Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on March 15, 2016, 06:15:46 PM
Referee's have a duty to make sure the game is played within the rules. Simple. Penalize heavily those who maliciously hold intent to harm their opponent(s) rather than look to play the ball. Referees who don't sanction the first malicious foul have a part to play in the next one.

Would have to agree with Skull on this one.

How many times have we seen the first foul go unpunished and it lead to a reaction.

Simply blow the first foul which is normally pretty obvious and set the tone and players then know where they stand.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on March 15, 2016, 09:30:54 PM
Referee's have a duty to make sure the game is played within the rules. Simple. Penalize heavily those who maliciously hold intent to harm their opponent(s) rather than look to play the ball. Referees who don't sanction the first malicious foul have a part to play in the next one.

How many times have we seen the first foul go unpunished and it lead to a reaction.

Simply blow the first foul which is normally pretty obvious and set the tone and players then know where they stand.

Would you think then that most referees let the first foul go, and blow for the second one??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35817959

Cause if you dont, he will find you and he will kill you  ;D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2016, 09:51:19 PM

Would you think then that most referees let the first foul go, and blow for the second one??

Yeah I would say most refs in a probably an admirable attempt to the let the game flow, miss the first foul and then pick up the reaction.

I would say it is more common under a dropping ball, lads pulling early or low with no intention of playing the ball. Wasnt a dig at the refs MR2, just been something I have observed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on March 16, 2016, 08:58:31 AM

Yeah I would say most refs in a probably an admirable attempt to the let the game flow, miss the first foul and then pick up the reaction.

I would say it is more common under a dropping ball, lads pulling early or low with no intention of playing the ball. Wasnt a dig at the refs MR2, just been something I have observed.

Look for me its try and call every foul or at the very least not let the game become a nasty affair....Tempo of the game isn't my concern and if there are fouls all the time then that's down to the players creating a stop start game... but you'll get players going on about the ref ruining the game with all the whistles !! 

I love the one, they wouldn't blow for this in Kilkenny!! feck off
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2016, 12:33:48 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 16, 2016, 08:58:31 AM

Look for me its try and call every foul or at the very least not let the game become a nasty affair....Tempo of the game isn't my concern and if there are fouls all the time then that's down to the players creating a stop start game... but you'll get players going on about the ref ruining the game with all the whistles !! 

This is one of my big bug bears when it comes to the inter county scene at the top level, nearly every tackle is technically a foul but none are blown. Yes the players arent looking for them in those games but a foul is a foul and in not blowing it in these games they are making life more difficult for club referees in general.

Sleeping giant

Best of luck to the old enemy tomorrow. The backs will take care of business. Need a few lads to show up with Mc Manus on the big day and Tommy will be back north. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Sleeping giant on March 16, 2016, 04:40:52 PM
Best of luck to the old enemy tomorrow. The backs will take care of business. Need a few lads to show up with Mc Manus on the big day and Tommy will be back north.
+1. I hope to have an excuse over the mountain the morra night.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sleeping giant

Am reading now that the winners of the Christy Ring have the chance to play in Leinster from next year onwards. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

I like the way Cushendall line out their soldiers. Hurling is a game of puck outs now a days, so all you're formations are based around that. First whean of minutes and who handles the occasion will be crucial. Loughiel paved the way by beating this team already. If Cushendall can put doubt in their minds early on then they have a great chance. Two horse race. Important they find their forwards with proper passes.

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2016, 12:33:48 PM

Come on MR. There is some validity in that gripe

Watch TG4 against the top teams. Alot of 2/3 man tackling/fouling the arms/hands is let go in those matches. Hard to know if the TV cameras are having an impact on the decision making or not, but players up here see those teams gettting away with close to the edge technical fouls/defending.

Not saying who's right or wrong, but there isn't a consistency in what constitutes technical frees. It makes the likes of Tipp look like men possessed defending as if their lives depended on it, whilst up in Antrim you'd be classed as fouling machines for applying the same intensity to your defending.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

Couldn't agree more skull
The only ref that has played it square recently with Kilkenny is Barry Kelly and they hate him for it
They are the best hurlers I ever seen but also the not behind in the dark arts
Antrim don't get away with the half of it
MR 2 that's the facts
For what it's worth any time I seen you officiating you where as fair as you could be
But you can't argue with the fact that in county hurling it's a bit lob sided at times
This subject came up because of what happened to our seniors last Sunday and by all accounts one team had no interest in playing the ball
It's up to the ref to protect players who are going out to play and the ref on Sunday didn't
All the points and counterpoints won't change that
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Id love nothing more to ref a match were players took the hard knocks in a game that's fair and move on.... That's the big difference... The Tipp and Cats and Galway men don't usually get drawn into creating a melee when is a hard tackle... Up North its a personal attack followed by fisty cuffs!!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2016, 08:42:26 PM
Id love nothing more to ref a match were players took the hard knocks in a game that's fair and move on.... That's the big difference... The Tipp and Cats and Galway men don't usually get drawn into creating a melee when is a hard tackle... Up North its a personal attack followed by fisty cuffs!!

Well would you call one player with 7 stitches in his hand another that had to go to hospital with concussion and another bad injury being soft
Those boys In the south are hard
And if they more robust as you say they the get plenty of soft frees when Antrim plays them
Don't try and draw comparisons between a hard tackle and out and out thuggery with a ref ignoring it all
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 16, 2016, 08:49:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2016, 08:42:26 PM

Well would you call one player with 7 stitches in his hand another that had to go to hospital with concussion and another bad injury being soft
Those boys In the south are hard
And if they more robust as you say they the get plenty of soft frees when Antrim plays them
Don't try and draw comparisons between a hard tackle and out and out thuggery with a ref ignoring it all

I'm not, I'm saying if its a hard tackle but within the rules its grand, its the reaction of players to being hit hard but fair!! They gripe and look retribution in most cases.... Anyone ending up with stitches from a deliberate strike to the hand, and lets be honest we know when its deliberate with intention or late... The late deserves a yellow but the deliberate is a red card for striking... Its going to happen tomorrow when tackles fly...

Hopefully things work out this year.... I do enjoy the games, while it will never replace playing I enjoy being involved in games and still applaud great scores or plays in a match..