Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2015, 09:43:31 AM
Kilkenny are a machine, they won the all ireland without being really tested in any of the matches they played. They just keep churning them out over and over.

A joy to watch them play. Felt sorry for Galway fans more so yday

Ant thoughts on the All-Ireland structure as part of the bigger picture?
Tipp people feel winning Munster left them a long time without a game so they were caught cold against Galway.
How many top level games did Kilkenny win to capture an All-Ireland?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 07, 2015, 10:36:34 AM
Kilkenny are a machine, they won the all ireland without being really tested in any of the matches they played. They just keep churning them out over and over.

Tipp people feel winning Munster left them a long time without a game so they were caught cold against Galway.
They do get an easy passage through Leinster partly due to the demise of Offaly and Wexford
It's means they can peak at the right time
Tipp where rusty v Galway and where trying to scrape through for a final
Hats of to Kilkenny you just can't argue with their record but a bit more resistance earlier in the year in Leinster woukd make it more intresting
I think the hurling this year has been poor and nobody gave the cats a good 70 minutes
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

Galway and Dublin are in Leinster too though

Kilkenny face the same problem as Tipp did this year pretty much every year with the wait. They're pretty much as challenged in Leinster as they are anywhere.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 07, 2015, 10:36:34 AM

Leinster on paper should be competitive when you have Wexford, Dublin and Galway in there so in effect Kilkenny should get good games. Truth is they didnt, they did what they did yday in the second half and they turned the screw on teams and won the game.

Lets be honest, it wasnt a great championship this year and a lot of the big teams didnt play particularly well. Clare, Waterford, Cork etc all under performed this summer. Offaly and wexford didnt count, Tipp didnt play to their potential in the semi final against galway. One player kept them in the match and rest didnt show.

Kilkenny have a good working formula and they keep doing it well. If its not broke etc. What they do have is a brilliant structure in the schools where all the kids play. its hurling first and foremost. Not gaelic, soccer, rugby etc its hurling and thats all they care for.

I have friends in Thurles and he wont allow his children to ever buy a soccer shirt, its a foreign game he told me. They play hurling and camogie, thats their game. They had a family birthday party at the house the last time i was there and there was kids from Cork, Clare, Limerick and Tipp. Each and every one of the (boys and girls) all played county hurling and camogie thru development squads etc. each one turned up to the party with a stick and ball! i was amazed by it. They have a different love of the game imo.

I always find it patronizing when they say 'here its good to see you all keeping the hurling going up there in antrim' but the truth is that we are doing just that. The limerick county chairman was at that party and told me it straight how it was. It was harsh but true. We do enough and thats it, but were strangled by our limitations in numbers and distance from good quality handy games.
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

Anyone going to call the result of Ballycastle v Dunloy?  Tough one.

cfclg

I think the town are going to finally take a major cship scalp and put Dunloy to the sword. Won't win it though, but a final spot could be seen as some sort of progress.

CitySlicker11

Loughiel v Dunloy final

hurlingstick

It's hard to call as it was last year. Ballycastle have had a bit of upheaval with the change of management but I think they shade it slightly with regards to squad. I think it will come down to the old cliché - who wants it most?

Megaman

No BS etc etc

But really cant see past a Loughgiel v Dunloy Final

Na Glinntí Glasa

Loughgiel will have that bit extra for Cdall. Their experience should see them over the line.

Our game, God. It can go either way IMO. Have to go with the heart and say another tight game and a 2 point win.

hurl like f**k boi!

Sleeping giant

Quote from: hurlingstick on September 08, 2015, 09:52:30 AM
Anyone going to call the result of Ballycastle v Dunloy?  Tough one.
dunloy by 5 or 6 points, the other one is hard to call. But looking forward to a weekends hurling. May the best two teams win. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Two Hands FFS

They are hard matches to call. I do fancy Dunloy on Sat and i'm not sure about Sunday, alot could depend on the Dall's injuries I suppose. I'm sure all 4 are training hard and fancy their chances.

btdtgtt

Here's hoping we get two great games!

My nephew hurls U12 for Rossa so called in to a game against St John's this evening.
Some really fantastic wee players and teams obviously well coached with ex-seniors on the line.
Both teams won recently in Tipperary.
Still some parents with slightly too much to say (maybe just because of the clubs rivalry)
But great way to spend and evening did the heart & soul good!

hurlingstick

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 08, 2015, 09:12:16 PM

My nephew hurls U12 for Rossa so called in to a game against St John's this evening.
Some really fantastic wee players and teams obviously well coached with ex-seniors on the line.
Still some parents with slightly too much to say (maybe just because of the clubs rivalry)

It was St. Galls - Nipper Quinn semi.

Gizzy15

Quote from: hurlingstick on September 08, 2015, 09:24:47 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 08, 2015, 09:12:16 PM

It was St. Galls - Nipper Quinn semi.

St Johns played paddies first, followed by Rossa v Galls. Good hurlers on every team but still plenty of time for development ( which is lost on some people at the first sign of competition).