Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on October 27, 2015, 10:17:39 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2015, 10:04:48 AM
I'm sure James is covering games in mid Ulster during the year and not just Cavan... Which would be intermediate level at best and junior b at worst.. The Ulster council are promoting referee's in Ulster ....

If we start giving referees top games from down South what message does that give to  referee's with ambition from Ulster?? Munster won't be on the phone to Ulster to swap referees for provincial games...

Would either of the teams on Sunday been miffed if Hasson or Cunning was in charge? Here are the options fave these lads more games in Antrim, Derry and Down ... Plus there is no guarantee that Barry Kelly would have a stormer

Ive yet to see one of these MR2

Yes we need to promote out Ulster refs but you dont do this through our show piece final.

Neither club would have had a problem with one of the top refs in the province being given this game. It shows them that they are being taken seriously and being given the best Ulster referee.

Well its an option.... But lets not be too fussy on the man himself, he's worked hard at his trade and been given the role, it can only make him better with getting higher profile games, a poster pointed out earlier he's football referee, that's not the case, he'd get the odd football game, referee's mainly hurling...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2015, 10:29:24 AM
I'm sure James is covering games in mid Ulster during the year and not just Cavan... Which would be intermediate level at best and junior b at worst.. The Ulster council are promoting referee's in Ulster ....

If we start giving referees top games from down South what message does that give to  referee's with ambition from Ulster?? Munster won't be on the phone to Ulster to swap referees for provincial games...

Would either of the teams on Sunday been miffed if Hasson or Cunning was in charge? Here are the options fave these lads more games in Antrim, Derry and Down ... Plus there is no guarantee that Barry Kelly would have a stormer

Yes we need to promote out Ulster refs but you dont do this through our show piece final.

Neither club would have had a problem with one of the top refs in the province being given this game. It shows them that they are being taken seriously and being given the best Ulster referee.

Well its an option.... But lets not be too fussy on the man himself, he's worked hard at his trade and been given the role, it can only make him better with getting higher profile games, a poster pointed out earlier he's football referee, that's not the case, he'd get the odd football game, referee's mainly hurling...

I for one wasnt giving out about him personally, I just think that there should be a recognised pathway for lower tier county referees to follow to get to the biggest day in Ulster club hurling.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on October 27, 2015, 10:56:50 AM

I for one wasnt giving out about him personally, I just think that there should be a recognised pathway for lower tier county referees to follow to get to the biggest day in Ulster club hurling.

I agree, I'm behind selection based on how you perform throughout the yeah based on feedback from assessors and from various managers with the leagues... Does that happen? I'm not convinced on that score to be honest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on October 27, 2015, 10:56:50 AM

Agreed, and if there isn't a suitable referee at the prerequisite standard then go outside the province.

btdtgtt

Fully agree with going outside a province - any province - it's so short sighted to think otherwise.
What does the provincial line in a map matter for a referee?

And on a side note - I'm no fan of the assessor reports.
Sure it's just another opinion. Who's to says it is any better or any less slanted?

There's no perfect system so let's not pretend that the current methods are best practice either.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 27, 2015, 02:08:12 PM
Fully agree with going outside a province - any province - it's so short sighted to think otherwise.

Sure it's just another opinion. Who's to says it is any better or any less slanted?

There's no perfect system so let's not pretend that the current methods are best practice either.

It does matter because referees are club men and county men too.

They are volunteers the same as the players and if we have capable referees (which we do) then use them.
Going outside the province for a referee undermines every ref in the province, this was plainly evident from the recent schools game.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on October 27, 2015, 02:21:52 PM

It does matter because referees are club men and county men too.

They are volunteers the same as the players and if we have capable referees (which we do) then use them.
Going outside the province for a referee undermines every ref in the province, this was plainly evident from the recent schools game.

I'm not sure about the school's game - but if a ref has to be from outside a county participating in ca club game - aren't we therefore questioning their biased? Surely we'd never suggest an official ref can be biased ;)

On the initial debate:
Does going outside a club therefore undermine every club member as the manager?

Does going outside the county undermine every coach within?

I'm not necessarily arguing either side - what I'm questioning is the when we decide borders are definitive lines on maps - and when we toss that away for the best candidate?

Milltown Row2

They are detailed enough with plenty detail... In reflection reading the write ups I can totally see where they are coming from... To not having them would mean no means of ensuring the referee knows what he's doing and if he's doing it right is he consistent?  My only bug bear would be is it used to decide who gets games, and its not, names are sent to county executive and they decide on who gets the job.... I don't know how many games the county executive go to during the league but I doubt not a lot collectively....

That ain't sour grapes by me either, I've been in England a lot and missed stuff at the start... And like I said before, a div 4 game is as "interesting" to referee as a Div one game  ;D

You can usually tell who'll get the big games each year, all good whistle men in my opinion and all did great jobs too....

Anyways bit of a wait now, was that the last league games this weekend??  Understrength Johnnies went down to Ballycran on Sunday, bit of a dead rubber for both

btdtgtt

MR2 the detail and how they are used is all based on the assumption that the assessor is right.
He may not be. And that undermines the process.
That's all my point was.
Agree with the rest.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 27, 2015, 06:59:43 PM
MR2 the detail and how they are used is all based on the assumption that the assessor is right.
He may not be. And that undermines the process.
That's all my point was.
Agree with the rest.

Tommy McIntyre has done my games, and to be fair with him and his judgement I'd say he was spot on

btdtgtt

Tommy McIntyre = Best ref ever to come out of Antrim in my opinion.
But I know of some guys assessing that quite frankly the less detail on that sheet the better!
That said I've no idea of a really suitable process to assign refs so I'll leave it there!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Deal with Paul O'Neill a fair few times with the camogie myself and ive found him to be a very good ref. Nice man to work with on the pitch and off it.

Cant have Owen Elliott the way he talks to people on the pitch. he has a bad way with speaking to people, not a bad ref but has no people skills. Eamonn Hasson is as good as you will get out there.

MR2 isnt bad himself :D
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 28, 2015, 09:53:53 AM
Deal with Paul O'Neill a fair few times with the camogie myself and ive found him to be a very good ref. Nice man to work with on the pitch and off it.

Cant have Owen Elliott the way he talks to people on the pitch. he has a bad way with speaking to people, not a bad ref but has no people skills. Eamonn Hasson is as good as you will get out there.

I agree DR, the way Owen Elliot speaks to players & officials is really bad at times. Eamonn Hasson is a gentleman, I also find Jackie Carson a very good ref that allows the game to flow.

MoChara

Cork hurling legend tipped for key role alongside potential new Antrim boss

Justin McCarthy will work alongside PJ O'Mullan if he's appointed as new Saffrons supremo.

Justin McCarthy is in line to work with the Antrim hurlers. Justin McCarthy is in line to work with the Antrim hurlers.

A LEADING ANTRIM GAA official has confirmed this morning that Cork hurling legend Justin McCarthy is in line for a role on a potential new management team in the county.

If PJ O'Mullan is successful in his quest to succeed Kevin Ryan as Antrim supremo, he will be enlisting the services of McCarthy as consultant.
McCarthy famously guided Waterford to a breakthrough Munster SHC title win in 2002 and he was also in charge of Limerick for an ill-fated spell in later years.

Source: INPHO
Under McCarthy's guidance, the Shannonsiders suffered a crushing 2009 All-Ireland semi-final defeat against Tipperary before he was faced with a player mutiny in the following season.
But McCarthy is fondly remembered in Cork as a former All-Ireland, Munster and National League medallist.
Over the years, McCarthy has forged close links in Antrim, helping out with club and intercounty teams in coaching capacities.

Antrim PRO Sean Fleming confirmed to The42 this morning that McCarthy's name has been linked with the PJ O'Mullan ticket.
Former Loughgiel Shamrocks manager O'Mullan is the hot tip to step into the role vacated by Waterford native Kevin Ryan.
Candidates will be interviewed by former Allstar Ciarán Barr and two members of the county board executive, Fleming explained.

PJ O'Mullan is tipped to become the next Antrim senior hurling manager.

"We're hoping to have it done and dusted within ten days," said Fleming.
That will ensure a new man is in place before Antrim begin pre-season training in mid-November.
"Justin's role with PJ would be as a consultant, it wouldn't be a full-time role," Fleming added.
"He wouldn't be up and down at every training session.
"He's definitely linked to PJ," Fleming said.
"To be fair to Justin, he would know a lot of people in Antrim, from club and county level.
"He's always had close links here and is very highly thought of.
"There are others still in the hunt, however, and it would be unfair to say who's favourite or otherwise," Fleming stressed.

http://www.the42.ie/justin-mccarthy-antrim-hurling-2411243-Oct2015/

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 28, 2015, 11:01:24 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 28, 2015, 09:53:53 AM

I agree DR, the way Owen Elliot speaks to players & officials is really bad at times. Eamonn Hasson is a gentleman, I also find Jackie Carson a very good ref that allows the game to flow.

Yeah Jackie is turning into a good ref. He has the respect of the players on the pitch it seems and lets be honest are you going to argue with the big man  ;D

Ive seen skinny ref a few times and i have to be honest i think hes pretty good also. He lets the game go and talks to the players throughout the game.
hurl like f**k boi!