Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Simon hurled his corner in fairness
I thought our full back did OK as well
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

bannside

Skull was the only one to bring it up but I thought that the achievement of St Louis Ballymena hurlers in reaching the All Ireland schools final is a positive sign that there is genuine talent emerging. Final in Thurles on Easter Monday. Good luck to them and Ruairi Ogs this Thursday. If either of them brings home the silver it can take the bad look off a disappointing start to the year elsewhere.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: bannside on March 14, 2016, 04:22:36 PM
Skull was the only one to bring it up but I thought that the achievement of St Louis Ballymena hurlers in reaching the All Ireland schools final is a positive sign that there is genuine talent emerging. Final in Thurles on Easter Monday. Good luck to them and Ruairi Ogs this Thursday. If either of them brings home the silver it can take the bad look off a disappointing start to the year elsewhere.

Won by 8 and a win by double that would not have unduly flattered them, they were that superior all over the field.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on March 14, 2016, 04:57:47 PM

Won by 8 and a win by double that would not have unduly flattered them, they were that superior all over the field.

They have a really good team with some great players on it. would love to see them win the All Ireland on easter monday.

Nice to see we have so many there on the panel, i think i counted 10 there from a recent picture.
hurl like f**k boi!

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 14, 2016, 05:11:01 PM
Quote from: clootfromthe21 on March 14, 2016, 04:57:47 PM

They have a really good team with some great players on it. would love to see them win the All Ireland on easter monday.

Nice to see we have so many there on the panel, i think i counted 10 there from a recent picture.

Didn't see a team list knocking about. Is there a good spread of clubs represented?

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on March 14, 2016, 02:11:59 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on March 14, 2016, 10:22:56 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 14, 2016, 09:43:57 AM
I think we need to set the expectations better. We are where we are. Attempts being made to improve dev squad structures, but really theres just not the right amount of interest on the game to create a fevered sustainable interest at county level. Young talented hurlers arrive at intercounty senior senior level and I'm sure the frst thing they can see is the subconscious lack of ambition. This is where we're at. We are not KK or Tipp where the passion for the game runs into the every fabric of their world. We're a narrow strata of life up here. Hurling men up here are a dedicated as anyone in any other county and we should be very proud of that. But we are killed by the number of take it or leavers or dont care at alls. With limited numbers (and that rolls into financial assistance) only so much can be achieved.

The half heartedness about us and for many years its been there so not PJs fault. Players acting the bollocks on weekends, poor attendance at training, how often do they puck a ball away from training etc?

When you compare the control of the ball Galway and Tipp had yesterday (and Carlow as well), our stickwork is way off the mark as is our ability to try to link up with each other.

Can't disagree with a word of that!
DR makes some good points also - notably Simon McCrory.
Little surprise that as one of our best performers he is an example of how to carry yourself off the pitch.
Looks after himself physically and he is totally consumed by hurling - rarely without a stick in his hand.
A full panel of them and PJ might have a job more comparable to something in rival counties down below.

That wee Portaferry camog keeping Simon on his toes!!
;D

Easy now horse ;)
I did say he puts his hurling first :)

Last Man

Anyone seen the email from Jim o route staying that all challenge games club and county must be refereed by an official from outside the county and is therefore impartial. All for insurance reasons. Thereby implying that most refs cannot be impartial! What about that MR! More horse shite to make all our lives easier!

theskull1

It was all county challenge matches need a ref from a neutral county for insurance reasons
and
all club challenge games need a neutral ref for insurance reasons.

Indeed ... more horse shite

Our seniors played a challenge game at the weekend up in County Derry with an official neutral referee and it was a blood bath of a game which end up abandoned, so some good following the official guidelines done us there. A total dereliction of duty from the man who's job it is to protect players. 3 men with serious injuries as a result of the thuggish behaviour of the opposition.  He stood in the middle and let it happen. Apologies afterwards from their mentors and officials who had no control over their player discipline.  No doubt the referees report will tell a totally different story.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on March 14, 2016, 11:25:57 PM
It was all county challenge matches need a ref from a neutral county for insurance reasons
and

Our seniors played a challenge game at the weekend up in County Derry with an official neutral referee and it was a blood bath of a game which end up abandoned, so some good following the official guidelines done us there. A total dereliction of duty from the man who's job it is to protect players. 3 men with serious injuries as a result of the thuggish behaviour of the opposition.  He stood in the middle and let it happen. Apologies afterwards from their mentors and officials who had no control over their player discipline.  No doubt the referees report will tell a totally different story.

I've refereed these games... Both at minor and senior level, its a partnership between both teams and referee, he needs to be acutely aware of how the game unfolds and control the intensity without it flowing over into a sledging match.... Well that's the intention, what mangers say before these games or how certain players react to fouls/dirty strokes is out of the referees hands unfortunately and he should deal with it when it happens.... Regardless of it being a challenge game or not
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

What Derry club was that

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2016, 11:32:20 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 14, 2016, 11:25:57 PM
and

I've refereed these games... Both at minor and senior level, its a partnership between both teams and referee, he needs to be acutely aware of how the game unfolds and control the intensity without it flowing over into a sledging match.... Well that's the intention, what mangers say before these games or how certain players react to fouls/dirty strokes is out of the referees hands unfortunately and he should deal with it when it happens.... Regardless of it being a challenge game or not
Agreed MR, management certainly carry a large portion of the responsibility for some players behaviour. Should sanctions be extended to management for particular categories of indiscipline perhaps.

btdtgtt

Management? Surely you mean the Club?
How can a manager standing on a line take the brunt for someone having a rush of blood on the pitch?
How would any of you be encouraged to take a team - and then explain to your friends and family you are suspended because someone else hit a guy on the pitch?
Nonsense!

As for the actual regulation - I think a lot of well spirited games played by true Gaels would be suffering as a result of the few idiots. That's a terrible shame.

clootfromthe21

OK lads, 2 days out.

How do we think Thursday will go?

Feeling bizarrely confident the Dall will do it.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on March 15, 2016, 09:56:02 AM
OK lads, 2 days out.

How do we think Thursday will go?

Feeling bizarrely confident the Dall will do it.

very hard to call.  I think if cushendall can hit the ground running they have a chance
It's both terms first final so it could be down to who can keep their  composure

Imm going for Cusendall
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Last Man

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 15, 2016, 09:35:25 AM
Management? Surely you mean the Club?
How can a manager standing on a line take the brunt for someone having a rush of blood on the pitch?
How would any of you be encouraged to take a team - and then explain to your friends and family you are suspended because someone else hit a guy on the pitch?
Nonsense!

As for the actual regulation - I think a lot of well spirited games played by true Gaels would be suffering as a result of the few idiots. That's a terrible shame.
So you don't think the manager has any responsibility to instill discipline? Very rarely are these type of incidents out of character and when the damage is done it's done. No point in viewing the player insurance as a safety net for a working man either.