Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Hurler24 on August 04, 2015, 11:38:56 PM
Two early goals killed us. The big and slow players you reference, in my book are our 3 "americans" who arrived home at the weekend and have serious catching up to do going by tonight. With the other 2 "americans" coming home I think we will be ok. We hit 15pnts and only the sloppy early goals put gloss on the scoreline.

Serious question for the loughgiel contingent.......would you start Neily ahead of Tony McCloskey in full back?
in my opinion, that'll be where he'll play. Big man, takes no prisoners when he has to. And a skilful hurler to boot. Knowing Pj though, he'll choose who he thinks will do the job on the day. Don't be surprised if it changes from game to game.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Haven't commented much recently - but reading posts from the not so sunny south east!

Few points:

I think KR position was untenable. Him going or being pushed is of no difference to be - shocking season and he had to go.

Normally this time of year I'm full of championship expectation. A little damp this year maybe due to me being down south but hoping for a good championship after last year's dismal affair.

On the new manager?
To be honest it's not that I disagree with certain opinions here - I am just despondent by the fact that it's been the same points every time we've changed manager over the last number of years!
Same issues - still not addressed.

So here is my tuppence:

An "expensive" outsider has not worked much for me. Be it Shane Elliot or PJ I think they'll do as good a job but cheaper - enables us to put our limited finances elsewhere. Whoever it is I hope for an Antrim man - and one who encourages the club scene rather than holding it to ransom. What have we got to lose.

On the outsider point - yes we need one - but in our county executive and not team manager!
The point about cronyism makes me say this - surely we would benefit from a peter Quinn or a Sean nckeague as county chairman? Our executive has long been an embarrassment well known.
If we solve this maybe playing fortunes will be given a chance.
If an outsider can't be county chairman by regulations - appoint a new guy to a made up role to effectively run our county.

For what it's worth I think a Quinn or a Mckeague could sort out a lot of our woes and leave us in a better state long term on and off the field.

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 05, 2015, 01:26:27 AM
Haven't commented much recently - but reading posts from the not so sunny south east!

Few points:

I think KR position was untenable. Him going or being pushed is of no difference to be - shocking season and he had to go.

Normally this time of year I'm full of championship expectation. A little damp this year maybe due to me being down south but hoping for a good championship after last year's dismal affair.

On the new manager?
To be honest it's not that I disagree with certain opinions here - I am just despondent by the fact that it's been the same points every time we've changed manager over the last number of years!
Same issues - still not addressed.

So here is my tuppence:

An "expensive" outsider has not worked much for me. Be it Shane Elliot or PJ I think they'll do as good a job but cheaper - enables us to put our limited finances elsewhere. Whoever it is I hope for an Antrim man - and one who encourages the club scene rather than holding it to ransom. What have we got to lose.

On the outsider point - yes we need one - but in our county executive and not team manager!
The point about cronyism makes me say this - surely we would benefit from a peter Quinn or a Sean nckeague as county chairman? Our executive has long been an embarrassment well known.
If we solve this maybe playing fortunes will be given a chance.
If an outsider can't be county chairman by regulations - appoint a new guy to a made up role to effectively run our county.

For what it's worth I think a Quinn or a Mckeague could sort out a lot of our woes and leave us in a better state long term on and off the field.

You have a full time secretary, Frankie Quinn, and he's appointed and paid by the Ulster Council, not sure why you'd need another paid administrator just make sure you're getting some bang for you buck with the current one.

As for Antrim managers, yes Kevin Ryan has probably made mistakes, but Antrims problems are far more fundamental than the cherry on the cake. Appoint PJ, Shane Elliott, even Brian Cody and the same old issues will arise. TBH I'd see the Antrim job currently as a very poison chalice for an internal appointee to take on.

btdtgtt

That's exactly my point JC - the current administrators have for some time proved to be totally incompetent.
An outsider will have more success in sorting out the vast woes we face. Especially someone of the calibre of the guys I mentioned.
I'm not sure they would even demand a salary.
What harm would it do - at this stage we have nothing to lose.

theskull1

Generally speaking .... in Antrim we are pretty rudderless and some individuals appear to have been asleep at the helm for the longest time. But lets not be blind to the fact that any of this ineptitude that we speak of is not mirrored by the ineptitude of the general GAA population. We lack the critical mass of people who give enough of a fook to commit time and money to organizing and delivering ambitious development plans. Our problems run deeper than who's going to be the next county manager.

Plenty of good work being done in the clubs it has to be mentioned. Dev squads are out but no doubt lack proper coaching numbers and finance. Thats the area that needs sustained year on year focus.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cfclg

A new Antrim manager won't change anything. We will still be here moaning next season.

At this current point in time we actually need change from both bottom up and the top down. The county board has a well documented history of failures and in my opinion (and many others) couldn't run a bath. They need to go. When they do then we can put in good underage structures and start developing the talent of the future (aka Dublin/Carlow etc).

Lets forget about putting all our efforts into the next county hurling manager because if we appointed Brian Cody and his all Ireland backroom team tomorrow we wouldn't see much of a difference because of the poor foundations on which this whole county (hurling and football) is built. THE END!

Apparently so

Pj would be the best option imo but would he want the job?

Its a disgrace we aren't competing at county level when we have one of the strongest club scenes in the country. Antrim surely has to be up there as the most succesful county for club titles in the last few years?

Seamroga in exile

Pj has said he's interested in the job but he wants to see out the championship with loughgiel.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

Quote from: Apparently so on August 05, 2015, 04:43:31 PM

Its a disgrace we aren't competing at county level when we have one of the strongest club scenes in the country. Antrim surely has to be up there as the most succesful county for club titles in the last few years?

How have we got one of the strongest club scenes in the country?? We have two senior ais ever and both from one club!!

getevennotcross

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2015, 05:38:39 PM
Quote from: Apparently so on August 05, 2015, 04:43:31 PM

How have we got one of the strongest club scenes in the country?? We have two senior ais ever and both from one club!!
This guy is delusional, just another case of thinking we are better than we actually are in reality. 

I was never a fan of PJ by any means and no axe to grind with the man, but club is one thing and county is another kettle of fish, but if push came to shove, I would poll for PJ anyday over the clowns Johnston or McNaughton.  If PJ was successful in an open election, would there not be retaliatory resentment from them Dall boyos?  Would it not be a perpetuating problem given the history?  Until such underlying hostilities between clubs like Dall and Loughgiel are addressed, the status quo will remain.

I am not saying any of the above to be controversial, but I tend to be a realist and see things as they really are.  We really need to deal with the problems going forward and not the symptoms, too much has been brushed under the carpet fro years and continues to come back and hunt us annually.

In Antrim we have a very fractured GAA Community, Football over Hurling, South v North etc.  This is a major area of concern which needs fixing, I am of the opinion we do not have the right personnel in high office or indeed the real desire to fix it.  There are also those who believe they have all the answers, the panacea to our ills so to speak, but talk as ever is cheap and idle clap trap solves nothing. Cest la vie!

hurlingstick

Quote from: Appareally poor l so on August 05, 2015, 04:43:31 PM

Our club scene is really poor and completely reflected in our county team. We have one, arguably two top senior sides at the minute.

btdtgtt

I agree our club scene is at best competitive - don't confuse that with high quality.

But then how could it be of high quality?
It's been a stuttering drip-feed held to ransom at the behest of a salaried manager for too long. Modern club players have never had it worse in terms of their diet of regular high quality fixtures.
Perhaps our incumbent manager might address this.
After all - our internal administration have been found wanting.
Albeit an issue in all counties in the modern era.

jessie

Bring on PJ knows the players and has a pedigree .
get 3 helpers from the next best 3 clubs COME ON ANTRIM WE CAN DO IT !!

Hand up

The New Antrim Manager must either be a Southerner of Shane Elliott in my opinion, as Shane is the only man without Baggage. Jonty along the line is half wired, abusive towards his own/opposition players and managers and hasn't any respect from players outside of St Johns and what does his CV contain that makes him a creditable contender? PJ has taken digs at the Antrim/Dall players on numerous occasions on Paper/Twitter and while his man management skills & CV are much better than Jontys, those comments are stuck in our lads minds, rightly or wrongly that feeling is there.
Shane's skills are impressive  very astute, a better coach than the other 2( not sure PJ Coaches) a very likeable person, who I believe would have the respect of all the current squad and the lads we need back in from all clubs.
Although I'm worried that people believe that saving money on a southern coach means spending it on Dev Squads are living in Cuckoo land, it made no difference when Jingo/ Sambo/Woody where in, we'll piss the money down some other hole!! Why spend it on something useful??

Apparently so

Just get rid of the Cushendall crowd and everything will be dandy