing but any time ive seen him i have to be honest ive found him to be pretty good. Yes he does call some niggle wee things but he wouldnt be progressing up the levels unless he was a bad ref.

Ive found him to be similar to the rest of our top refs in anrtim and how they handle the game. As for this letting the game go caper, thats impossible. There will be the above gobshites from each side roaring at the ref to call them. He cant win ffs, he will be slated for something.
hurl like f**k boi!