Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

I've learned something from this board this weekend. After one of the best games I've watched in years, I was expecting a buzz of excitement on this forum. The quality of hurling on display was top drawer - really top drawer. When things were not so good after the Kerry game people had lots and lots to say, their silence after yesterday speaks volumes. Well done to KR and the whole panel, to win off the back of such adversity says a lot about your character. To play with such style makes it all the sweeter. One very happy Antrim fan.

Sleeping giant

Am another very happy man, after congratulating them HS there's not much more to do.  I've said I've been critical before but was honestly deep down for the simple reason I expected more from a group of very talented young men.  Am delighted for them. It's the sort of thing I love being proved wrong on.  And long may it continue.  Nice buzz. The two away games will be as tough as we don't travel well.  Hopefully with high conference we top the group and give offaly a right rattle.  As 2nd place plays Wexford. A tougher task.  Again.  Well done lads. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on May 04, 2015, 11:14:08 PM
Am another very happy man, after congratulating them HS there's not much more to do.  I've said I've been critical before but was honestly deep down for the simple reason I expected more from a group of very talented young men.  Am delighted for them. It's the sort of thing I love being proved wrong on.  And long may it continue.  Nice buzz. The two away games will be as tough as we don't travel well.  Hopefully with high conference we top the group and give offaly a right rattle.  As 2nd place plays Wexford. A tougher task.  Again.  Well done lads.

Fair play to you  SG
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

getevennotcross

Quote from: getevennotcross on May 03, 2015, 07:05:50 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 03, 2015, 06:59:22 PM
Yeah one step at a time though. We don't always do well against westmeath and carlow!
Exactly, lets cherish the change of form and the win and not be getting ahead of ourselves.  As you say we can never take Westmeath or Carlow lightly.  Truly delighted for the lads today, sure to give them a great psychological lift.
Is that not positive enough for you hurlingstick?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2015, 11:49:06 PM
"Well let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet" was Saffron Sam2 quoting Pulp Fiction when Antrim footballers beat Donegal in 2009. The same applies to the good win we had at the weekend.

I'm beginning to think that Antrim hurling suffers from bi-polar syndrome. Kerry beat us and it's the end of the world, we steal a win at home against Laois and we're nearly looking an open top bus.

It was a good win and hopefully something we can build on. The players and management deserve credit for lifting themselves after a disappointing year. Still a lot to do though.
lol very good. Don't think anyone is calling for an open top bus. Good result, well done. Move on
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2015, 11:49:06 PM
"Well let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet" was Saffron Sam2 quoting Pulp Fiction when Antrim footballers beat Donegal in 2009. The same applies to the good win we had at the weekend.

I'm beginning to think that Antrim hurling suffers from bi-polar syndrome. Kerry beat us and it's the end of the world, we steal a win at home against Laois and we're nearly looking an open top bus.

It was a good win and hopefully something we can build on. The players and management deserve credit for lifting themselves after a disappointing year. Still a lot to do though.

Still got a mouth like sower HS
No sucking going on here
SG has been venting his views on here since the Kerry match on the current set-up
But unlike some of his fellow club posters he seems genuinely happy like the rest of us about Sunday's result
Just given him his dues for showing his good will regardless of his greivenses before hand
We all know this result doesn't make everything rosy but it's nice for a possitive result and that doesn't gaurentee an upward trend

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Seamroga in exile

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

hurlingstick

Quote from: hardstation firmlink=topic=1347.msg1464373#msg1464373 date=1430779746

Very tasteless post. Poor form. To finish, Antrim thoroughly deserved the win. They bombarded Laois in the closing stages of the second half. Putting 32 points on the board against good opposition is hardly ' stealing' a win.

Na Glinntí Glasa

its a long time since ive seen a decent antrim support at a match and being so vocal. Brilliant finish to the match with the goal. Clarke was superb throughout the match, long may it continue.

I will be honest i thought we played poorly at times, esp in the first half where Laois took total control for a long period of the half. But well done to Antrim for sticking at it and not giving up.

Dont understand shorty in wing half, he didnt get into the game enough for me. Hes better being used as a forward

I havent seen our players celebrate like that at the end of a game for quite some time, makes a change from the usual depression we have been used to.

One small step at a time will do us
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 05, 2015, 09:13:17 AM
its a long time since ive seen a decent antrim support at a match and being so vocal. Brilliant finish to the match with the goal. Clarke was superb throughout the match, long may it continue.

I will be honest i thought we played poorly at times, esp in the first half where Laois took total control for a long period of the half. But well done to Antrim for sticking at it and not giving up.

Dont understand shorty in wing half, he didnt get into the game enough for me. Hes better being used as a forward

I havent seen our players celebrate like that at the end of a game for quite some time, makes a change from the usual depression we have been used to.

One small step at a time will do us

Fair enough sum up DR, just curious as to what you thought the poor aspects of Antrim's play were at that stage when Laois we in control?

Jeepers Creepers

Agree with alot of that Frostie, I think think shear huff and puff got Antrim over the line in the end. Certainly the introduction of Carson at half time meant the ball wasn't coming back out as quickly from the fwds as it was in the first half. In fairness to laois the last 15-20 mins of the first half they were excellent. Everything was done to instinct,dipping catching and striking was superb and always had a man in space. They hit their dangermen everytime without even looking , very well drilled. Although that urgency from them seem to trail off in the 2nd half , but fairplay to Antrim who kept chipping away and then hit that wee purple patch in  the 2nd half with those two (cracking) goals which put them back into contention.
The ref overruled the umpire and gave a point which was clearly about a metre wide, Had Laois won by a point  :o

theskull1

Was going to write pretty much what frostbit has written there.

I didn't think we were the 'better' team. I think after the way the League panned out, we wanted it more in the second half especially and having N McM as the target man for high balls, that 'strategy' paid off. But in terms of nuanced team play and the basic skills, Laois had a fair bit more than us and I'd say 4 times out of 5 they'd beat us.

Really enjoyed the game and the effort put in by the players, but we've still got a bit of a journey to go to on to be a consistent threat.  N McA's performance would grace any county team in Ireland.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: theskull1 on May 05, 2015, 10:53:59 AM
Was going to write pretty much what frostbit has written there.

I didn't think we were the 'better' team. I think after the way the League panned out, we wanted it more in the second half especially and having N McM as the target man for high balls, that 'strategy' paid off. But in terms of nuanced team play and the basic skills, Laois had a fair bit more than us and I'd say 4 times out of 5 they'd beat us.

Really enjoyed the game and the effort put in by the players, but we've still got a bit of a journey to go to on to be a consistent threat.  N McA's performance would grace any county team in Ireland.

I certainly came away from the game thinking he was the stand out player in a saffron Jersey who seemed to have that wee bit extra.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Have to agree with Skull and Frostbits posts as well.

Whilst the ref was extremely poor to us we continued to argue with his every call and he keep moving it forward all the time making it easier for them to score. Need to get our discipline sorted there for def. Its not easy to control when your getting bad calls but its still something to work on.

Just googled mulingar to see how far it is - 3hr drive for sunday it is then!!
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 05, 2015, 11:11:55 AM
Have to agree with Skull and Frostbits posts as well.

Whilst the ref was extremely poor to us we continued to argue with his every call and he keep moving it forward all the time making it easier for them to score. Need to get our discipline sorted there for def. Its not easy to control when your getting bad calls but its still something to work on.

Just googled mulingar to see how far it is - 3hr drive for sunday it is then!!

That is fair enough lads, just wondered what the opinions were on the game. I would agree with Skull that it was probably heart and determination more so than skill level that won the day. Which in a squad that was questioned in some corners about their commitment pleased me as a fan.

Stand outs were as mentioned, NMcA took a while to get to grips with the Laois midfield who started like a train, but even in terms of winning primary possession was excellent.