Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Cloot I'm not saying south Antrim are the most successful body - but the true picture of divisional boards is more complex / varied in recent times.
For example - I don't believe endas / rossa / johnnies should be in NA leagues. They should be all-county leagues.
And when these clubs did join - they were initially tasked with playing all games away from home!
A ridiculous insular move by NA which hardly had the good of the whole county (particularly kids) at heart.
These teams felt they had no option but to leave SA leagues due to the small number of teams - in truth the county as whole should (and did) take ownership eventually.
By the way the disparity wasn't just a SA thing - Derry teams were also "propping up" so called NA Leagues which also had huge differences in teams levels like SA. There became a NA leagues in name only before the county took ownership anyway. So hardly a cause for comparing NA to SA.

Bear in mind again the football element run in SA not NA and you will see the divisional board slant doesn't really hold water - although I will almost contradict myself and say SA Board has huge improvements to make.

We've too many clubs in Belfast - we need better organisation - better coaching and facilities - all true!
But any notion of a "desert" in Belfast and a hurling oasis above Ballymena carrying the rest isn't a fair reflection.

Speaking to NA people they also talk of a decline in numbers and standards - and club amalgamations.
After all - the proof is in the pudding - look at our county senior hurling team - the manifestation of issues around the whole county.

Like I say - it's a whole county and wider solution needed - not finger pointing.

theskull1

You need the right amount of raw material in the form of interested adults prepared to make well understood structures work. We are full of cracks, but that's not to take away from anyone who's trying their best to make Antrim hurling as strong as possible.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 03, 2015, 02:03:58 PM
This thread is getting very boring and predictable.

You still have your annoying pr1cks (they don't need to be named).

MR2 - who has an opinion on everything but doesn't have the b@lls to criticise another ref if they have a poor game or the CB for fear of getting demoted to Div 4.

SIE - Same old, same old, playing down his teams chances of winning the championship, bla bla bla.  Don't know how LW got on the pitch against St Galls with SIE hanging from his @ss.
(PS - Is it true someone will need binoculars for the next round of the SHC. :-X :-) )

Everyone can talk all they want about St Johns being unlucky, Cushendall getting out of jail etc etc.

The result is determined by the score at the end of the game, not at half time or with 5 mins to go.

St Johns were flying, Cushendall's problems with injuries had been well enough documented, St Johns were coming to cause an upset - close but no cigar!

Mainly done div 3 and under age this year and you've obviously not heard me talk about or seem my numerous rants about the county board... But sure post your post, means nowt to me whether its under 12 or south Antrim beer belly league
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 03, 2015, 05:29:01 PM
Cloot I'm not saying south Antrim are the most successful body - but the true picture of divisional boards is more complex / varied in recent times.
For example - I don't believe endas / rossa / johnnies should be in NA leagues. They should be all-county leagues.
And when these clubs did join - they were initially tasked with playing all games away from home!
A ridiculous insular move by NA which hardly had the good of the whole county (particularly kids) at heart.
These teams felt they had no option but to leave SA leagues due to the small number of teams - in truth the county as whole should (and did) take ownership eventually.
By the way the disparity wasn't just a SA thing - Derry teams were also "propping up" so called NA Leagues which also had huge differences in teams levels like SA. There became a NA leagues in name only before the county took ownership anyway. So hardly a cause for comparing NA to SA.

Bear in mind again the football element run in SA not NA and you will see the divisional board slant doesn't really hold water - although I will almost contradict myself and say SA Board has huge improvements to make.

We've too many clubs in Belfast - we need better organisation - better coaching and facilities - all true!
But any notion of a "desert" in Belfast and a hurling oasis above Ballymena carrying the rest isn't a fair reflection.

Speaking to NA people they also talk of a decline in numbers and standards - and club amalgamations.
After all - the proof is in the pudding - look at our county senior hurling team - the manifestation of issues around the whole county.

Like I say - it's a whole county and wider solution needed - not finger pointing.

This may sound stupid, but IMO there aren't too many clubs in Belfast when in comes to underage where the youngsters should be exposed to hurling and football in equal measure, week about, BUT there are probably too many clubs in Belfast when it comes to adult hurling to seriously compete at senior level due to the spread in resources.
From being involved with my own clubs underage setups, it seems that the regular blitzes are a bit haphazard in Belfast, but more regular in North Antrim, even the Derry set up is more controlled by their fulltime coaches as they centralise theirs in Owenbeg once a month (IIRC) and its controlled by Kevin Hinphey.

Currently the Down set up is a mess with clubs regularly pulling out of hosting the blitzes and its the same old same olds who run them!

Na Glinntí Glasa

my oldest nephew is just started P6. Each and every weekend he would appear at mine (generally wanting to go to McDonalds or similar food outlet!) and i would ask what hes at this weekend.

The response is always the same - hurling training, football training, hurling match, football match. Thats all he does and he loves it but what it shows to me is that our kids are constantly getting to train, play and learn in our area at least which is great.

Im sure theres loads of other clubs the same who are constantly playing all the time. I see a blitz ran there the other week in dunloy on the sat morning, serious amount of kids and teams all playing matches. I stopped into watch a bit and i couldnt help but smile and laugh as one of the teams scored a goal and they all ran celebrating.

You would hope that these kids get this all the time in antrim and that they dont have long periods of not playing games or training. I can honestly say that our academy is bearing the fruits now when you see our current crop of kids that are about. All our kids should be getting that chance.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 04, 2015, 09:48:26 AM

This may sound stupid, but IMO there aren't too many clubs in Belfast when in comes to underage where the youngsters should be exposed to hurling and football in equal measure, week about, BUT there are probably too many clubs in Belfast when it comes to adult hurling to seriously compete at senior level due to the spread in resources.
From being involved with my own clubs underage setups, it seems that the regular blitzes are a bit haphazard in Belfast, but more regular in North Antrim, even the Derry set up is more controlled by their fulltime coaches as they centralise theirs in Owenbeg once a month (IIRC) and its controlled by Kevin Hinphey.

Currently the Down set up is a mess with clubs regularly pulling out of hosting the blitzes and its the same old same olds who run them!

Well Feck you, You'll not be invited to our club one then  >:(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 04, 2015, 10:43:25 AM

When is it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 04, 2015, 10:45:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 04, 2015, 10:43:25 AM

When is it?

Sheehan tournament... I normally referee them every year but I was in England this time round. Your lads normally do well, held usually week after Mayday

btdtgtt

Yes Johnny - there's loads of blitzes etc in Belfast - they are run through various Club tournaments rather than Centralised however. Perhaps the Club men have found they are better at that job rather than SA Board?!

Your point being that there's not too many clubs at underage but there is at senior?
If this was true - How could it possibly be rectified?
Tell certain clubs there are only allowed to exist until minor - then all their players have to go elsewhere? That's just nuts.

In truth - The current problem is that there are too many clubs when the kids start. Just look at the number of Clubs who can no longer field at younger age groups!
Some don't field in hurling - so the kids are lost to the sport.
Some amalgamate due to lack of numbers - this raises issues with identity and cohesion (including discipline) and so we lose the players.
Also, when a lad does keep at it up until say U16 or minor - then his club doesn't field - he stops playing rather than transfer to a "bigger" club. End result = players lost.

In truth, I know of barely any Belfast gaels who don't appreciate the problem of too many Clubs.
But none, myself included, know of a solution.
The very fact that we have the continual stream of losing players (due to the points above never mind 'other' issues) as they go up age groups proves the case.

Last Man

A few of the issues for me are, clubs are now considered leisure centres even with families with a gaa background. So trips to watch Celtic or other such shite or clearing off to the caravan for the summer etc always take priority.
The most important thing for me however is the standard of coaching coupled with the ability to engage and motivate youngsters in greater belfast is barring a few exceptions is piss poor. The numbers of coaches available contributes to this but isnt the only reason. Until we improve the standard of our offering then this is as good as it gets or worse.

theskull1

hurlingstick

Any word on nominees for senior hurling post?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 03, 2015, 02:03:58 PM
This thread is getting very boring and predictable.

You still have your annoying pr1cks (they don't need to be named).

MR2 - who has an opinion on everything but doesn't have the b@lls to criticise another ref if they have a poor game or the CB for fear of getting demoted to Div 4.

SIE - Same old, same old, playing down his teams chances of winning the championship, bla bla bla.  Don't know how LW got on the pitch against St Galls with SIE hanging from his @ss.
(PS - Is it true someone will need binoculars for the next round of the SHC. :-X :-) )

Everyone can talk all they want about St Johns being unlucky, Cushendall getting out of jail etc etc.

The result is determined by the score at the end of the game, not at half time or with 5 mins to go.

St Johns were flying, Cushendall's problems with injuries had been well enough documented, St Johns were coming to cause an upset - close but no cigar!
?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: theskull1 on September 03, 2015, 12:59:26 PM
Surely Loughgiel with the strongest group of hurlers is awash with tickets from all their county players? 

Oh thats right .... how could I forget !!  ::)  ;)

Maybe next year
Aye, indeed. Maybe if they're selected they'll get a run out and a few tickets.  Sure who knows, Antrim might even win a game.  ;)

Tickets are available if you know where to look. Not many hurling fans West of Lough Neagh.  ;D
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"