Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Cloot: Some people already do - and others thru things like the senior hurlers golf day.
Some might, I dare say, want some transparancy of where their money is going! Especially given where previous county funds have been squandered recently!
But obviously in agree with your broader point.

imtommygunn

What are ballycastle playing slaughtneil in tonight?

Bonamargy

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 15, 2015, 09:44:38 PM
What are ballycastle playing slaughtneil in tonight?

A friendly. Michael McShane is now manager of Slaughtneil

getevennotcross

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on April 15, 2015, 08:57:06 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 15, 2015, 08:41:31 PM
Agree for sure cloot but Eamon O'Shea saying we need to take youngsters southward doesn't tally with a county executive that denied a certain sambo an under16 challenge game against Wexford before the under21s. Didn't someone mention finance?

btdgtt -  I am well aware of that story. That said, my impression seems to be that things seem to be improving slightly in that regard. Whether that is thanks to the county executive loosening the purse strings or coaches/mentors/parents taking the initiative and doing things themselves (e.g. looking for sponsorship/funding), I don't know.

Are people more prepared to contribute directly to, say, a development squad, than to give money to "the county"?????
I contribute currently to Club Antrim, but I still have great concerns and misgivings relating to transparency and how such funds are accounted for.  Transparency and accountability are important aspects for me, I would probably contribute even more via sponsorship etc. but I am mindful that in recent times Club Antrim's profile and activities have been minimal! 

clootfromthe21

Quote from: getevennotcross on April 15, 2015, 10:17:43 PM
Quote from: clootfromthe21 on April 15, 2015, 08:57:06 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 15, 2015, 08:41:31 PM
Agree for sure cloot but Eamon O'Shea saying we need to take youngsters southward doesn't tally with a county executive that denied a certain sambo an under16 challenge game against Wexford before the under21s. Didn't someone mention finance?

btdgtt -  I am well aware of that story. That said, my impression seems to be that things seem to be improving slightly in that regard. Whether that is thanks to the county executive loosening the purse strings or coaches/mentors/parents taking the initiative and doing things themselves (e.g. looking for sponsorship/funding), I don't know.

Are people more prepared to contribute directly to, say, a development squad, than to give money to "the county"?????
I contribute currently to Club Antrim, but I still have great concerns and misgivings relating to transparency and how such funds are accounted for.  Transparency and accountability are important aspects for me, I would probably contribute even more via sponsorship etc. but I am mindful that in recent times Club Antrim's profile and activities have been minimal!

I am in exactly the same position.

1. I am a member of Club Antrim.

2. However, I contribute a minimal amount because I have no idea whatsoever where the money goes.

3. I have had conversations with people where I have suggested I would be prepared to contribute more if there was transparency.

I would be interested in contributing directly to development squads etc (Friends of Antrim Hurling :P) but again would only be prepared to do so if there was accountability for where the money goes.

theskull1

No doubt about it that there's a massive disconnect between the ordinary joe hurling supporter and our head honchos. Has felt that way for years from my perspective.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

knew it wouldnt be too long before sambo would appear in the paper to talk about our county team in the Irish News

I dont always agree with what he says (rants) but hes pretty much spot on with what hes said this time.

hurl like f**k boi!

ojonathanrossa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 15, 2015, 08:50:38 PM
Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 15, 2015, 04:46:41 PM
A few things, MR2.  You keep mentioning over the last 8 years or something. I'd love to have the results in front of me but by fcuk, I don't think for a second you would have come out on top over us over 8 years.  I'll see if I can dig out the results somehow.  I think you're vision is being skewed by your two competitive senior championship games to forget that you weren't all that impressive outside of that.  The year you took them and got hammered by the KK team in the All Ireland IHC you were abysmal in that game.

But the real problem about you in particular and often with a lot of St Gall's men is that they think they are much bigger than their hurling boots.  Perhaps that is an arrogance that comes with winning a lot at the football but that's why it makes beating you the more sweet.  I noticed that arrogance in your last post as if you are a cut above the rest of the teams in Belfast. 

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 15, 2015, 03:33:27 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, I've always enjoyed hurling against both teams as that's what you were allowed to do... As for the rest, hmm

From my memory, I can't remember you being any means shakes and certainly not better than what you term 'the rest, hmm' of Belfast teams.  You would be at Sarsfield's or GNMs level to be honest.  Don't think you are any better than that.  You beat Dunloy in the SHC and got beat by Cushendall narrowly. These are what has given you arrogance??  Give me a break.

But as I said, we'll more than likely confirm my opinion in our next outing on July 1st at Pairc Rossa.  Enjoy your trip to Ballycran next Wednesday, angry boy.

I don't know you from Adam and nor do I care, you posts are directed it seems to me, so I'll take a wild guess and think you are a reincarnation of the tools that have been on before, if you are going to debate hurling that's fine I'll engage with you, but if you want to be a WUM then sorry, no arrogance by me either, Rossa are the Premier club after all. Good luck to you to in all your games this year.... I mean that. Always liked Rossa and was in contact with your manager about refereeing the challenge games he has lined up on that run to Croker.... I've no axe to grind

Genuinely not a wind up merchant.  I've read this board for a long time and have just set this up.  What I do have a problem is with St Galls thinking they are better than what they are and I think it's arrogance.  Maybe I did get carried away in my last reply a bit but it drives me nuts listening to St Galls men in work and around the place walking around with this undeserved swagger about them when they talk about hurling and thinking they are a cut above the rest of the clubs in Belfast and especially over us over the last number of years.  I'll remind you of the arrogance I am referring to:

Maybe I'm mistaken, I've always enjoyed hurling against both teams as that's what you were allowed to do... As for the rest, hmm

I think that's a bit disrespectful to other clubs and after playing senior hurling for around 8 years now, I've never been that impressed by you or have never had tougher games against you compared to games against the other Belfast clubs.

We'll take our defeats this year but we'll stay up.  I can't say the same for yourselves.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Dunloy realist on April 16, 2015, 08:37:16 AM
knew it wouldnt be too long before sambo would appear in the paper to talk about our county team in the Irish News

I dont always agree with what he says (rants) but hes pretty much spot on with what hes said this time.

I think sambo's views reflect everyone on here
His heart is in the right place and last weekend was very dissapointing
On reflection all the bickering on here since means people still care
Wouldn't it be worse if there was no debate on it with very little posting since Saturday
Hardstations post is the most thought provoking one I have read this week
We have been here before apart from the odd spike on the graph it's the norm

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

orangeman

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/antrims-disaster-sparks-fears-over-future-of-hurling-in-ulster-31146844.html

Being a realist yourself DR, is the picture really as bad as Sambo is painting it or is there a bit of sensationalism in this article ( the headline in particular ) ?.

He says Ulster council have failed. How so ?.

imtommygunn

What date is the ulster hurling final played on these days OM?

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 16, 2015, 09:58:40 AM
What date is the ulster hurling final played on these days OM?

Eh ?.

Apologies Tommy. Too slow on the pick up. I've got you now.  ;)

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 16, 2015, 09:52:00 AM

I think sambo's views reflect everyone on here
His heart is in the right place and last weekend was very dissapointing
On reflection all the bickering on here since means people still care
Wouldn't it be worse if there was no debate on it with very little posting since Saturday
Hardstations post is the most thought provoking one I have read this week
We have been here before apart from the odd spike on the graph it's the norm

I think we some times have delusions of grandeur about ourselves in Antrim when it comes to hurling. We seem to think due to our clubs being reasonably successful at the AI stage that were some sort of world beaters.

Theirs a strong parish bond in our clubs and a passion for each and everyone of our club teams that simply isnt there for our county team. Truth be told it never has been there. Our county has alot of band wagoners - see ulster football final for recent example - when the success is there and we jump off it very quickly when it seems that were not going anywhere. Its what Antrim county teams have always been like.

Playing for Tipp, Cork, Galway, KK etc has a sense of pride about it. Its something you have to be god damned good at before your actually allowed to represent those counties. People don't just wander on and off one of those county panels because they dont like the manager, cant commit, dont agree with training arrangement (add any other antrim supporters mental conspiracy theory's in here!) it doesn't happen.

The problems we face are much different that the likes of KK, Tipp etc. Theres over 600k people in this county, at least 60% hate/despise the GAA due to them being unionist. Of that 40% theres a good chance alot of them have zero interest in sport in general.

Our primary and secondary schools (bar a few) dont promote the GAA at all not again have any interest in doing so. Further education campuses again have zero interest in the game and we at least Queens and Jordanstown do something.

Theres so so so many kids out there who have never had the chance to even have a hurling stick in their hand and those are the ones who need to sought after. The kids are the future, its an old cliche but its soo true.

My nephew is playing his first match this weekend against Ballycastle in our academy for Dunloy in the under 8's i think. If he has told me once hes told me at least 20 times. His manager told me last night that he keeps asking him 'how many days is until we play Ballycastle?' hes near on the verge of peeing himself with excitement about playing a match lol

I think its brilliant and these people who give up their time to provide this opportunity for the kids are few and far between in all our clubs. We need more people involved, more coaches, more training for coaches, more people to get into the schools at Primary, Post Primary, further education etc and get them playing. Its no use a Primary School blitz once every year, it needs to be happening all term long.

I think ive ranted enough ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: orangeman on April 16, 2015, 09:56:42 AM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/antrims-disaster-sparks-fears-over-future-of-hurling-in-ulster-31146844.html

Being a realist yourself DR, is the picture really as bad as Sambo is painting it or is there a bit of sensationalism in this article ( the headline in particular ) ?.

He says Ulster council have failed. How so ?.

All you have to do is see the Ulster Hurling final for the contempt that they show towards hurling.

God forbid that beautiful spectacle we all know and love that is football  :o would be affected in anyway!

The ulster council are like an ex. girlfriend, you know they are about, they sometimes affect your life yet you try to ignore them as best you can!
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 16, 2015, 09:33:46 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 15, 2015, 08:50:38 PM
Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 15, 2015, 04:46:41 PM
A few things, MR2.  You keep mentioning over the last 8 years or something. I'd love to have the results in front of me but by fcuk, I don't think for a second you would have come out on top over us over 8 years.  I'll see if I can dig out the results somehow.  I think you're vision is being skewed by your two competitive senior championship games to forget that you weren't all that impressive outside of that.  The year you took them and got hammered by the KK team in the All Ireland IHC you were abysmal in that game.

But the real problem about you in particular and often with a lot of St Gall's men is that they think they are much bigger than their hurling boots.  Perhaps that is an arrogance that comes with winning a lot at the football but that's why it makes beating you the more sweet.  I noticed that arrogance in your last post as if you are a cut above the rest of the teams in Belfast. 

From my memory, I can't remember you being any means shakes and certainly not better than what you term 'the rest, hmm' of Belfast teams.  You would be at Sarsfield's or GNMs level to be honest.  Don't think you are any better than that.  You beat Dunloy in the SHC and got beat by Cushendall narrowly. These are what has given you arrogance??  Give me a break.

But as I said, we'll more than likely confirm my opinion in our next outing on July 1st at Pairc Rossa.  Enjoy your trip to Ballycran next Wednesday, angry boy.

I don't know you from Adam and nor do I care, you posts are directed it seems to me, so I'll take a wild guess and think you are a reincarnation of the tools that have been on before, if you are going to debate hurling that's fine I'll engage with you, but if you want to be a WUM then sorry, no arrogance by me either, Rossa are the Premier club after all. Good luck to you to in all your games this year.... I mean that. Always liked Rossa and was in contact with your manager about refereeing the challenge games he has lined up on that run to Croker.... I've no axe to grind

Genuinely not a wind up merchant.  I've read this board for a long time and have just set this up.  What I do have a problem is with St Galls thinking they are better than what they are and I think it's arrogance.  Maybe I did get carried away in my last reply a bit but it drives me nuts listening to St Galls men in work and around the place walking around with this undeserved swagger about them when they talk about hurling and thinking they are a cut above the rest of the clubs in Belfast and especially over us over the last number of years.  I'll remind you of the arrogance I am referring to:

I think that's a bit disrespectful to other clubs and after playing senior hurling for around 8 years now, I've never been that impressed by you or have never had tougher games against you compared to games against the other Belfast clubs.

We'll take our defeats this year but we'll stay up.  I can't say the same for yourselves.

I'll reply once more.... The others was a go at the style of play... Having played against these other teams for 3 times as long at senior level than yourself, I'm coming from a different perspective.. The Rossa let you play the Johnnies let you play... Sarsfields Gorts and the rest will be a little more aggressive than they need to be. Gorts played sarfields last week... Bit of a disaster I heard... I hope you'd do stay up great kids coming through and traditions to back it up. Who do youse get in the first round this year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea