Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

What does it sum up for you hurlingstick? Reckon people will have different thoughts
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

hurlingstick

Quote from: theskull1 on May 21, 2015, 10:13:30 AM
What does it sum up for you hurlingstick? Reckon people will have different thoughts

The lack of professionalism and detail

Gizzy15

Quote from: theskull1 on May 21, 2015, 10:13:30 AM

not that you ever agree with me anyway but for me it represents giving up and lack of enthusiasm. after Laois result it was all geared towards Mullingar of website. Then after Mullingar nothing. as if its over. this may well be the view held by many but surely the county should still be trying to galvinise support for the game as it is still championship. the moderator on the site looks down his nose on negative comments but surely negativity can also be judged by doing nothing.

What may your 'different thoughts' be Skull?

theskull1

My thoughts would be, that its a symptom amongst the many symptoms of how we lack the critical mass of people to run the GAA properly in this county and eventually those trying to do things to the best of their ability get scundered at this reality  (i.e year in year out failure guaranteed) whilst the apathy virus permeates the minds of the snipers on the sidelines.

Just trying to see a different perspective .... not that there's much to 'disagree' with in what you've said.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

getevennotcross

We in Antrim wish to be treated as professionals in an amateur sporting association, yet we continue to be amateurish in our outlook.  We don't have the resources, finance or the wherewithal among our leaders, CB, Clubs or individuals to radicalise and make the required change.  Whether through fear or ineptitude, that's the reality.

Are we all prepared to dig deep in our pockets, sacrifice family duties and commit to strategic and co-ordinated coaching for the greater good of our county?

I fear, we will be talking about such same issues in another decades time.  We'll continue to make excuses, circumnavigate, cop out, blame everyone else but ourselves.  Meanwhile, while we continue to bury our collective heads in the sand, low and behold the Shinners and the great unwashed C. McC will continue with their peripheral infiltration of our association, especially in Antrim.  Heaven help us all.  Time to take a stand, tomorrow may be too late!

Antrim CB, UC don't give a toss about Antrim Hurling, Croke Park don't give a toss about us Nordies either, believe me! 

In some respects can you blame them?

Na Glinntí Glasa

I blame that cake ashers didnt make for everthing!! :D
hurl like f**k boi!

getevennotcross

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 21, 2015, 02:52:21 PM
Very good DR, to each his own, to each his own!  Well, its just a reflection of our changing, diverse and pluralist society, which I personally have no problem with.  I'm not one to judge on such things.

For Gizzys benefit:

Do you see what dialogue and engagement can do sometimes?

Extract from county website.

Sunday 24th May 2015 @2.00p

Leinster GAA SHC Round Robin 3

Dr Cullen Park

Carlow  v  Antrim

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 21, 2015, 02:52:21 PM

DR you better hope Donal Og doesn't  read the antrim threads

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=237731

i see N Mc Auley has defected to dunloy according to this

apart form this inaccuracy everything else seems spot on

btdtgtt

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment in the article. Nobody can dispute that the massive potential in terms of numbers in Belfast is under utilised.

Maybe it's that chip on my shoulder again but we need to be wary of some points however.

It's simply not true that there are no coaches in schools - there's nowhere near enough - but to say there is none isn't really fair to the people (volunteers & paid) who swim against the tide in their efforts here.

The impression from the article (no fault of Neal Macauley's) is that Belfast is a hurling wasteland at underage. A quick glance at the roll of honour of underage tournaments tells a different story. Rossa & St John's have outstanding records probably the best in the county - and St Galls have just won feile.
The issues are in moving this to senior!

That all said maybe I'm just being a bit over sensitive so before I finish I absolutely agree that the provision for kids in Belfast in terms of hurling is quite inadequate. We have huge un-fulfilled potential.
But let's not dis-respect the monumental work done by some - let's look at what else needs done and who can do it?
The real question behind Neil mcauleys article I hope is - where do we go from here?
How can we increase participation?
How can we increase the amount and quality of coaching?
How can we reduce the huge drop-off in the city around minor?
And who can do (pay) for this?

A welcome article all things considered.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 21, 2015, 10:54:13 PM
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment in the article. Nobody can dispute that the massive potential in terms of numbers in Belfast is under utilised.

Maybe it's that chip on my shoulder again but we need to be wary of some points however.

It's simply not true that there are no coaches in schools - there's nowhere near enough - but to say there is none isn't really fair to the people (volunteers & paid) who swim against the tide in their efforts here.

The impression from the article (no fault of Neal Macauley's) is that Belfast is a hurling wasteland at underage. A quick glance at the roll of honour of underage tournaments tells a different story. Rossa & St John's have outstanding records probably the best in the county - and St Galls have just won feile.

That all said maybe I'm just being a bit over sensitive so before I finish I absolutely agree that the provision for kids in Belfast in terms of hurling is quite inadequate. We have huge un-fulfilled potential.
But let's not dis-respect the monumental work done by some - let's look at what else needs done and who can do it?
The real question behind Neil mcauleys article I hope is - where do we go from here?

i agree with everything you have said here
In fairness to Neil his articulation maybe slightly off but his sentiments are what matters and i don't think he  is having a crack at anyone who as at  the coalface in terms of underage volunteer work
In view of the way things have being going at county level its nice to know that one of our best hurlers is now acknowledging our position and  doing some soul searching on the subject
The realization that as a county we are not utilizing our largest resource is nothing new on here and the share of success between 4 clubs up here in the north is not healthy for either the  club or county scene
I think its time to forget any help from croke park (they simply don't give a sh..) and as Neil  says the likes of laois and westmeath seem to be producing more competitive underage teams without extra  financial assistance
please don't think the lack of coaching resources is a scenario exclusive to the city either I know we have plenty of room for a extra pair of hands ( I cant speak for the rest )

The last few weeks have been a bit of a wake up call but the sad reality is i cant see the critics and the '' let someone else do it'' types taking the negativity/apathy and turning it into something constructive

Denis Walsh(Sunday times gaa) once wrote about Antrim hurling that '' when struggle comes with the condition then you struggle,if you give your heart to Antrim hurling don't t expect to get it back in one piece''
those words  always resonated with me about some of our players who tried their best. it was published ten years ago and still applies today
it seems the struggle can be attributed to coaches and volunteers as well
so lets keep going regardless

johnneycool

If its funding from Croke park you need, then Antrim CB need to go to them with a joined up plan and a real intent to deliver on it, AFAIK, there's plenty of gurning about Croke Park not funding Belfast, but the powers that be in Belfast haven't got anything down on paper that Croke Park could buy into.

Plus I'd say that almost 50% of the full time hurling coaches employed by the Ulster Council are from Belfast, so you'd think that they'd know the wants and needs of their home patch

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on May 22, 2015, 08:52:39 AM

If its funding from Croke park you need, then Antrim CB need to go to them with a joined up plan and a real intent to deliver on it, AFAIK, there's plenty of gurning about Croke Park not funding Belfast, but the powers that be in Belfast haven't got anything down on paper that Croke Park could buy into.

Plus I'd say that almost 50% of the full time hurling coaches employed by the Ulster Council are from Belfast, so you'd think that they'd know the wants and needs of their home patch

JC
You mean the one like the Belfast Hurling Strategy?  ;)

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on May 22, 2015, 09:24:29 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 22, 2015, 08:52:39 AM

JC
You mean the one like the Belfast Hurling Strategy?  ;)

The very thing with several 'goals' with none achieved and headed up by Jim Murray.

I think I pasted those very goals on another thread about Antrims underachievement, I'll see if I can hoke it out.

johnneycool

Found it;

Here's the main targets from a 'Belfast Strategy document 2009- 2014, how many were hit?

Coaching, Games and Participation
•At least 10 GAA Community Coaches for the Belfast Urban Area
•An increase in games participation of at least 20% by 2014
•A specific Belfast Continuing Professional Development programme for volunteerclub coaches
•Cross Club summer and Easter coaching camps
•City Based Development Squads
•Enhanced Club-School links through new coaching initiatives and programmes
•Programmes to attract new participations who traditionally would have no involvement in the GAA

Physical Development
•Belfast GAA Urban Centre of Participation and Excellence that includes at least three new full-size pitches for club use in North and West Belfast
•At least two new full-size GAA pitches for use in the South and East Belfast
•Redevelopment of Casement Park to an appropriate standard for the main GAAs tadium in Ireland's second city.

Club Governance
•New group comprising of Belfast GAA club officials, Antrim, Down and Ulster GAA officials to drive the development of the GAA in Belfast
•At least two Development Officers to support Club officials in administration governance and ongoing club development
•A new Brand and Identity for the GAA in Belfast
•A "joined-up" club led approach to the overall development of the GAA in the City
•A strong GAA presence and linkage with all local government and relevant public bodies in the city.
•Specific Belfast GAA Club Development Seminars and Volunteer training events.