Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 27, 2015, 03:50:02 PM
st johns always promise alot but just seem to fall to an arse in the middle of the season. they remind me of ballycastle.

rossa have a proud name in hurling in antrim though over this past lot of years they have fallen by the wayside. alot of promise from younger lads but they never seem to be consistent enough to mount any sort of challenge.

st galls will always be a football club in peoples minds and hurling will be a close second but they need to have youth coming up through to keep the team at senior level.

whose the better of the 3 at the moment? based on last season i would say st galls. rossa have done well to get to the all ireland final and i wont deny that but its intermediate level, a step below st johns and st galls. i want to see them this year playing cushendall and loughgiel to see how they fare as those 2 are the top 2 sides in antrim.

i honestly think that cloney will struggle this season in div 1 to pick up win with rossa and st galls above them.

Is there three down this year?

On the Rossa thing, they seem to be churning out pretty decent underage teams all the way down. Did they not win the minor and U14 championships in Antrim in 2014?

Saw their U-12's at our place last year and they'd some handy hurlers on it although not enough of them, maybe they didn't travel but technique wise they were good and weren't relying on size or anything like to carry them through.

Johnnies seem to have went mad with a particular set of youngsters and don't seem to have followed up on it.

It takes several years of competitive underage teams to make an impact at senior IMO.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: johnneycool on January 27, 2015, 04:05:55 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 27, 2015, 03:50:02 PM
st johns always promise alot but just seem to fall to an arse in the middle of the season. they remind me of ballycastle.

rossa have a proud name in hurling in antrim though over this past lot of years they have fallen by the wayside. alot of promise from younger lads but they never seem to be consistent enough to mount any sort of challenge.

st galls will always be a football club in peoples minds and hurling will be a close second but they need to have youth coming up through to keep the team at senior level.

whose the better of the 3 at the moment? based on last season i would say st galls. rossa have done well to get to the all ireland final and i wont deny that but its intermediate level, a step below st johns and st galls. i want to see them this year playing cushendall and loughgiel to see how they fare as those 2 are the top 2 sides in antrim.

i honestly think that cloney will struggle this season in div 1 to pick up win with rossa and st galls above them.

Is there three down this year?

On the Rossa thing, they seem to be churning out pretty decent underage teams all the way down. Did they not win the minor and U14 championships in Antrim in 2014?

Saw their U-12's at our place last year and they'd some handy hurlers on it although not enough of them, maybe they didn't travel but technique wise they were good and weren't relying on size or anything like to carry them through.

Johnnies seem to have went mad with a particular set of youngsters and don't seem to have followed up on it.

It takes several years of competitive underage teams to make an impact at senior IMO.

im not sure if its one or two down this year, its keeps changing lol

rossa lost to ourselves in the U14 county final. they were pretty good although they seemed to be reliant on couple of better players. if they could keep them all right up through it would help them. players seem to leave at under age level as they grow older in the city. always has been the case sadly
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Yeah, Id love to see a Belfast team pushing the country teams all the way, was great when that Rossa team of the late 80's early 90's was so strong followed by that out of the blue win against Loughgiel.

But as you have said DR, keeping these players together year in year out is the problem, we have managed well at football because we kept on winning!!! Easier to keep on winning and having everyone together than keep all players when losing all the time....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

aontroim

Funny feeling I heard a rumbling that it's 3 down (and one up from Div 2)  to leave the 8 teams.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2015, 04:58:15 PM
Yeah, Id love to see a Belfast team pushing the country teams all the way, was great when that Rossa team of the late 80's early 90's was so strong followed by that out of the blue win against Loughgiel.

But as you have said DR, keeping these players together year in year out is the problem, we have managed well at football because we kept on winning!!! Easier to keep on winning and having everyone together than keep all players when losing all the time....

I think the out of blue bit is inaccurate - Rossa defeated a Dunloy team with the previous three championships under their belt and Although I didn't make the final it came as no surprise to me to hear in Florida they had won a deserved championship. Rossa had lost out narrowly to the great Dunloy sides in previous years which skewed their true ability. And went on to win that Ulster league also.

St John's made finals in 89 against loughgiel (could have won that day - nasty injury to pedan and I might recall Pearse McFall was sent off). They also made a final in the 90s but we're no competition for Dunloy.

St Galls strength for me is their ability to stay consistent in the "lesser code" at Milltown and that's been really impressive - but without ever looking like winning anything.

But like I have said - I think it's a bit of a null argument.
All three in divino one and senior now - the proof will be in the pudding. Results will settle it.
But I might add - being the best team in belfast is irrelevant if you're nowhere near as good as the glens teams!

Milltown Row2

I'm ok with all that... That wasn't what was posted by someone else though... A flippin post without foundation was reason why I interjected..

So is there more changing of the leagues again?? Lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 27, 2015, 07:08:07 PM

I think the out of blue bit is inaccurate - Rossa defeated a Dunloy team with the previous three championships under their belt and Although I didn't make the final it came as no surprise to me to hear in Florida they had won a deserved championship. Rossa had lost out narrowly to the great Dunloy sides in previous years which skewed their true ability. And went on to win that Ulster league also.

Sure lets go back 10 years and talk about how crap Loughgiel are;D ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on January 27, 2015, 07:24:23 PM

Sure lets go back 10 years and talk about how crap Loughgiel are;D ;D

Or return to having a belfast championsip so a belfast team can win something ;)

Bonamargy

Quote from: aontroim on January 27, 2015, 05:59:20 PM
Funny feeling I heard a rumbling that it's 3 down (and one up from Div 2)  to leave the 8 teams.

Definitely 3 down from division one and only one up from division two at the end of this season, to leave 8 teams in division one next season. Was proposed by CCC at county convention and voted for and approved by the clubs.

hurlingstick

So shortsighted from ccc. It's good for the big teams but for teams on the verge of division one, it restricts development. We need more teams to get up to the level of those top three teams. The only way they'll do it is by playing them. This is a bad move all round.

WTF u on about?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2015, 04:58:15 PM

[/b]
St John's made finals in 89 against loughgiel (could have won that day - nasty injury to pedan and I might recall Pearse McFall was sent off). They also made a final in the 90s but we're no competition for Dunloy.

Sorry to come back to this whole debate but Ulster league! Your having a laugh if u even count that as a serious comp. It was really only a pre season warm up which ended up with a farce of a final normally played around xmas.
St Galls strength for me is their ability to stay consistent in the "lesser code" at Milltown and that's been really impressive - but without ever looking like winning anything.

But like I have said - I think it's a bit of a null argument.
All three in divino one and senior now - the proof will be in the pudding. Results will settle it.
But I might add - being the best team in belfast is irrelevant if you're nowhere near as good as the glens teams!

btdtgtt

Rossa won the Ulster hurling league under lights in Casement - I was at it. Can't honestly recall opposition. Would have been late 2000's.
Hardstation?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 27, 2015, 10:24:27 PM
Rossa won the Ulster hurling league under lights in Casement - I was at it. Can't honestly recall opposition. Would have been late 2000's.
Hardstation?

We won Ulster league div 2 one year... I played final, means fevk all

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2015, 10:48:39 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on January 27, 2015, 10:24:27 PM
Hardstation?

We won Ulster league div 2 one year... I played final, means fevk all

Well division 1 means more than 2. (I had forgot about that win)
And if enter a competition you try to win it.
That's a poor comment mr2 not like you!
I wouldn't put much stake in it - and not sure Rossa do - merely made the point as someone said Rossa were out of the blue or had won nothing. That's incorrect.
If it means fevk all I assume you just wouldn't want to play in that game or win it then?
Poor comment.

WTF u on about?

Ulster league meant nothin. The fact that u can't recall the opposition for this final under lights proves how memorable it was btggt