Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: johnneycool on November 20, 2015, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 20, 2015, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 20, 2015, 09:24:04 AM
Quote from: WTF u on about? on November 19, 2015, 11:04:38 PM
It's ok for some of u to say the league doesn't matter but that's only if ur at the top end of it! What about teams at the bottom of div1 /top of div 2?? Them playing a match without a couple of their best players could be the difference between promotion/relegation and the progression of their club! Clubs should have all their players for all games sure why would X y and z miss an important club game to sit on the bench for the county.

Thats my point. All this talk about 'we wont interfere with the clubs' nonsense falls to an arse at the first sight of a team thinking they have a chance to call a game off.

Clubs will look after their own interests first and foremost and if they have 2-3 main players in the team they will want to call a game off if its against a top/bottom team rival.

Then you will have people moan that there isnt enough games for our players to develop - again.

If the county senior team didn't interfere  with club fixtures - then why would any club be looking a match off?
I just really think that given the current level of our hurlers and the opposition we'll be up against - now more than ever is the time to give the club season some real unfettered life.
Noises are that PJ is open to this - it would be great to see - we have nothing to lose.
We've tried calling games off to wrap the county men in cotton wool for weeks before games - it hasn't worked.
Lets give it a go at playing our club season with real uninterrupted impetus - and see if that can in turn increase our playing pool.

Are you accepting that the intercounty hurlers may well end up playing two games in two days then?

Surely now with Antrim in the Christy Ring and Div 2 the county can try and fix the football games for the weeks the county Hurlers play on the Saturday, ok its not always going to work but I'm sure this can be done to a certain extent.

Na Glinntí Glasa

It's ok for some of u to say the league doesn't matter but that's only if ur at the top end of it! What about teams at the bottom of div1 /top of div 2?? Them playing a match without a couple of their best players could be the difference between promotion/relegation and the progression of their club! Clubs should have all their players for all games sure why would X y and z miss an important club game to sit on the bench for the county.

Thats my point. All this talk about 'we wont interfere with the clubs' nonsense falls to an arse at the first sight of a team thinking they have a chance to call a game off.

Clubs will look after their own interests first and foremost and if they have 2-3 main players in the team they will want to call a game off if its against a top/bottom team rival.

Then you will have people moan that there isnt enough games for our players to develop - again.

If the county senior team didn't interfere  with club fixtures - then why would any club be looking a match off?
I just really think that given the current level of our hurlers and the opposition we'll be up against - now more than ever is the time to give the club season some real unfettered life.
Noises are that PJ is open to this - it would be great to see - we have nothing to lose.
We've tried calling games off to wrap the county men in cotton wool for weeks before games - it hasn't worked.
Lets give it a go at playing our club season with real uninterrupted impetus - and see if that can in turn increase our playing pool.

it happened last season to ourselves and the season before. the county game was a week a way and a club wouldnt play us due to them not wanting to play without their main players.

If the games are on a sat next season and a potential Div 1 league the next day its more or likely going to happen again.

All im saying is be prepared for it to happen more often.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 20, 2015, 11:22:41 AM

it happened last season to ourselves and the season before. the county game was a week a way and a club wouldnt play us due to them not wanting to play without their main players.

If the games are on a sat next season and a potential Div 1 league the next day its more or likely going to happen again.

All im saying is be prepared for it to happen more often.

Do you think some clubs will not play games as their top (intercounty) players have played the day before and won't be fresh?

Na Glinntí Glasa

as i say, it happened last season past when the county wouldn't let them play a week before the game.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 20, 2015, 11:37:03 AM
as i say, it happened last season past when the county wouldn't let them play a week before the game.

Ah sure PJ won't be at that bullshittery! You'll be playing the day after a CR game.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: johnneycool on November 20, 2015, 12:12:36 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 20, 2015, 11:37:03 AM

Ah sure PJ won't be at that bullshittery! You'll be playing the day after a CR game.

;D heres hoping
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 20, 2015, 02:07:40 PM
;D heres hoping

I'm sure a fair few county players who arrive home near midnight on the Saturday night wouldn't think that DR. We can't be blind to the fact that 2 games plus travel inside 24hrs is a recipe for soft tissue injury.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on November 20, 2015, 03:06:04 PM
;D heres hoping

I'm sure a fair few county players who arrive home near midnight on the Saturday night wouldn't think that DR. We can't be blind to the fact that 2 games plus travel inside 24hrs is a recipe for soft tissue injury.

Comes back to the clubs then and using common sense, seeing the bigger picture. I dont think if a player was coming tired and sore from a heavy game the day before than many managers wouldnt look and say take the day off this is a league game.

Fair enough I take the point that those scrapping to stay in the league may not take that view, but if they sort out the holiday/ stag party issues themselves first then they would be better placed through the whole season never mind their county player issues.

Last Man

Quote from: NAG1 on November 20, 2015, 03:12:53 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 20, 2015, 03:06:04 PM
;D heres hoping

Comes back to the clubs then and using common sense, seeing the bigger picture. I dont think if a player was coming tired and sore from a heavy game the day before than many managers wouldnt look and say take the day off this is a league game.

Fair enough I take the point that those scrapping to stay in the league may not take that view, but if they sort out the holiday/ stag party issues themselves first then they would be better placed through the whole season never mind their county player issues.

Something we will just have to get on with where the resources of your squad will determine your standing in the league and if you end up in a relegation situation that's the level your club is at realistically. There's only so much can be done to accommodate and keep a reasonable length of season.  Otherwise we just forget intercounty hurling.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on November 20, 2015, 09:58:30 AM

Are you accepting that the intercounty hurlers may well end up playing two games in two days then?

I'm not oblivious to fixture issues.
What I mean is that a max of 18-20 hurlers are involved in say a CR game v Kildare on a Saturday. Clubs effected could play the Wednesday before or the Monday after - a bit like soccer does with European fixtures.
Sure, there may be once or twice daylight doesn't permit this.
So maybe some guys might have 2 games in 2 days once or twice the whole year. Their clubs might voluntarily rest them!
But the point is that this is rare - so the huge majority of playing population with clubs does not come to a standstill for 18-20 to go to Kildare.
It's the bigger picture - broadening the player base my broadening the amount of competitive hurling for everyone.

BigPat83

I would like to thank all my friends and family and all of you who have wished me good luck and good wishes in my new post. I am and always will be a Loughgiel man. That i will cherish and honour til i die and instill in my family. I am and always will be indebted to my parents and my club. I have been lucky enough to manage the greatest group of players in my time in Loughgiel. I have been lucky to work with tbe greatest coach in my time in Antrim. I am glad i brought him to my club...Loughgiel shamrocks. I am hououred to think that other clubs think I am capable of manageing our County team. Whilst maybe not the most popular choice I will die trying to make Antrim a great and successful team. Whilst I am not the first choice of many...i was chosen...after two interviews. I ask my club..my friends...my foes and anyone interested in promoting Antrim hurling to give me and my team a chance. #BELIEVE  Pj O Mullan.

btdtgtt

Quote from: BigPat83 on November 21, 2015, 01:22:21 AM
I would like to thank all my friends and family and all of you who have wished me good luck and good wishes in my new post. I am and always will be a Loughgiel man. That i will cherish and honour til i die and instill in my family. I am and always will be indebted to my parents and my club. I have been lucky enough to manage the greatest group of players in my time in Loughgiel. I have been lucky to work with tbe greatest coach in my time in Antrim. I am glad i brought him to my club...Loughgiel shamrocks. I am hououred to think that other clubs think I am capable of manageing our County team. Whilst maybe not the most popular choice I will die trying to make Antrim a great and successful team. Whilst I am not the first choice of many...i was chosen...after two interviews. I ask my club..my friends...my foes and anyone interested in promoting Antrim hurling to give me and my team a chance. #BELIEVE  Pj O Mullan.

Perfect!

BigPat83

First get together today and poor enough numbers truth be told. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigPat83 on November 21, 2015, 02:01:26 PM

Tomorrow at jordanstown??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: BigPat83 on November 21, 2015, 02:01:26 PM
How many were there?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"