Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ojonathanrossa

Do you expect us to win the Volunteer cup?  We are being realistic about our development.  A reasonable expectation will be to be the best team in Belfast, to see how we fare against the rest and to avoid the drop to 1B while continuing to develop underaged players and integrate them into our senior structures.  Hardly a fall from grace.  We always knew that Intermediate and Division 2 wasn't our standard.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i think every knew that before you entered the intermediate championship last year.

It will be interesting to see if Rossa can keep that team together over the next 4 years to try and build a senior team
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 15, 2015, 10:11:02 AM
We'd no team but only a few points between us at half time. But sure as long as we win the battles of Belfast this year and stay out of the bottom two, we'll be happy. So far so good.

Jesus your lads were awful hard to listen to when you're getting beat. Looking forward to the return leg already.

Now did you read back yet?? Or just continue to talk/post from hearsay?? We'd no team either against youse so? I've had to listen to your lads for years getting bate by a football club lol, your manager didn't even stay for the last ten minutes one year lol.... Anyway enjoy the win... Next stop must be to win a first round match in the championship..... Small steps
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: hurlingstick on April 15, 2015, 11:15:38 AM
We'd no team but only a few points between us at half time. But sure as long as we win the battles of Belfast this year and stay out of the bottom two, we'll be happy. So far so good.

Jesus your lads were awful hard to listen to when you're getting beat. Looking forward to the return leg already.

That's quite a fall from grace, waxing lyrical about beating St. Galls for the first time in years and staying out of the relegation zone!!

I do love the city rivalry! Woke me out of last few days quagmire!

In terms of results Rossa have got the better of St Galls in their last few meetings between each division. Although they avoided the fixture when St Galls were a division above Rossa.

I think Rossa have had their fall from grace and are trying to get back up - we will see how that goes for them.
St Galls might be about to fall.

But I think this avoids one factor - we have no open St Johns posters here - but they have been more consistent over the past number of years than both teams. They are a dual club, like most of the City teams, and although they haven't really competed in Championship i think they deserve more attention and credit that both St galls and Rossa for the consistency they have had in the league recently. And consistency is what the league is about.

With three city teams in division 1 and four NA teams its a better balance than it has been and throw in the south west / Ards teams there's plenty of geographical variation. Maybe we should re-structure so the NA teams don't have to use so much red diesel ;)
Still I don't the Volunteer cup won't be travelling very far from NA for a long time yet!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 15, 2015, 02:57:12 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on April 15, 2015, 11:15:38 AM

That's quite a fall from grace, waxing lyrical about beating St. Galls for the first time in years and staying out of the relegation zone!!

I do love the city rivalry! Woke me out of last few days quagmire!

In terms of results Rossa have got the better of St Galls in their last few meetings between each division. Although they avoided the fixture when St Galls were a division above Rossa.

I think Rossa have had their fall from grace and are trying to get back up - we will see how that goes for them.
St Galls might be about to fall.

But I think this avoids one factor - we have no open St Johns posters here - but they have been more consistent over the past number of years than both teams. They are a dual club, like most of the City teams, and although they haven't really competed in Championship i think they deserve more attention and credit that both St galls and Rossa for the consistency they have had in the league recently. And consistency is what the league is about.

With three city teams in division 1 and four NA teams its a better balance than it has been and throw in the south west / Ards teams there's plenty of geographical variation. Maybe we should re-structure so the NA teams don't have to use so much red diesel ;)
Still I don't the Volunteer cup won't be travelling very far from NA for a long time yet!

In terms of city rivalry we don't have it in hurling at all, we don't have an arch rival in hurling because Rossa and the Johnnies have owned that being nearly always div 1 back in the fay. Now in football we've always had the Johnnies and in the past  30 years Cargin... Maybe I'm mistaken, I've always enjoyed hurling against both teams as that's what you were allowed to do... As for the rest, hmm
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ojonathanrossa

A few things, MR2.  You keep mentioning over the last 8 years or something. I'd love to have the results in front of me but by fcuk, I don't think for a second you would have come out on top over us over 8 years.  I'll see if I can dig out the results somehow.  I think you're vision is being skewed by your two competitive senior championship games to forget that you weren't all that impressive outside of that.  The year you took them and got hammered by the KK team in the All Ireland IHC you were abysmal in that game.

But the real problem about you in particular and often with a lot of St Gall's men is that they think they are much bigger than their hurling boots.  Perhaps that is an arrogance that comes with winning a lot at the football but that's why it makes beating you the more sweet.  I noticed that arrogance in your last post as if you are a cut above the rest of the teams in Belfast. 

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 15, 2015, 03:33:27 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, I've always enjoyed hurling against both teams as that's what you were allowed to do... As for the rest, hmm

From my memory, I can't remember you being any means shakes and certainly not better than what you term 'the rest, hmm' of Belfast teams.  You would be at Sarsfield's or GNMs level to be honest.  Don't think you are any better than that.  You beat Dunloy in the SHC and got beat by Cushendall narrowly. These are what has given you arrogance??  Give me a break.

But as I said, we'll more than likely confirm my opinion in our next outing on July 1st at Pairc Rossa.  Enjoy your trip to Ballycran next Wednesday, angry boy.

hurlingstick

Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 15, 2015, 04:46:41 PM
A few things, MR2.  You keep mentioning over the last 8 years or something. I'd love to have the results in front of me but by fcuk, I don't think for a second you would have come out on top over us over 8 years.  I'll see if I can dig out the results somehow.  I think you're vision is being skewed by your two competitive senior championship games to forget that you weren't all that impressive outside of that.  The year you took them and got hammered by the KK team in the All Ireland IHC you were abysmal in that game.

But the real problem about you in particular and often with a lot of St Gall's men is that they think they are much bigger than their hurling boots.  Perhaps that is an arrogance that comes with winning a lot at the football but that's why it makes beating you the more sweet.  I noticed that arrogance in your last post as if you are a cut above the rest of the teams in Belfast. 

Maybe I'm mistaken, I've always enjoyed hurling against both teams as that's what you were allowed to do... As for the rest, hmm

From my memory, I can't remember you being any means shakes and certainly not better than what you term 'the rest, hmm' of Belfast teams.  You would be at Sarsfield's or GNMs level to be honest.  Don't think you are any better than that.  You beat Dunloy in the SHC and got beat by Cushendall narrowly. These are what has given you arrogance??  Give me a break.

But as I said, we'll more than likely confirm my opinion in our next outing on July 1st at Pairc Rossa.  Enjoy your trip to Ballycran next Wednesday, angry boy.

Another mouthpiece......exactly what this forum needs.

ojonathanrossa

Because you'd know. How long you been posting, eejit?

Glentaisie

Quote from: hardstation on April 14, 2015, 08:45:55 PM
As far as I see it, we are currently where we have been for many many years, more or less. Ok there has been the odd exception but they have been few and far between. It is therefore very unfair to point the finger at current individuals and paint the picture that they have somehow dragged our county to a new low. It just isn't true. Now, I have criticised our county executive many times on certain things they have done in the recent past, all of which I stand over.

Getting relegated to Div 2 is disappointing for Antrim, yes. There are, however, only two teams above us who we would hope to be ahead of (Laois & Kerry) and we would beat them as often if not more as they would beat us. Realistically it would be a bit of a shock for us to beat any of the other teams above us and it has been a long time since that was any different.

It isn't exactly "Antrim Hurling. Apocalypse Now."

I'd pretty much agree hardstation, and considering that it's a fairly young squad Div 2 might be a proving ground. Carlow, Westmeath & Derry will be tough enough for them.  My worry is when I look at what's coming after,  Minors got done by Derry in league final and once again we seem to have the story of players more than good enough but not it seems wanting to play for the county.
I also go along with the "get boys hurling for their clubs and pick the county team from that", with less county training restrictions.

btdtgtt

I was more talking about a general city rivalry MR2 than specifically Galls/Rossa. Agree historically it's been a rossa/johnnies axis as history dictates.

Jonathan I agree rossa get the upper hand on Galls by and large but I would have thought recent years would have taught some humility. St Galls have been to they final regardless of the draw and took that cushendall scalp - when did rossa last win a big senior game?

As I said I think the johnnies deserve more credit thank both for their consistency of staying in division 1 in recent years. 

Unfortunately we're talking about intra-city rivalry instead of forming any challenge to the glens!

north_antrim_hound

You city boys are always at each other
Could you not take an  example of how us North antrim lads get on😃😃😃😃😃😃
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Glentaisie on April 15, 2015, 07:34:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 14, 2015, 08:45:55 PM
As far as I see it, we are currently where we have been for many many years, more or less. Ok there has been the odd exception but they have been few and far between. It is therefore very unfair to point the finger at current individuals and paint the picture that they have somehow dragged our county to a new low. It just isn't true. Now, I have criticised our county executive many times on certain things they have done in the recent past, all of which I stand over.

Getting relegated to Div 2 is disappointing for Antrim, yes. There are, however, only two teams above us who we would hope to be ahead of (Laois & Kerry) and we would beat them as often if not more as they would beat us. Realistically it would be a bit of a shock for us to beat any of the other teams above us and it has been a long time since that was any different.

It isn't exactly "Antrim Hurling. Apocalypse Now."

I'd pretty much agree hardstation, and considering that it's a fairly young squad Div 2 might be a proving ground. Carlow, Westmeath & Derry will be tough enough for them.  My worry is when I look at what's coming after,  Minors got done by Derry in league final and once again we seem to have the story of players more than good enough but not it seems wanting to play for the county.
I also go along with the "get boys hurling for their clubs and pick the county team from that", with less county training restrictions.

Strictly speaking it wasn't the minor team but rather an Under 17 team that got beaten by Derry - over the last couple of years we have put an under 17 team into the Ulster League and under 18 team into the Leinster League. Moreover, it didn't look as if any CPC boys lined out.

Thought Eamonn O'Shea made some interesting points in the Irish News today about the necessity for Antrim teams to travel south on a regular basis "to compete against the best at underage level", for psychological reasons as much as anything else.

btdtgtt

Agree for sure cloot but Eamon O'Shea saying we need to take youngsters southward doesn't tally with a county executive that denied a certain sambo an under16 challenge game against Wexford before the under21s. Didn't someone mention finance?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 15, 2015, 04:46:41 PM

I don't know you from Adam and nor do I care, you posts are directed it seems to me, so I'll take a wild guess and think you are a reincarnation of the tools that have been on before, if you are going to debate hurling that's fine I'll engage with you, but if you want to be a WUM then sorry, no arrogance by me either, Rossa are the Premier club after all. Good luck to you to in all your games this year.... I mean that. Always liked Rossa and was in contact with your manager about refereeing the challenge games he has lined up on that run to Croker.... I've no axe to grind

clootfromthe21

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 15, 2015, 08:41:31 PM
Agree for sure cloot but Eamon O'Shea saying we need to take youngsters southward doesn't tally with a county executive that denied a certain sambo an under16 challenge game against Wexford before the under21s. Didn't someone mention finance?

btdgtt -  I am well aware of that story. That said, my impression seems to be that things seem to be improving slightly in that regard. Whether that is thanks to the county executive loosening the purse strings or coaches/mentors/parents taking the initiative and doing things themselves (e.g. looking for sponsorship/funding), I don't know.

Are people more prepared to contribute directly to, say, a development squad, than to give money to "the county"?????