Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand up

Yeh and we might put cotton wool in our ears!!

On a separate note sad sad news on the man who was shot, his Daughters where playing Camogie for the Johnnies v The Town.

Megaman

i can assure you Cushendall are not taking this game lightly

The way Cushendall have been playing this year added with their injury list they would be fools too.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Megaman on August 13, 2015, 09:56:23 AM
i can assure you Cushendall are not taking this game lightly

The way Cushendall have been playing this year added with their injury list they would be fools too.

A division 1 team and another division 1 team in championship - why would they take it lightly?
Why would it need pointed out that they are not taking it lightly?

paddyjohn

Down manager Mickey Johnson.
©INPHO/Presseye/William Cherry.

Down hurling manager Mickey Johnson has quelled speculation linking him to the vacancy in his native Antrim.

Johnson, who lost out to Kevin Ryan for the Antrim post in 2012, says he is committed to Down for at least one more season.

"I'm currently the Down senior hurling manager and I will be the Down senior hurling manager, as far as I'm concerned, in 2016," the Belfast man told the Irish News.

"It's all to do with timing. It's an absolute privilege for anybody to be involved with any county team – to be in involved in your own county team would be an absolute honour whether it's minor, U21 or senior.

"Of course it's everybody's aspiration to manage their own county at a time, but it's all to do with timing."

According to the website of truth.. Hogan Stand.

paddyjohn

Quote from: shoebox on August 14, 2015, 11:18:32 AM
It's in the Irish news.

Accept my deepest apologies, I've not had the chance to see the paper today.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on August 14, 2015, 11:50:11 AM
No need for the deep apologies :)

Smaller championship season just about to start proper at all levels.  Going to try and get to as many games as possible over the next week and a bit.

Creggan v St Pauls tonight - Creggan to win that by a cricket score.
Gorts v Armoy tomorrow - Gorts to win.
Cushendun v Cloughmills - Cloughmills.
Sarsfields v Carey on Sunday - Carey to beat Sarsfields (how they have managed to go from Div 1 to relegation candidates is beyond me).

Next Saturday
Rossa v Ballycastle - Fancy Rossa to win that one.
St Galls v Shamrocks - Shamrocks to win. (Champions elect).
Both these games are at Corrigan.

Sunday
Dunloy v Clooney Gaels - Dunloy handy.
Cushendall v St John's - Cushendall but hopefully Johnnies give it a good lash.
Why aren't the Sunday fixtures a double header somewhere?  Ballycastle would have been perfect.

Unless Gorts improve and play for the whole 60 minutes then they may get bate!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Smaller championship season just about to start proper at all levels.  Going to try and get to as many games as possible over the next week and a bit.

Sarsfields v Carey on Sunday - Carey to beat Sarsfields (how they have managed to go from Div 1 to relegation candidates is beyond me).

Next Saturday

Sunday
Why aren't the Sunday fixtures a double header somewhere?  Ballycastle would have been perfect.

I would say its because Ballycastle isnt a proper hurling pitch, the wind ruins too many games and there is a distinct lack of atmosphere played at any game there. But that's just my opinion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 14, 2015, 12:33:58 PM

Next Saturday

Sunday

I would say its because Ballycastle isnt a proper hurling pitch, the wind ruins too many games and there is a distinct lack of atmosphere played at any game there. But that's just my opinion.

Can't give an opinion on Ballycastle it seems so I'll take your word for it  :-X
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: shoebox on August 14, 2015, 12:24:24 PM
I haven't seen much of them at all. Going on what I know about them (the players they have) and their results this year which ultimately is a testament to how they are going.  Are Armoy better than them?

Having seen both, I'd fancy the Gorts, they hold possession well, maybe lacking a few decent forwards, but Armoy are strong up the middle, but poorish on the periphery.

cfclg

Next Saturday

Sunday

100% agree. They have fantastic facilities etc etc but it is a horrible place to play a match. The wind up there ruins >75% of matches played I'd say. No atmosphere either due to it being so sparse and open. County matches and club finals need to go back to Lgiel/Dunloy IMO.

getevennotcross

Quote from: paddyjohn on August 14, 2015, 11:07:24 AM

Down manager Mickey Johnson.
©INPHO/Presseye/William Cherry.

Down hurling manager Mickey Johnson has quelled speculation linking him to the vacancy in his native Antrim.

Johnson, who lost out to Kevin Ryan for the Antrim post in 2012, says he is committed to Down for at least one more season.

"I'm currently the Down senior hurling manager and I will be the Down senior hurling manager, as far as I'm concerned, in 2016," the Belfast man told the Irish News.

"It's all to do with timing. It's an absolute privilege for anybody to be involved with any county team – to be in involved in your own county team would be an absolute honour whether it's minor, U21 or senior.

"Of course it's everybody's aspiration to manage their own county at a time, but it's all to do with timing."

According to the website of truth.. Hogan Stand.
Well, that is a relief, phew!  I am not convinced the time will ever be right for Jonty, I reckon he has ruffled one feather too many.

Well off to the fair city for the weekend to watch my beloved Tipp beat the Tribesmen.  Certainly shaping up for a Tipp v Kilkenny battle once more, but stranger things have happened which you cant lose sight of.  As I have said previously, championship is championship and anything may happen on a given day.  Much like our local scene, always the potential for an upset which keeps Paddy Power & Co. happy.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: cfclg on August 14, 2015, 01:06:41 PM

Next Saturday

Sunday

100% agree. They have fantastic facilities etc etc but it is a horrible place to play a match. The wind up there ruins >75% of matches played I'd say. No atmosphere either due to it being so sparse and open. County matches and club finals need to go back to Lgiel/Dunloy IMO.

Lgiels the best place for a championship match. Fans are right on top of the pitch and its a good viewing all around it. A ballaix to get parked at but you can work with it
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: shoebox on August 14, 2015, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 14, 2015, 12:50:25 PM
Quote from: shoebox on August 14, 2015, 12:24:24 PM
I haven't seen much of them at all. Going on what I know about them (the players they have) and their results this year which ultimately is a testament to how they are going.  Are Armoy better than them?

Having seen both, I'd fancy the Gorts, they hold possession well, maybe lacking a few decent forwards, but Armoy are strong up the middle, but poorish on the periphery.

I don't think you can look past them to be honest.  If Armoy were to win, it would be a shock to me.  That said, Cloughmills took out the favourites in the first round.

Are the championship games not the last weekend in Aug 29th/ 30th? CORRECTION

Maybe I misread it somewhere.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Great photo Skull!
I agree Dunloy creates a better atmosphere and games than Ballycastle - and Loughguile is the pick of our venues.
Ballycastle seems to get the nod to support the new facilities and for traffic/parking.
But no matter where it is it looks like the big crowds of the 80s & 90s are gone - great days indeed.