Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

Lads, Portaferry have no chance. We've just been through a really poor ACHL, Antrim and Ulster Championship. Portaferry were really poor throughout. How they won their championship I'll never know. They won Ulster as the Antrim champions were a poor team. I would love to see them do it for the sake of Ulster hurling but it's not going to happen. I'm delighted to hear people on here getting behind them (even though some wouldn't cheer on another team from our own county).

Seamroga in exile

Kilmallock 2-17 portaferry 0-09. About ten minutes left.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sham Man

Well it seems being a 'Shamrock' has its advantages.  Another 'Shamrocks' team in AI Club Final - Ballyhale! Must be something in the water???  Up da Shams.  ;D ;) :-* Aye, and our Camogs beating the trail to another AI final as well today, Enniskeen, here we come.  ;) ;D
Shamrocks are winners!

btdtgtt

Wasted trip to mullingar yesterday - the game was over as quick as it started. Kilmallock had their goal before I had my seat and the Ports support knew already what lay ahead. Grinded for a while until kilmallock stepped up to pull clear. Good to see branniff get a day on this stage with his club.
Interesting here in Waterford as the senior clubs start back several of them play mini-league over the winter in 5-a-side soccer. Keeps their squads together but in relaxed context. Anyone know if our teams do anything similar? I assume most clubs have started back now now anyway.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 08, 2015, 02:07:35 PM
Wasted trip to mullingar yesterday - the game was over as quick as it started. Kilmallock had their goal before I had my seat and the Ports support knew already what lay ahead. Grinded for a while until kilmallock stepped up to pull clear. Good to see branniff get a day on this stage with his club.
Interesting here in Waterford as the senior clubs start back several of them play mini-league over the winter in 5-a-side soccer. Keeps their squads together but in relaxed context. Anyone know if our teams do anything similar? I assume most clubs have started back now now anyway.
I'd say they're all back. We started on the 6th January. No Stone unturned and a few old faces back.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Glensman

Quote from: Sham Man on February 08, 2015, 11:29:49 AM
Well it seems being a 'Shamrock' has its advantages.  Another 'Shamrocks' team in AI Club Final - Ballyhale! Must be something in the water???  Up da Shams.  ;D ;) :-* Aye, and our Camogs beating the trail to another AI final as well today, Enniskeen, here we come.  ;) ;D

How'd Camogs do? Haven't seen.

Glensman

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 08, 2015, 02:37:30 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on February 08, 2015, 02:07:35 PM
I'd say they're all back. We started on the 6th January. No Stone unturned and a few old faces back.  ;)

Who is back? Martin Scullion? Anyone else?

WTF u on about?

I thot I heard that wee benny was to be back? Would be a big boost for shams.

Sleeping giant

Camogs beat by 10.  Wee Benny won't be hurling this year unfortunately
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

WTF u on about?

Quote from: Sleeping giant on February 08, 2015, 10:15:17 PM
Camogs beat by 10.  Wee Benny won't be hurling this year unfortunately

He was a big loss to u. Was worth nearly 2 goals a game.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Ports were well beaten at the end up. i did want to see them do well but i had a feeling that they wouldnt win this game.

truth be told them winning Down was a big shock with the way Ballycran were playing all season. i thought they would be the team to watch. Cushendall never should of beaten S'neill and should of been sent packing the first day. wasnt impressed all season with them.

portaferry can take alot away with themselves from ydays game and alot of lessons will be learned. i think they will find it tough this season to match last years achievements as i feel that Ballycran will be champing at the bit to prove alot of doubters wrong.

anyway well done to them for getting as far as they did.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 09, 2015, 08:59:50 AM
Ports were well beaten at the end up. i did want to see them do well but i had a feeling that they wouldnt win this game.

truth be told them winning Down was a big shock with the way Ballycran were playing all season. i thought they would be the team to watch. Cushendall never should of beaten S'neill and should of been sent packing the first day. wasnt impressed all season with them.

portaferry can take alot away with themselves from ydays game and alot of lessons will be learned. i think they will find it tough this season to match last years achievements as i feel that Ballycran will be champing at the bit to prove alot of doubters wrong.

Ballycran to make ammends and come out of Down this year - but this experience should bring Ports on enough so they escape the relegation fight from Divison 1.

johnneycool

Quote from: frostbit on February 09, 2015, 10:06:09 AM
Cushendall aren't exactly the finished product but I think we might be taking away from their achievements slightly here.  They put Loughgiel to the sword in the championship, beat Dunloy and then weren't really tested in the county final. They had two tough battles in a short space of time against Slaughtneil and then hadn't much time to prepare for Portaferry.  So we shouldn't underestimate that they won the county championship here in Antrim and had two titanic battles in the Ulster semi.

It feels like they are being looked at underachievers because they didn't win Ulster.  They are a work in progress and that year will serve them good and of course makes for a great championship this year if Loughgiel get their act together and if Dunloy have a good crack.

Portaferry, although deserving winners over Cushendall know they aren't the best team in Ulster at heart and had nothing to lose on Saturday and were totally outclassed.  I think Cushendall would have given a better account of themselves but the same two teams would still be in the AI club finals.

Who was better than them?

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 09, 2015, 09:30:13 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 09, 2015, 08:59:50 AM

Ballycran to make ammends and come out of Down this year - but this experience should bring Ports on enough so they escape the relegation fight from Divison 1.

I won't be writing us off just yet, El Magico will be back, along with Caolan Baille and Ben Toner, probably three of our best players who all for various reasons contributed very little in last years campaign. Still a bit light defensively though!

Under new management also...

Na Glinntí Glasa

JC i would honestly say S'neill would have won that ulster final had they gotten by the dall. the football run killed them with regards to the hurling having so many games one after another.

portaferry deserved to win the final, they were the better team on the day and thats all that counts in the record books. were they the best team in ulster? no, but thats irrelevant now.

with regards to the dall. they beat a lgiel team who, to be honest, didnt look up for it no matter what any of their fans will tell you. they beat us and we were bloody awfull. we didnt deserve to win the semi final and would of only been kidding ourselves in the final had we won it. cushendall won antrim by not playing overly well. fair play to them though, they only beat what was in front of them.

i actually thought Ballycran would of won ulster this year after seeing them play this year. but being good on paper counts for nothing.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 09, 2015, 10:53:18 AM
JC i would honestly say S'neill would have won that ulster final had they gotten by the dall. the football run killed them with regards to the hurling having so many games one after another.

portaferry deserved to win the final, they were the better team on the day and thats all that counts in the record books. were they the best team in ulster? no, but thats irrelevant now.

with regards to the dall. they beat a lgiel team who, to be honest, didnt look up for it no matter what any of their fans will tell you. they beat us and we were bloody awfull. we didnt deserve to win the semi final and would of only been kidding ourselves in the final had we won it. cushendall won antrim by not playing overly well. fair play to them though, they only beat what was in front of them.

i actually thought Ballycran would of won ulster this year after seeing them play this year. but being good on paper counts for nothing.

S'Neill hadn't the forwards to beat the Dall, the Ports had, and beat them well they did. Remember S'Neill had a home game against the Dall and only managed to draw with them.

All subjective nonsense and the records show that Portaferry are the best hurling championship team in Ulster for 2014..