Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 07, 2016, 10:48:04 PM
Let's just not go there with the whole "it's a Belfast thing" argument. When it comes to sanctions I remember Cushendall teams with cushendun players wearing their own socks & shorts!
From St Patrick's to moy carraig Og excuse the spelling!
Not sure the exact case MR2 but I know the mckenna's to St. John's was very well prepared in advance and rossa seem to get players sanctioned from st Theresa's and a certain celebrity son from st brigids. I'm actually a real supporter of the sanction rules - I think it should be permitted right up to senior. We are miles behind southern counties in this where sanctions are routine.

Well I am... The thing is yes players should be playing regardless but with numbers dropping and if main players are enticed to go elsewhere to seek glory at juvenile level then clubs will fold as the other kids will say, WTF why bother as Sean is off to play with that other team!! And he's our main player

Look we need to stop the win at all costs mentality..... Some lads out there have more clubs than Tiger woods!!

On another note watch the under 16 development squad today at Uuj.... Good to see lads on a bitter day put the effort in at 10 am!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2016, 11:12:42 PM
Let's just not go there with the whole "it's a Belfast thing" argument. When it comes to sanctions I remember Cushendall teams with cushendun players wearing their own socks & shorts!
Not sure the exact case MR2 but I know the mckenna's to St. John's was very well prepared in advance and rossa seem to get players sanctioned from st Theresa's and a certain celebrity son from st brigids. I'm actually a real supporter of the sanction rules - I think it should be permitted right up to senior. We are miles behind southern counties in this where sanctions are routine.

Well I am... The thing is yes players should be playing regardless but with numbers dropping and if main players are enticed to go elsewhere to seek glory at juvenile level then clubs will fold as the other kids will say, WTF why bother as Sean is off to play with that other team!! And he's our main player

Look we need to stop the win at all costs mentality..... Some lads out there have more clubs than Tiger woods!!

On another note watch the under 16 development squad today at Uuj.... Good to see lads on a bitter day put the effort in at 10 am!!

Can you explain this a bit better MR2?
A player can only play under sanction if his parent club doesn't offer that code?
I'm not understanding how anyone can be enticed etc?
He's either sanctioned or lost to the sport - it's not a glory seeking thing at all is it?
Although in understand that win at all cost mentality and its crippling effect.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2016, 08:55:08 PM
Hearing about a certain club (not mine) that's actively going round certain clubs that are struggling to field underage teams, that their better kids should hurl for them?? btdgtgtt, hardstation you hear about this??

There's no need for a sanction rule U12 down as they're go games and you don't need 15 to field, well that's the case in Down, and I presume South Antrim is the same.

I'm presuming these sanctions are for U14 up?

Na Glinntí Glasa

went to the game on sat and predicited a dall win. I just felt that from watching them this season they just dont know when they are beaten.

Had the misfortune to sit with a few mouthy sarsfields fans who constantly moaned at every obvious foul coming out with crap like 'the refs justs feeling sorry for them nordie bast**ds, or croke park must be wanting to promote the game up there by sending a biased ref'. Made me laugh all the same.

Cdall played really well throughout the game and defended in packs. McCambridge was brilliant at corner back, he cleaned the corner forward out every single time. Campbell was also good at no6.

Were sarsfield poor? yes they were IMO but that doesnt detract from Cdalls win, the dal were simply better than them.

Cdall did shoot shocking wides, but so did Sarsfield at the end of the first half. Both teams were guilty of some poor use of the ball at times.

What was odd was how early in the game Sarsfields started to go for goal! If they had of stayed calm and took their points then the game could of been far more different.

I wish them all the best for the final and would like to see them win it. The Limerick men will take some beating as they look a quality side.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 07, 2016, 11:44:32 PM

A player can only play under sanction if his parent club doesn't offer that code?
He's either sanctioned or lost to the sport - it's not a glory seeking thing at all is it?

Yeah we have lads from Ballymena and Rasharkin playing hurling for our underage teams and football for their parent clubs. Their parent clubs dont offer hurling at that grade they are in due to lack of numbers so they come to us for hurling only.

They play for Dunloy on a monday evening in the hurling say and then against them on the thurs in the football!
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 08, 2016, 09:37:50 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on February 07, 2016, 11:44:32 PM

Yeah we have lads from Ballymena and Rasharkin playing hurling for our underage teams and football for their parent clubs. Their parent clubs dont offer hurling at that grade they are in due to lack of numbers so they come to us for hurling only.

They play for Dunloy on a monday evening in the hurling say and then against them on the thurs in the football!

Yeah I think the fact we are getting young lads playing a game that they would not normally get playing can only be good.
It is not their fault that their club cant field a team at that particular age group.

north_antrim_hound

As DR says we have some lads at underage playing from Ballymena and rasharkin
But its club policy only to take players that can't get any hurling with there own club, Mr2 would need to clarify if this is the case in this instance
DR sounds like you where sitting with a lot of sore losers
The sarsfield lads I was sitting with couldn't have been better
Real nice people
Sure if you where looking for someone lippy you don't have to drive to Navan 😃😃
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Na Glinntí Glasa

prob the reak of drink from them didnt help matters for them! lol

To be fair a few of them near us were good craic and when they found out where we were from i got the line i was dreading 'do you mind in that game we beat yee Cooney putting the line ball over from near the halfway line!' yes, i had tried to forget that moment! haha

On the transfer matter i think its a good thing if lads cant get hurling/football at their own club then they can go to another and get the game they want to play. It can only be good for them. The lads we have taken have been brilliant and credit to their own clubs and families.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

I heard it from a parent who's kid was approached to play for a 'better club' so I'm going with the story I was told by that parent... I could make it up but that would be silly

I have also said in my post that the kids shouldn't do without and not just the good kids, as some lads develop in hurling later in life and its those kids I'm worried about who may be lost to hurling as they don't want to get hammered as their best players are now playing elsewhere.....

Coaches from other clubs should not be doing this... Nothing wrong with what I posted. No need to name clubs or the coach either, that would be silly

BTW, goes for my own club too, if I heard a coach did it I would say same thing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on February 08, 2016, 01:49:13 PM
Milltown, if the player's club provides hurling at his age group, the player cannot go and play for another club. I think your story may be confused slightly. It may be the case that the player's club will not be able to participate in hurling this year due to lack of numbers and a coach from another team has approached and asked would he consider a sanction to his club if that is the case. That is not the same as poaching players from other clubs.

It's not confusing, I know the rules you are stating, I've managed juvenile teams for years so I'm aware of sanctions.... this club has a team and the coach has approached this lad to get him to play for a better club....

Some parents fall for this glory seeking (generally they haven't been part of a club) and don't have the affiliation that most clubmen do

north_antrim_hound

SIE any truth in the rumours Johnny Coen has moved to Antrim from Galway and transfered
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Sometimes its just the parents to blame. And as has been mentioned, usually parents from a non GAA background. We had a lad here in Derry who was amongst best U14s in county. His family background was all soccer. Therefore he transferred from a small club to big club for more success-ended up travelling an extra 15 miles. To be clear he wasn't approached by other club, nor did the lad indicate he wanted to leave. The parents wanted success, you usually find the most successful parents to deal with are those who played sport themselves and the worst are those who played very little and pass their ambitions onto their tortured offspring.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2016, 03:24:22 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 08, 2016, 01:49:13 PM
Milltown, if the player's club provides hurling at his age group, the player cannot go and play for another club. I think your story may be confused slightly. It may be the case that the player's club will not be able to participate in hurling this year due to lack of numbers and a coach from another team has approached and asked would he consider a sanction to his club if that is the case. That is not the same as poaching players from other clubs.

It's not confusing, I know the rules you are stating, I've managed juvenile teams for years so I'm aware of sanctions.... this club has a team and the coach has approached this lad to get him to play for a better club....

Some parents fall for this glory seeking (generally they haven't been part of a club) and don't have the affiliation that most clubmen do

Ok so this is a transfer as opposed to a sanction?

If it's purely for "glory-hunting" then that's wrong. Simple as.

If there's another reason I haven't heard of any such case unless you can shed some light.

MoChara

Antrim Senior Panel for National Hurling League

8TH FEBRUARY 2016

Share:
Loughgiel
Chrissy O'Connell
Liam Watson
Eddie McCloskey
Tony McCloskey
Dan McCloskey
Odhran McFadden

Ballycastle
Neal McAuley Capt
Stephen McAfee
Fergus Donnelly
Saul McCaughan
Ciaran Clarke

Dunloy
Gabby McTaggart
Conor McKinley

Carey
James Black

Clooney Gaels
Bernard Graham

St Johns
Simon McCrory
Barry McFall
Ciaran Johnson
Michael Bradley
Conor Johnson
Michael Dudley

Sarsfields
Kevin McKiernan
Daniel McKiernan
Niall McKenna

Rossa
Chris McGuinness
Stephen Beattie
Gerard Walsh
Conor McClelland
James Connolly

St Galls
Jackson McGreevy

Lamh Dhearg
Donal Nugent

Gort na Mona
Conor McCann

Glenarm
Darren Hamill

Cushendall lads will join the panel on 31.03.16
Ryan McCambridge
Eoghan Campbell
Conor Carson
Paddy Burke
Plus one other.

At that point five of the current panel will make way.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 08, 2016, 04:35:40 PM
SIE any truth in the rumours Johnny Coen has moved to Antrim from Galway and transfered
it's his brother.  And he couldn't hurl spuds to ducks.  So don't panic. Lol.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.