Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Antrim

Totally agree - and i ask the question - when does the football championship get played.......Weekends!!! Honestly last night was the worst game i have watched in easily 10 years >:(

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2007, 02:14:07 PM
Skull, when you say that Rossa have been bad, year in year out. For how many years? Granted they have been poor the last two years since they won the championship but they were by no means bad any of the years before they won it. They were often unlucky and were always knocking at the door. The year before they won it, Dunloy beat them in Casement by 2 points I think but Rossa lead for most of the match. Then there was the game the year before (I think) were Loughguile beat them 7-07 to 3-18. You cannot say that they have been consistantly poor in any championship games before last year.

Hardstation i remember that match over in Dunloy, if the Rossa keeper wasnt doing a Stevie Wonder impression they would have beaten Loughguile out the gate. They were a serious outfit for a few years there and the championship they did win was their last real chance, since that they lost the two Grahams, Connolly etc

NAG

That was a funny game that night. The keeper was all over the place or they would have won handy.

They had three good years at it and eventually got there that was them at their peak, its a club in serious trouble at the moment. Hearing serious rumours about their club and money going missing and everything.

theskull1

Can't deny that Rossa should/could have beat us twice before they eventually got the break two years ago, so on championship form they have never been that far away. In the league though at that time they were brutal and never put any effort in to bring on players and try and build the panel of players that they had. Where have all those talented minors went to? Isn't Gavin Bell the only one from his final year in minor to be still playing, when that was a fantastic team full of talented individual hurlers. Travesty that more were not brought through to senior, but I know we don't have the same distractions round here that exist in the big smoke

They do seem to have under invested (like ourselves) at juvenile and will pay the price for it I think in the next 5 years
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

North Antrim

Rossa have some very underage players coming through lads - Conor Rocks, Matt Devlin, Young Shannon t o mention a few....aye know where your coming from but they are in minor semi-final and got to u-21 semi final which is better than alot of clubs...Isnt that rite Balboa!!!

Balboa

Quote from: North Antrim on August 16, 2007, 05:14:16 PM
Rossa have some very underage players coming through lads - Conor Rocks, Matt Devlin, Young Shannon t o mention a few....aye know where your coming from but they are in minor semi-final and got to u-21 semi final which is better than alot of clubs...Isnt that rite Balboa!!!

Please explain !! You can always count on North Antrim for a bit of Hogan Standitis, Glenariffe did not have the numbers to enter an U-21 team this year. Are you getting nervous about the GCSE results coming out next week?

SeanSouth

Quote from: groundlie on August 17, 2007, 10:27:23 AM
Talking of young players coming through out realistically can we say will be to household senior players for us in year to come?

McManus is has proved he has the class and strength this year. Graffin is a tenacious young lad and is all heart could do with bulking up abit tho. Young Sambo is a skilful hurler good prospect aswell as Magill.
You would think Eddie Mccloskey and Joey Scullion would feature in years to come aswell as Shorty who I think is a great player, very cute tidy hurler. Paddy Doc maybe?? The town would have Hippy, Dallat & Neil all very exciting players. McAuley needs to be played at the back (full) where he belongs great hurler.

Belfast we have Micko who is now a leader on the team possible captain. Simon McCrory showed a lot of potential this yr, strong and fast. Barry McFall is a steady back who I would like to see get a run in the league.

Anybody else have any views? Im sure ive missed a few??

It takes more than playing to the crowd and kissing your jersey to be considered a "leader".

milltown row

micko sure he'll dirty joe you in town when your team puts them out of championship ;D

he's a real leader

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on August 17, 2007, 10:52:12 AM
micko sure he'll dirty joe you in town when your team puts them out of championship ;D

he's a real leader

Micko is one of these "rent a quote" fellas in the run up to an Antrim match, the hurlers answer to Kevin Mc Gourty, he must have the Irish News on speed dial. There seems to be some difference in him and the 2 brothers, they seem reasonable, decent fellas but he is just a p*ick.

Glensman

Skull
From Gavin Bell's last year minor for Rossa I remember names liked Paddy Kelly, Armstrong, Grievesy, Scoose (when not in England), McManus, Toner and a few others.
You are right - for one reason or another they have all disappeared.
I was playing around the same time and when on song they were as good a minor team as I have seen.

I hadn't realised Micko was involved in the incident after the Galls LD football match...adds fuel to the fire. If he could control himself he'd be a great asset to any team.
With regard to great minors mentioned before his performance at centre half back in what must have been an all ireland 1/4 final against Wexford a few years back was as individually good as I have seen from any Antrim man/boy.

PS on another note I went to watch my first hurling match (or GAA match of any description) in Larne last night. We might be sh1te and need alot of improvement in this county but for a godforsaken place like Larne to have a relatively thriving little GAA community its great and a testament to the hard work of GAA minded individuals. Now for them to start importing shinty players on the boat and actually win a game.

THIS COUNTY MESSES WITH MY HEAD...I GET DOWN WHEN I SEE KILKENNY START TRAINING THEIR CHILDER AT THE AGE OF 4...THEN I CONSOLE MYSELF WITH THE FACT THAT LARNE, BALLYMONEY, BUSHMILLS (ok so I made this one up), EVEN THE MALONE ROADERS ALL HAVE GAA TEAMS.

ITS A ROLLER COASTER RIDE BEING A SAFFRON.

girt_giggler

Was that the McCaughan cup final?? Larne v Cloughmills?

i presume Cloughmills would have won that with ease..?

North Antrim

Balboa - Hogan Standitis......you seem to have a infactuation with the Hogan Stand you twat.......my point was simple.....every one was ststing that Rossa were F**ked and are doing no work at underage etc etc. I made the point that they have some very good players coming through and are in minor semi final and got to U-21 semi final this year.....and once again you have taken the bait.

As regards GCSE results ...im sure you have no problem accessing them ;) ;)

Balboa

Quote from: North Antrim on August 17, 2007, 02:29:55 PM
Balboa - Hogan Standitis......you seem to have a infactuation with the Hogan Stand you twat.......my point was simple.....every one was ststing that Rossa were F**ked and are doing no work at underage etc etc. I made the point that they have some very good players coming through and are in minor semi final and got to U-21 semi final this year.....and once again you have taken the bait.

As regards GCSE results ...im sure you have no problem accessing them ;) ;)

::)  ::)  ::) All joking aside North Antrim lets hope you have the GCSE's in the bag because some of the raw data you are producing is worrying. I particularly like it a few months ago when you described Pinky as a "great defencer".......  :D

North Antrim

i think it was mickey Dallat and not his twin Peter he was referring too. Better player, more committed and if given rite direction will make a very good club player but unfortnuately dont think will make senior county. He marked young Brick the other nite - dalls best player and the two broke even.....Brick really only contributing from frees

Maybe Balboa will have an opinion....hes seem to have on everything else