Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

money very tight lads. we may be a big club with a bar but if your members dont drink in it then......

listed building cant knock it down....... just joking, sooner it's down the better. there was talk of getting a new one in the future, still waiting though

NAG

Milltown

Dunloy, Loughgiel and various other clubs dont have strong going social clubs. But they manage to have great grounds and good changing rooms and Dunloy are now on the way to building an Indoor arena unrivalled in the North, how can they manage to do this and u cant?

maxpower

been in the changing rooms before Milltown, as you say not in great shape but sure, the johnnies seem to be in a similar position in that they are a huge club with a big social club yet their changing rooms are falling apart.

Is it easy to fund raise in the country than it is in the city, or why is there such a difference in the clubs facilities.  as NAG says Dunloy's Social club, while serving an important purpose isn't exactly raking in the dough but the club have hugely ambitious plans for a centre of excellence, a third pitch and have recently carried out considerable grounds work.  Loughgiel, Cushendall, Ballycastle the same
What happens next????

milltown row

fundraising years ago at our club was great before we got the new clubrooms, then after raking in the money from the new bar and hall we put it to good use, coaching and new pitches.

since the ceasfire the Gaa clubs in belfast have lost a lot of regulars that now go elsewhere so we have lost the revenue and its been difficult. fundraising is now on the agenda and hopefully in the next five to ten years we will also have the facilities that the north antrim clubs are producing at the minute

podge

Not sure that Cushendall and ballycastle are leading lights in the fundraising stakes!!!?  In my mind ballycastle are one of the worst supported clubs in the county, relative to the size of the town.  problems in past are hard to shake.  they now have excellenet facilities (and a great committee) but this was in no small part due to the fact that they were able to sell their exisiting pitch for housing. 

C'dall were in the fortunate position that they were able to buy their facilities from the council about 15 years ago for a song!

Balboa

Quote from: podge on August 22, 2007, 10:59:53 AM
Not sure that Cushendall and ballycastle are leading lights in the fundraising stakes!!!?  In my mind ballycastle are one of the worst supported clubs in the county, relative to the size of the town.  problems in past are hard to shake.  they now have excellenet facilities (and a great committee) but this was in no small part due to the fact that they were able to sell their exisiting pitch for housing. 

C'dall were in the fortunate position that they were able to buy their facilities from the council about 15 years ago for a song!

In fairness to Cushendall they run a lotto which is a good earner and i could be wrong but i think that Cushendall festival that runs every year also contributes to their coffers.

Give-it-Timber

Quote from: podge on August 22, 2007, 10:59:53 AM
but this was in no small part due to the fact that they were able to sell their exisiting pitch for housing. 

no small part podge, fair play to them but this was the only reason, without that option they would be still playing in that dump of a pitch with debts up to their eyes.

@ Balboa, yeah as far as i know the Marquee thing they run the weekend before the festival is part of their funraising.

btw i think Dunloy will win pretty handy tonight, 8 - 10 points if not more also loughgeil easy.

imtommygunn

Are profitable social clubs not pretty much a thing of the past now anyway?

Things done in country clubs to raise funds - poker nights, player funds, lottos - which are generally pretty successful - and big draws every 3/4 years. Also a lot of country clubs charge in to league matches (not much mind) but it does get them some money and I have yet to see a city club that charges in to a league match.

Festivals in country clubs are big enough earners too. Country clubs have the benefit in that in most places the club is the centre of the community. The city doesn't really have this advantage so all these things make it more difficult in the city.

milltown row

anyway back to the match, give it timber your right they are at least 8-10 points better off than Naomh Gall, we've been unlucky that the draw has paried us with two of the better teams were at least in the other group we could have competed for the semi final place behind Cushendall.

that said we have to deal with it.getting lamhs first has given us a chance unlike Glenariff who had to play Dunloy and loughgiel.

bloody concert on tonight and some lads on the team have given daft excuses for not turning up for the game.

lads these days need to take a good long look at themselves. although if a Football championship match was on they would miss the concert no problem.

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on August 22, 2007, 02:15:51 PM
anyway back to the match, give it timber your right they are at least 8-10 points better off than Naomh Gall, we've been unlucky that the draw has paried us with two of the better teams were at least in the other group we could have competed for the semi final place behind Cushendall.

that said we have to deal with it.getting lamhs first has given us a chance unlike Glenariff who had to play Dunloy and loughgiel.

bloody concert on tonight and some lads on the team have given daft excuses for not turning up for the game.

lads these days need to take a good long look at themselves. although if a Football championship match was on they would miss the concert no problem.

We play Lamh Dhearg on Sunday in championship, a dead rubber as they say, we are gonna ask them if they will do a "2 for 1 offer" as we still have to play them in league and have only 2 league games left. We are entering a team in Kilmacud Sevens this year and some of the younger lads that are taking part in it are training a bit but other than that we have finished for the year.I hear Lamh Dhearg are reasonable chaps anyway Milltown  ;)

milltown row

no problem unless you have a knack of knocking them out of Championship every year in hurling and football. dont turn your back you may be dirty joe'd or mick'ed if you catch my drift.

have been interested in putting a team in the kilmacuds, did you just ask for an invite? we have played in the st judes junior a few years in a row, best craic well looked after and the banter in town that night second to none. some boys staying over i hope?

few lads from the club heading down on the saturday. will probably head over and watch

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on August 22, 2007, 02:55:12 PM
no problem unless you have a knack of knocking them out of Championship every year in hurling and football. dont turn your back you may be dirty joe'd or mick'ed if you catch my drift.

have been interested in putting a team in the kilmacuds, did you just ask for an invite? we have played in the st judes junior a few years in a row, best craic well looked after and the banter in town that night second to none. some boys staying over i hope?

few lads from the club heading down on the saturday. will probably head over and watch

Im not sure how we got invited, we played Kilmacud in a pre season friendly so it probably came from that.Aye we raised a bit of money to pay for the lads hotel then there is about another 5 or 6 players heading down on the Saturday to watch the sevens and get blocked, on the look out for tickets at the minute, hopefully get enough. The craic out at the sevens is the best bit of the weekend, you always seem to run into McFall lying blocked in the clubhouse !

North Antrim

U-21 final on friday against dunloy...hopefully milltown you will do us a favour and cut lumps out of them tonight and hopefully slow a few of them down for Friday night ;)

Skull or max - is it true Sean dowds is out with broken bone in hand?

Our preparation are going well at present, so hopefully we can pull it off

As for 2nite - dunloy will pull away in last 20 to win easy while Shamrocks will slaughter Lamh Dearg who like GNM have nothing to play for!"!

Balboa

Quote from: North Antrim on August 22, 2007, 03:25:11 PM
U-21 final on friday against dunloy...hopefully milltown you will do us a favour and cut lumps out of them tonight and hopefully slow a few of them down for Friday night ;)

Skull or max - is it true Sean dowds is out with broken bone in hand?

Our preparation are going well at present, so hopefully we can pull it off

As for 2nite - dunloy will pull away in last 20 to win easy while Shamrocks will slaughter Lamh Dearg who like GNM have nothing to play for!"!

Story of your life NorthAntrim..........

podge

As a neutral at the match between st galls and dunloy i must agree with the comment about st galls palyers and sideline constantly bickering at the ref.  it wasn;t the worst refereeing performance ever and he certainly wasn;t being helped by st galls attitude (players and management). they questionned almost every decision even though most were clear cut.  What was that all about milltown? 

anyhow, dunoy were disappointing to say the least- maybe they were holding some back or maybe st galls deserve some credit for this.  in particular the full back and centre half (kieran mc gourty?) looked good.  didn;t have enough up front and a bad goal from a short free in the first half was crucial.

it was a new look dunloy team with no mc mullans (??) and patch out at centre back where he was good.  keeper had a good game.  liam richmond looked much sharper than last year but conor cunning looked a but rusty and in poor shape for him.  plenty of fire power on dunloys line with d mc mullan, c mc guckian, p richmond, p shiels?

big improvement required from dunloy if they are to challenge for the title but they may be pacing themselves.  Was impressed by st galls hurling but not their attitude I am afraid.