Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 14, 2016, 08:35:08 PM
Are there any slaughtneil players play for derry? Anyone at the game with a program able to answer that??

There is an issue with them and the County very few of them if any turn out for the under age set ups in Derry.

imtommygunn

Oh i thought it was just senior.  It's a pity to see that. Derry county board seem to have a pretty bad attitude to hurling.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 14, 2016, 09:32:27 PM
Oh i thought it was just senior.  It's a pity to see that. Derry county board seem to have a pretty bad attitude to hurling.

Are you suggesting slaughtneil issue is down to county board?

imtommygunn

Don't know enough about it to be honest but it's a general observation and i'm sure doesn't help.

MoChara

I thought the Slaughtneil boys issue was having to choose of Football or Hurling for the county?

I think maybe a few are being too negative after our first real match of the year and at that only the first half of the first match since we got 1-15 in the second half

btdtgtt

Great to hear Antrim aren't the only county feuding county then!
Agree away in mullingar should be the toughest test but if we can't get out of this division it really would have me in despair.

hurlingstick

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 15, 2016, 08:25:01 AM
Great to hear Antrim aren't the only county feuding county then!
Agree away in mullingar should be the toughest test but if we can't get out of this division it really would have me in despair.

The biggest issue with getting out of this division will be the playoff against a 1B side.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Have to agree with others here about ydays game, i thought we played crap for long periods of the game. Passing was dreadfull in the first half playing pointless balls to spaces no one was there.

It seems that we need to do a lot more work with regards to the system that we are going to play. It will take time to get right.

Thought Ciaran Clarke, Neil McAuley, Eddie and McKernan played well. Some bad shooting by Liam as well missing 2 shocking frees at the start of the game that Clarke had to take over. Was a poor enough game by Liam over all.

Saul McCaughan scored a peace of a point from a really tight angle when he came on, hopefully we get to see more of him.

Its def early days and the result is all that counted. There will be tougher games against Carlow and Westmeath to come as well.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Could be worse.... The Laois lads are looking rid of Cheddar ffs!!

Anyone who thought that we'd get a walkover in our first league game with new manager, different tactics employed and without players from Cushendall who have been our consistent players in defence and attack is deluded...

Lets get to the next game win it and improve on our performance... Some individual performances could improve which will bring us on again....

Our main target (league wise) is now to get to playoff against Laois (after that result v Kerry) and we are going towards that with a win
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dualta Duane

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2016, 08:55:08 PM
Hearing about a certain club (not mine) that's actively going round certain clubs that are struggling to field underage teams, that their better kids should hurl for them?? btdgtgtt, hardstation you hear about this??

MR2 - there are a few clubs at the minute that are seriously struggling to get teams out at hurling in under 12, 14 and 16. There is a simple reason for it - theyve not done enough work at under age to coach, be competitive, retain kids and attract new ones. If the club is not putting in a team at the age group then the kids and parents are entitled to look around and see what environment suits them best. Like wise why would clubs sit back and let some other club get good kids without putting forward a case for their own set up that have worked dam hard to create over years of hard work.

your own club wouldnt do it in the football - you dont need to look to far to see it! :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dualta Duane on February 15, 2016, 12:35:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2016, 08:55:08 PM
Hearing about a certain club (not mine) that's actively going round certain clubs that are struggling to field underage teams, that their better kids should hurl for them?? btdgtgtt, hardstation you hear about this??

MR2 - there are a few clubs at the minute that are seriously struggling to get teams out at hurling in under 12, 14 and 16. There is a simple reason for it - theyve not done enough work at under age to coach, be competitive, retain kids and attract new ones. If the club is not putting in a team at the age group then the kids and parents are entitled to look around and see what environment suits them best. Like wise why would clubs sit back and let some other club get good kids without putting forward a case for their own set up that have worked dam hard to create over years of hard work.

your own club wouldnt do it in the football - you dont need to look to far to see it! :)

I wouldn't be for it at my club either, I've said that, I've also said for many years that there are too many clubs in Belfast and that causes this problem of fielding teams... A joined up approach is needed for that too.... My beef lets say is coaches going to certain players (better players) and trying to coax or poach them away with tales of winning championships!!

By all means and we've had sanction players in the past (some have stayed, others have went back) facilitate these lads with games at another club, just don't take the best ones cause the other ones will wonder what's the point!! I don't know, call me old fashion but people that do that are dciks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MoChara

Andy Watters
16 February, 2016 01:00

NEAL McAULEY had a tough time of it last Sunday. In the first-half, the Ballycastle clubman faced into the icy wind that whistled down Celtic Park towards the Foyle and helped carry a series of monster frees from Derry's Ruairi Convery over Antrim's bar.

Then, in the second-half, the full-back and skipper was blinded by the low spring sun that meant he could only guess where the sliotar was when the Oak Leafers went on the attack. Fortunately for McAuley and his fellow Antrim defenders, Derry didn't muster too many attacks after the break. The visiting forwards and midfielders were well in control and Antrim made good a five-point deficit at half-time to win by six at the finish.

"We wanted two points and we got two points," said McAuley.

"We went about it the hard way in the first-half, but Derry came out and played very well in the first. We were a bit slow starting, but we got into it in the second-half. At the end of the day, we didn't play well, but we got two points. We ground out a victory."

Any notions Antrim's players might have had about cantering through Division 2A were quickly dispelled last Sunday. Derry were well worth their half-time lead and showed more stomach for battle throughout the first period.

"We were probably told a few home truths at half-time," McAuley admitted.

"We came up there and we maybe didn't give Derry the respect they deserve. We were sluggish and, at half-time, we said we were going to get the first few points on the board, which we did and we drive on from there."

Antrim host Kildare on Sunday and the Lilywhites won't travel north with much confidence after they lost 2-13 to 0-14 at home to Carlow: "Again, it's going to be a very difficult fixture," said McAuley.

"We have to show every team respect because this is our level and we have to accept that - we can't think we're better than anybody else, this is our level. It's a tough assignment next week, we're at home, hopefully at Ballycastle and, again, the plan will be to try and get two points.

"Our hardest task over the next few years will be to get out of this league because everybody is chomping to get out and the teams are all of a similar ability. It's going to be extremely tight and it could come down to points' difference."

As the game wore on, Antrim did look a class above their hosts and they picked up some fine scores in the game, with James Black and Saul McCaughey marking their debuts with points.

"To be fair, Derry are missing a lot of players, they've lost about 15 players over the last couple of years," said McAuley.

"You have to note that, but our hurling did show as well whenever we got a bit of time and space. It was good to see, but surely there's more to come from us. We're missing four or five players ourselves from the Cushendall lads and a few injuries but, after Cushendall finish the All-Ireland, hopefully the manager should have a full squad to pick from.

"It's good to get into the National League, we've been playing Conor McGurk Cup and Walsh Cup but, at the end of the day, the league is more important. We want to get wins and points on the board to see if we can get out of this division."

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/hurlingandcamogie/2016/02/16/news/antrim-full-back-neal-mcauley-relieved-to-come-through-celtic-park-test-418634/?param=ds441rif44T

hurlingstick

Ruari Convery is quality and a beast. His free taking is as good as I've seen. Neal McAuley did well to keep him quiet from play.  PS anyone know what height he is?

Link

6 " 10. eats 20 spuds and 20 chickens a day. uses a 42" hurl

hurlingstick

Quote from: Link on February 16, 2016, 02:33:18 PM
6 " 10. eats 20 spuds and 20 chickens a day. uses a 42" hurl

Hurlers don't eat spuds.