Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfclg

Its maybe because most of the fellas that came through the CPC regime are injured/carrying injuries. Think the heavy weight training etc has taken its toll on a few of them. Lads that age injured with back pain, something not right..................

But at the same time they won an all Ireland, maybe that's what is required.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: cfclg on June 29, 2015, 03:19:42 PM
Its maybe because most of the fellas that came through the CPC regime are injured/carrying injuries. Think the heavy weight training etc has taken its toll on a few of them. Lads that age injured with back pain, something not right..................

But at the same time they won an all Ireland, maybe that's what is required.

To permanently damage your back? Do parents know this practice goes on? Its an amateur sport ffs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

So am told the St Johns man has been infront of the County Board and is denying all.  :o
So that's that.  Coward also.   Not shocked as anyone who goes down that route hasnt much about them anyway if you ask me. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

btdtgtt

I said at the very start of this that how the player & St Johns handle this was now the important think.
If they brush it under the carpet then it's says everything about both. And we are doomed for the same type of thing to happen in the same club. Nothing new there and so disappointing as it's another thing that prevents their talent from making the grade.

MoChara

Quote from: getevennotcross on June 29, 2015, 10:22:19 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 29, 2015, 08:51:53 PM
I said at the very start of this that how the player & St Johns handle this was now the important think.
If they brush it under the carpet then it's says everything about both. And we are doomed for the same type of thing to happen in the same club. Nothing new there and so disappointing as it's another thing that prevents their talent from making the grade.
St. Johns have a long and well documented history of this sort of thing and have a high prevalence of disgusting and thuggish behaviour.  One fears it is a badge they are somewhat proud of, which is extremely unfortunate and disappointing.  This most recent episode certainly does not endear them to the support or respect of other other clubs in the county.  It has to be said that, if their club management structure condones such behaviours and brush such incidents under the carpet, you would then have to question the type of example they are demonstrating to young people in their stewardship??

As with most things in GAA if he wasn't a star player he would be firmly disciplined.

btdtgtt

Quote from: shoebox on June 30, 2015, 09:23:22 AM
What was said (if said) is completely out of order and the young lad should have apologised. If what was said is true, there isn't much lower someone can go and I'd say the entire country would agree with that BUT let's not go manic about things here. There are people here tarring an entire club with the same brush here over comments made by one Under 21 player. St John's are a very good GAA club with some of the best people in the world as members. Claims about 'well documented histroy' etc is bullshit. There isn't a club in Antrim that hasn't had some incidents where people have seriously let their clubs and the GAA down.

Some of you have had turns at calling this lad a 'sc**bag' but two wrongs don't make a right. Due process took place apparently and we have to let that be the case no matter your strong feelings on it. But ffs stop running down an entire club over it.

Have to disagree.
It's the actions of one person - up until the point the point where the club as a whole doesn't confront and deal with the incident.
Now the club is complicit.
So yes, the whole club is tarnished now.
It goes back to my point about how the issue is dealt with becoming important.
And unfortunately, it is true this is not the first instance of things like this.
Shameful.
Whilst I personally know some fine Gaels in St. Johns it begs the question of how they factor this in their club. 

BigSmoke123

Good to hear that paddy McNaughton is heading back to the dall for the summer, be a big boost for them come C'ship!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on June 30, 2015, 12:24:18 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 30, 2015, 09:29:35 AM
What was said (if said) is completely out of order and the young lad should have apologised. If what was said is true, there isn't much lower someone can go and I'd say the entire country would agree with that BUT let's not go manic about things here. There are people here tarring an entire club with the same brush here over comments made by one Under 21 player. St John's are a very good GAA club with some of the best people in the world as members. Claims about 'well documented histroy' etc is bullshit. There isn't a club in Antrim that hasn't had some incidents where people have seriously let their clubs and the GAA down.

Some of you have had turns at calling this lad a 'sc**bag' but two wrongs don't make a right. Due process took place apparently and we have to let that be the case no matter your strong feelings on it. But ffs stop running down an entire club over it.

Have to disagree.
It's the actions of one person - up until the point the point where the club as a whole doesn't confront and deal with the incident.
And unfortunately, it is true this is not the first instance of things like this.
Shameful.
Whilst I personally know some fine Gaels in St. Johns it begs the question of how they factor this in their club.

I disagree with you. How 'the club' have dealt with it is a massive statement. Firstly 'the club' will more likely be the committee. I wasn't there, I didn't hear it. Were you? Also the way incidents are dealt with are fairly straight forward. Incident happens. Committee get person to attend a meeting to discuss said incident. Said person gives his side of the story and the club proceed from there.

Whether or not that process is effective or indeed justified, it shouldn't allow people like yourself to run down an entire club.

Do we say the same of the Rasharkin club after the referee was attacked, Loughiel after the fence jumping incident, St Pauls and Cargin after their brawl OR do we say some people within that club let themselves down?

All clubs punished in those incidents mentioned... Look let it go lads... Its been dealt with and this happens ffs... On some sort of level in every game at all ages... You hear supporters saying some hurtful things too and they manage to get away with it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: shoebox on June 30, 2015, 12:24:18 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 30, 2015, 09:29:35 AM

Have to disagree.
Shameful.

I disagree with you. How 'the club' have dealt with it is a massive statement. Firstly 'the club' will more likely be the committee. I wasn't there, I didn't hear it. Were you? Also the way incidents are dealt with are fairly straight forward. Incident happens. Committee get person to attend a meeting to discuss said incident. Said person gives his side of the story and the club proceed from there.

Whether or not that process is effective or indeed justified, it shouldn't allow people like yourself to run down an entire club.

Do we say the same of the Rasharkin club after the referee was attacked, Loughiel after the fence jumping incident, St Pauls and Cargin after their brawl OR do we say some people within that club let themselves down?

So it's the fault of just the guy in question - and the committee?
The committee is elected by members and all that - but more pertinently they are guided by general feeling in the club. It seems the general consensus at Corrigan is stuff everything and look after ourselves. And it's not the first time - under different committees.
So my point stands.
Like I say - I've friends on the whiterock - who have conceded the incident did happen - they too are tarnished by the incident and its subsequent non-handling.

Na Glinntí Glasa

how a club handles a serious incident is a reflection on the clubs image. Its happened to every club at some stage and those that fail to stamp it out and deal with the offenders or the incident will be looked upon poorly in everyones eyes. Further more to the onlooked its taken that they have condoned what happened IMO.

If people from within the club have admitted the incident happened as you say btgtdtt then the player in question should hang his head in shame for what he did. Admitting your wrong isnt easy and admitting it and dealing with it takes guts, sadly it seems these are lacking in this man.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

That's fine shoebox I get your point - but how the club has handled it means the name of the club is degraded and not just the player. I really see it as that simple.
The fine Gaels you mentioned I assume made their feeling known to St. John's committee - if they were ignored then that says a lot.
They may not have stolen that car but they certainly didn't help recover it either!

hurlingstick

Could I appeal to everyone's good nature here? Enough is enough. This has got out of hand and let's leave it alone. These things can seem like innocent debate and people are entitled to opinions but remember they can also end very badly. Move on boys, please.

bannside

Agree it should be moved on. I won't condone for a second what the player allegedly said....If so it was horribly wrong....but we have all said and done things we regret.

The offender in this case may not know of Gaaboard or be aware of the extent of the sentiments.  But if he was I would say he is genuinely disgusted with the way he let himself and his club down and would be most unlikely to offend again.

There are people on here well connected to both the player and the offended party (family) with a big St Johns/ C'dall connection. Surely it can't be that difficult to pm the contact details of the offended to the friends of the accused in the hope that a full forthright and undiluted apology us made, person to person, privately behind the scenes. Should be enough maturity involved to get this done with a bit of commonsense and sensitivity.

After that let the lad get on with his life. We all make mistakes.

getevennotcross

Quote from: hurlingstick on June 30, 2015, 07:53:26 PM
Could I appeal to everyone's good nature here? Enough is enough. This has got out of hand and let's leave it alone. These things can seem like innocent debate and people are entitled to opinions but remember they can also end very badly. Move on boys, please.
I couldn't agree more. I wish to retract all that I have said on this matter and profoundly apologise.  One of the drawbacks of social media I suppose.  People get carried away and dont think of the consequences.

Two Hands FFS

I was told that a few of the St Johns players apologised on Saturday night to the C'Dall player. While the offender may not be punished by Club/or County i'm sure it'll be sorted out on another day. Unfortunately the offender could have avoided this but his lack of remorse and actions means he will never be forgiven.
I feel sorry for the genuine good St John's club members for what this has done to their clubs image.

It's time to move on.