Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Bog may have been harsh but you'd have to admit that playing a double header on a pitch that was pretty soft in places would be bordering on stupidity, especially when Dunloy had to move their league match last weekend.
Fair enough this was not Dunloys decision to hold the 2 matches there but I think it's unfair on the 4 teams involved. Surely you can see the logic in that?

btdtgtt

Quote from: Leftbackno4 on September 02, 2015, 09:27:01 AM
I think the reasons for Antrims current standing in the hurling world have been well documented on this board and they are many and varied, but I'm trying very hard to get my head around the blame (even partially) being laid at the door of Belfast clubs while we are supposedly relying on the usual North Antrim clubs for player development. How many North Antrim clubs burden themselves by developing football players to inter county standard ? How many North Antrim clubs have senior dual players and how many play Div 1 football and hurling while the 3 Belfast senior clubs Rossa, St Johns & St Galls are trying to balance the demands of both ? With a few notable exceptions how many inter county hurlers are regularly produced from the South West Antrim clubs ? This is not just a Belfast problem.

A serious debate is required about whether dual clubs splitting our meagre resources has any future in the progression of Gaelic games in general and hurling in particular in Antrim and if trying to accommodate both hurling and football leagues that don't clash is really helping anyone in the longer term. We are facing a tough future and we need to be able to take tough decisions together. Loughgeil, Cushendall, Kilkenny, Donegal, Tryone, Kerry etc show the way i.e. Concentrate on one code and have a chance at success.The dual counties and 'super clubs' of Cork and Dublin are the exceptions that prove the rule and a winning dual club/ county is becoming even more of an exception.

We face lots of problems e.g. no county ground or a centre of excellence for our development teams, ( just look at the embarrassing situation of Inadequate pitches for the Antrim cup games with Kilkenny and Dublin at UUJ never mind the Casement debacle) under resourced coaching structures, lack of funding and sponsorship for our county teams, schools participation and coaching that is decades behind successful counties etc etc. These are the real challenges we need to face together and whatever the  strategy devised we need to commit to doing something or we will keep getting similar results while other counties overtake us in these areas.

Again - not much to disagree with - but I don't think wither the original posters were "blaming" the City clubs. The problems exist - but they are not necessarily caused by Belfast clubs at all.
We can all agree on that. And equally to resolve them cannot be done in the City alone.
I've always made the point about Belfast being more prone to the dual codes - and you are entirely right in that.
Wouldn't St Galls Rossa St Johns etc love the luxury of only preparing for one championship at a time like Cargin or Loughgiel! Even those in those clubs must acknowledge the huge advantage they have in this repsect.
That said - where do we (everyone) go from the current predicament?
It's not about blame, it's about recognising the issues, and doing something about it. (again everyone).

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on September 02, 2015, 11:17:22 AM
Bog may have been harsh but you'd have to admit that playing a double header on a pitch that was pretty soft in places would be bordering on stupidity, especially when Dunloy had to move their league match last weekend.
Fair enough this was not Dunloys decision to hold the 2 matches there but I think it's unfair on the 4 teams involved. Surely you can see the logic in that?

We live in a rain infested country thats the bother lol there isnt many pitches that can take that sort of rain and not be cut up. Last thurs night both pitches were flooded after a massive down pour which left surface water all over it. Maybe if games were played earlier in the season we wouldnt be playing big games in soggy pitches
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

I'm totally bowled over by the issue you're making about this two hands. I really don't get it.

A pitch can be unplayable one day and playable the next ... you do know this?  Sounds like you don't. Good job others do.

The rain the previous weekend from the early hours of Sunday morning was biblical. There was 3 matches played on it between then and the Championship games last Sunday and there was one last night since. The pitch was clearly playable and has not shown any signs of damage since the double header on Sunday.

You do know that even the likes of Casement has been unplayable in the past after heavy overnight rain?

You do know that teams play hurling in the winter on much softer pitches? Will you be consistent with this 'unfair' to both teams 'logic'?

I think you're the one who needs to re-calibrate their logic. Making an issue where there wasn't one on the day and claiming stupidity in the decision making to stage the games there. Of course given enough games in Dunloy, you'll be proved right eventually  :-\ (a stopped clock springs to mind)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on September 02, 2015, 12:33:32 PM

I'm totally bowled over by the issue you're making about this two hands. I really don't get it.

A pitch can be unplayable one day and playable the next ... you do know this?  Sounds like you don't. Good job others do.

The rain the previous weekend from the early hours of Sunday morning was biblical. There was 3 matches played on it between then and the Championship games last Sunday and there was one last night since. The pitch was clearly playable and has not shown any signs of damage since the double header on Sunday.

You do know that even the likes of Casement has been unplayable in the past after heavy overnight rain?

You do know that teams play hurling in the winter on much softer pitches? Will you be consistent with this 'unfair' to both teams 'logic'?

I think you're the one who needs to re-calibrate their logic. Making an issue where there wasn't one on the day and claiming stupidity in the decision making to stage the games there. Of course given enough games in Dunloy, you'll be proved right eventually  :-\ (a stopped clock springs to mind)

Sure we all headed down to Cushendall when Antrim played Tipp a few years ago!! what a wash out that day ..... and that was for NHL game ffs!!  It happens, not just in Dunloy but everywhere (well maybe not our pitch)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

getevennotcross

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 02, 2015, 11:50:17 AM
Quote from: Leftbackno4 on September 02, 2015, 09:27:01 AM
I think the reasons for Antrims current standing in the hurling world have been well documented on this board and they are many and varied, but I'm trying very hard to get my head around the blame (even partially) being laid at the door of Belfast clubs while we are supposedly relying on the usual North Antrim clubs for player development. How many North Antrim clubs burden themselves by developing football players to inter county standard ? How many North Antrim clubs have senior dual players and how many play Div 1 football and hurling while the 3 Belfast senior clubs Rossa, St Johns & St Galls are trying to balance the demands of both ? With a few notable exceptions how many inter county hurlers are regularly produced from the South West Antrim clubs ? This is not just a Belfast problem.

A serious debate is required about whether dual clubs splitting our meagre resources has any future in the progression of Gaelic games in general and hurling in particular in Antrim and if trying to accommodate both hurling and football leagues that don't clash is really helping anyone in the longer term. We are facing a tough future and we need to be able to take tough decisions together. Loughgeil, Cushendall, Kilkenny, Donegal, Tryone, Kerry etc show the way i.e. Concentrate on one code and have a chance at success.The dual counties and 'super clubs' of Cork and Dublin are the exceptions that prove the rule and a winning dual club/ county is becoming even more of an exception.

We face lots of problems e.g. no county ground or a centre of excellence for our development teams, ( just look at the embarrassing situation of Inadequate pitches for the Antrim cup games with Kilkenny and Dublin at UUJ never mind the Casement debacle) under resourced coaching structures, lack of funding and sponsorship for our county teams, schools participation and coaching that is decades behind successful counties etc etc. These are the real challenges we need to face together and whatever the  strategy devised we need to commit to doing something or we will keep getting similar results while other counties overtake us in these areas.

Again - not much to disagree with - but I don't think wither the original posters were "blaming" the City clubs. The problems exist - but they are not necessarily caused by Belfast clubs at all.
We can all agree on that. And equally to resolve them cannot be done in the City alone.
I've always made the point about Belfast being more prone to the dual codes - and you are entirely right in that.
Wouldn't St Galls Rossa St Johns etc love the luxury of only preparing for one championship at a time like Cargin or Loughgiel! Even those in those clubs must acknowledge the huge advantage they have in this repsect.
That said - where do we (everyone) go from the current predicament?
It's not about blame, it's about recognising the issues, and doing something about it. (again everyone).
+1

Na Glinntí Glasa

i found it insulting when you consider the amount of money our club spent after that wash out last year to drain that pitch to ensure it wouldn't happen again. Put it this way, had it not been done neither of those games would of taken place on sunday at all. as i said previously on thurs night it was a swimming pool and for it to get to Sunday and be playable was down to that. Also yet more money was spent to dig hundreds of meters of drainage a few weeks ago to take all the surface water around the grounds to the nearby stream.

Unlike other clubs we don't permit any kind of training on that pitch no matter the game coming up so as to ensure we have a top quality playing surface for everyone who comes to it.
hurl like f**k boi!

Kickham csc

One solution
Regional development Schools (for all player standards, not just elite)

I'm now living in the US, my son plays the ground ball. New York Red Bulls have set up a structure where the have about 20 RDS operating in the NJ area. The kids go, are placed according to ability, and then go through a 12 week development program.

This actually helps the local clubs, (e.g a number of your team goes to a RDS, where they receive superior technical training along with kids of other local clubs)

I believe that one way to improve the standard of hurling across clubs is to set this kind of development structure, so instead of county development teams, we should set up a club development program focusing on player development of both county and non county standard hurlers, develop everybody, give all clubs the opportunity to participate and within ten years, the standard should improve

getevennotcross

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2015, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 02, 2015, 12:33:32 PM

Sure we all headed down to Cushendall when Antrim played Tipp a few years ago!! what a wash out that day ..... and that was for NHL game ffs!!  It happens, not just in Dunloy but everywhere (well maybe not our pitch)
it even snowed. But we just cant legislate for weather or condition of pitches, no matter where in Ireland.  Maybe Shinners will get us an EU grant and build a conservatory over the country?

But then all us croppy bois would have to pay their salaries some other way. Why are we croppies so gulable letting ourselves be exlpoited and abused by Shinners, CB, UC ?  Time for a call to action, shaft the whole bloody lot of them I say!

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 02, 2015, 01:56:14 PM
i found it insulting when you consider the amount of money our club spent after that wash out last year to drain that pitch to ensure it wouldn't happen again. Put it this way, had it not been done neither of those games would of taken place on sunday at all. as i said previously on thurs night it was a swimming pool and for it to get to Sunday and be playable was down to that. Also yet more money was spent to dig hundreds of meters of drainage a few weeks ago to take all the surface water around the grounds to the nearby stream.

Unlike other clubs we don't permit any kind of training on that pitch no matter the game coming up so as to ensure we have a top quality playing surface for everyone who comes to it.

The two best games of the weekend were played in Dunloy.  The pitch was not an issue.

Two Hands FFS

The point I'm making is that the County Board should know that in advance that pitches might be soft and should have continuency plans in place so that double headers don't take place on that pitch. Is that understandable??

I appreciate a lot of money has been spent on the pitch. Yous should calm down boys

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 02, 2015, 02:04:57 PM

The two best games of the weekend were played in Dunloy.  The pitch was not an issue.

I hope that the next one in a weeks time is just as good!
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 02, 2015, 02:26:14 PM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on September 02, 2015, 02:04:57 PM

I hope that the next one in a weeks time is just as good!

We'll all be up checking the grass, 'does it take a stud?' !!! either or the rain is here to stay and its the same for both.. just be happy that your clubs are getting these games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on September 02, 2015, 02:19:45 PM
The point I'm making is that the County Board should know that in advance that pitches might be soft and should have continuency plans in place so that double headers don't take place on that pitch. Is that understandable??

I appreciate a lot of money has been spent on the pitch. Yous should calm down boys

Maybe you should 'pour water' over your words two hands, then you wouldnt get the responses they deserve

QuoteFinally, to have the match in Dunloy on a pitch that has a history of being wet was pathetic from the County board especially with a double header. Not fair on all 4 teams.

Dunloy was a bog last night and its quite often like that. I'd rather go to Armoy than Dunloy.

Playing a double header on a pitch that was pretty soft in places would be bordering on stupidity
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: theskull1 on September 02, 2015, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: Two Hands FFS on September 02, 2015, 02:19:45 PM

Maybe you should 'pour water' over your words two hands, then you wouldnt get the responses they deserve

QuoteFinally, to have the match in Dunloy on a pitch that has a history of being wet was pathetic from the County board especially with a double header. Not fair on all 4 teams.

Dunloy was a bog last night and its quite often like that. I'd rather go to Armoy than Dunloy.

Playing a double header on a pitch that was pretty soft in places would be bordering on stupidity
I already said calling it a big was harsh on my point. But my issue was with the county board.
Anyway I'm sure it'll be grand for the semi final   :D
I'll not mention it again.