Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getevennotcross

Quote from: mickey80 on November 08, 2014, 09:54:27 PM
RE: Winker.

To be honest, I'm glad.  He is too divisive a character and I wouldn't want him in my changing room.  He has done a lot of damage over the last while back himself with his snidey comments on social media and in the wider press.  He is forever taking pot shots at other clubs and players - Mushy a few years back, the stuff after Cushendall being beaten by Portaferry. 

From a hurling point of view, he most certainly has been a loss.  There is no doubt about that.  But it is more than that.  It's about who and what we are.  What example do we want to set for our future?  Do we want to put up on a pedestal men like Winker (and some others on the football side of Antrim) who will make public cheap shots at some other good Antrim people and who has questioned the legitimacy and character of the current Antrim management? 

Like what does he expect? He has spent the last few years criticising the Cushendall contingent and Kevin Ryan's control of the squad and then now he's going to cry about not being considered for the panel this year?  As I have said, he could certainly offer a lot to the hurling squad as an option but in my opinion, the divisiveness would far outweigh his hurling ability and ultimately, that would be to the detriment of the squad.  It is a real pity that this will impact on the participation of his other club men but if that's the route they choose to take then so be it.
Kettle calling the pot black.  Have you not questioned the legitimacy of Antrim Management in the not too distant past, and I quote:
No doubt the Bradley duo seem a bit of a joke but in any team how can you stand shoulder to shoulder with people who are willing to walk at any stage, not least just before championship?

Only loss in terms of improvement to team is CJ. GKs are easily replaced and Pollock has never done it at county level. As I said I wouldn't want to be going out to play alongside 3 yellow bellies who are up their own holes when going into battle.

Get rid of Bradleys next year. Keep CJ and his 2 arse licking friends away from it. Invest in the future and give youth a chance. Sure we couldnt do any worse. Nothing to lose.

Enough said, me thinks.  ;) ;)

imtommygunn

The sad reality is that in football and hurling our county teams are probably better off without our best forward :'(

getevennotcross

Quote from: mickey80 on November 09, 2014, 12:02:15 AM
It's ironic but I agree. More sad if you ask me. Imagine Armagh without Stevie McDonnell or Tipp without Lar. Recently we have had the players but not the character. Hopefully thst changs in the future.
On the other hand, imagine Chips without Salt and Vinegar or Spuds & Cabbage without the Bacon.  Talent needs to be nurtured and managed at the same time.  In conclusion therefore, we may have the players, but not the right type of man managers?

Incidentally, I note you did not respond to my observation in that you don't attack managers. Nuff said!

Seamroga in exile

It's all the better for loughgiel if he isn't selected for Antrim. I want to put it on record that I hope that it doesn't affect the decision making of any of our hurlers in going to the county panel if selected. Its an honour to play for your county at any level and no matter who is in control of the selection process.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

There has never been a situation open for him to return to the fold mickey. That door has been firmly closed. And yes, it might appear to be one way in social media but I can assure you it is far from that behind closed doors.

hurlingstick

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 09, 2014, 11:24:10 AM
There has never been a situation open for him to return to the fold mickey. That door has been firmly closed. And yes, it might appear to be one way in social media but I can assure you it is far from that behind closed doors.

If a player doesn't want to play for the county then move on, regardless of the reasons. Kevin Ryan is a great manager! We need to be careful what we wish for. I would love to see more Shamrocks on the county team, especially some of those talented attackers that they have always been able to produce. With regards to Winker - I think he is more bother than he is worth. I've also thought for a long time that actually Benny McCarry is the best attacker in the county. Hope he comes home from AUS, he is a bloody good player.

To finish off McManus made a few snide comments himself last season and therefore shoulders some of the blame. Secondly, being one of the very very few county supporters to have been at every game home and away he would be better focusing on his performances, he is highly overrated. There are better players (combination of attitude and ability) on the panel, Neal McAuley to name one.

getevennotcross

Quote from: hurlingstick on November 09, 2014, 11:41:24 AM

If a player doesn't want to play for the county then move on, regardless of the reasons. Kevin Ryan is a great manager! We need to be careful what we wish for. I would love to see more Shamrocks on the county team, especially some of those talented attackers that they have always been able to produce. With regards to Winker - I think he is more bother than he is worth. I've also thought for a long time that actually Benny McCarry is the best attacker in the county. Hope he comes home from AUS, he is a bloody good player.

To finish off McManus made a few snide comments himself last season and therefore shoulders some of the blame. Secondly, being one of the very very few county supporters to have been at every game home and away he would be better focusing on his performances, he is highly overrated. There are better players (combination of attitude and ability) on the panel, Neal McAuley to name one.
Bloody marvelous eh!  So KR is a great manager, I fail to comprehend such an analogy?  Great Managers, win trophies, championships and at the same time change in short order, things which have clearly not worked in the past.  Good managers also develop others which will ensure things get done in the right manner and according to the plan.  In a nutshell, they manage the collective and individuals therein.

I would be of the opinion also, great managers would not be under the influence of hasbeens and those who have failed to achieve in the past.  Can we honestly say that KR, a good committed hurling man as he is, has not been open to influence and the negative prejudice of the tribal cliques within the team, and more worryingly peripheral administrators.  I think not?

I could not agree with you more HS, N. McAuley would be be a significant asset to any team and should be given an opportunity to step up to the plate.  McManus and McNaughton (s) to name but a few, were instrumental in creating the hostile environment for the return of the Loughguile players.  Should Watson, McCarry, Shay Casey and some of those other Loughguile lads be invited or chose top go back to the county (my sincere wish is they do), such a scenario will require good team and individual personnel management. 

Our underlying issue for our hurlers and footballers for that matter, is they do not feel honoured or take pride in being selected to play for their county. Playing for ones county requires major commitment and discipline, yet the conditions  for such a buy in by the players, needs to be in place and honoured. Far be it from me to have the temerity to suggest I have the panacea to cure the counties ills, in terms of performance and future success, but I know one thing, collective bonding of the individuals and personalities with a 'Team' needs to be managed. We can have all the individual talent in the world, but individual talent is just not enough in our case.  Bringing together in a cohesive manner the  key individuals with higher levels of talent than others, need to be embraced and managed.  We are all unique individuals with varying degrees of ability and personality, yet we all have our demons. Embrace individualism with the purpose of utilising and maximising the potential of such talent, however, manage it to serve the greater purpose and objective.

btdtgtt

Liam Watson - has shown he's one of the most talented forwards our county have produced. However the hassle that goes with him means I just wouldn't select him either.

Neil McManus - not sure where the profile he has comes from. I've never seen him produce the performances on the pitch to back it up. Lazy media etc use him for every outlet - wouldn't be entertained elsewhere.

Kevin Ryan / Antrim - for me it doesn't matter who the manager is. Antrim's season is so predictable and our level so stagnat that a good season & bad season are not that much different. No idea why he gave McManus such a prominent role in the set up - and he needs to stay out of the media constantly complaining about structures no matter what they are. Antrim are in no position to dictate to the rest of the counties - it's just a cop-out for results.

In summary - isn't it typical that a county with such little effect on the national stage spends more time in petty arguments than with hurling.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: getevennotcross on November 09, 2014, 02:51:16 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on November 09, 2014, 11:41:24 AM

Bloody marvelous eh!  So KR is a great manager, I fail to comprehend such an analogy?  Great Managers, win trophies, championships and at the same time change in short order, things which have clearly not worked in the past.  Good managers also develop others which will ensure things get done in the right manner and according to the plan.  In a nutshell, they manage the collective and individuals therein.

I would be of the opinion also, great managers would not be under the influence of hasbeens and those who have failed to achieve in thesi past.  Can we honestly say that KR, a good committed hurling man as he is, has not been open to influence and the negative prejudice of the tribal cliques within the team, and more worryingly peripheral administrators.  I think not?

I could not agree with you more HS, N. McAuley would be be a significant asset to any team and should be given an opportunity to step up to the plate.  McManus and McNaughton (s) to name but a few, were instrumental in creating the hostile environment for the return of the Loughguile players.  Should Watson, McCarry, Shay Casey and some of those other Loughguile lads be invited or chose top go back to the county (my sincere wish is they do), such a scenario will require good team and individual personnel management. 

Our underlying issue for our hurlers and footballers for that matter, is they do not feel honoured or take pride in being selected to play for their county. Playing for ones county requires major commitment and discipline, yet the conditions  for such a buy in by the players, needs to be in place and honoured. Far be it from me to have the temerity to suggest I have the panacea to cure the counties ills, in terms of performance and future success, but I know one thing, collective bonding of the individuals and personalities with a 'Team' needs to be managed. We can have all the individual talent in the world, but individual talent is just not enough in our case.  Bringing together in a cohesive manner the  key individuals with higher levels of talent than others, need to be embraced and managed.  We are all unique individuals with varying degrees of ability and personality, yet we all have our demons. Embrace individualism with the purpose of utilising and maximising the potential of such talent, however, manage it to serve the greater purpose and objective.
never seen it put better. 110% right
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Na Glinntí Glasa

LW not playing for antrim is old news. the lad had his day and its over, end of.

he has enough problems in playing for his club at times let along the county! ive always said hes a great hurler but hes one who im glad doesn't play for us. that's not some sort of anti loughgiel thing due to me being from Dunloy, I would have eddie mc closkey in my team any day of the week along with DD and johnny Campbell. I wouldn't have him in my team, hes a bad disruption.

I want antrim to do well and progress and to do that we need players from lgiel on the team esp the likes of eddie and tony mccloskey, they can only improve us.

hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 10, 2014, 12:58:50 PM
LW not playing for antrim is old news. the lad had his day and its over, end of.

he has enough problems in playing for his club at times let along the county! ive always said hes a great hurler but hes one who im glad doesn't play for us. that's not some sort of anti loughgiel thing due to me being from Dunloy, I would have eddie mc closkey in my team any day of the week along with DD and johnny Campbell. I wouldn't have him in my team, hes a bad disruption.

I want antrim to do well and progress and to do that we need players from lgiel on the team esp the likes of eddie and tony mccloskey, they can only improve us.
After the way Eddie was treated this past year don't hold your breath.  :-\

Na Glinntí Glasa

its a pity because hes a brilliant forward. spoke to him at one of the games in ballycastle and asked in passing was there any chance of him coming back. he sort of laughed and shugged his shoulders.

I told him as long as he doesn't play well against us I don't mind what he does lol
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

To be honest LW not playing is not that big a deal as like DR says it's old news. Not that I know the fella at all but it just hasn't worked out over the years for various reasons.

It would bother me a lot more that Eddie McCloskey might not be playing as he's a boy we could really do with in the half forward line for his size and work-rate. Tony looks to be improving a lot too and would probably be an addition.

We need or best players playing but can do without one or two(i.e. Watson). If a lot of other Loughgiel boys go missing though then we'll be a long way off our best team so hopefully something can be sorted.

Loughgiel getting a rest this year will only do them good.

johnneycool

Quote from: getevennotcross on November 09, 2014, 02:51:16 PM

No offense but I think there's delusions of grandeur in Antrim a bit if you'd expect to be winning trophies, other than the one game Ulster championship which Kevin has already done.

Getting out of Div1B would be a monumental achievement and avoiding relegation in itself is not to be sniffed at with the current batch of Antrim hurlers.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2014, 02:28:12 PM
To be honest LW not playing is not that big a deal as like DR says it's old news. Not that I know the fella at all but it just hasn't worked out over the years for various reasons.

It would bother me a lot more that Eddie McCloskey might not be playing as he's a boy we could really do with in the half forward line for his size and work-rate. Tony looks to be improving a lot too and would probably be an addition.

We need or best players playing but can do without one or two(i.e. Watson). If a lot of other Loughgiel boys go missing though then we'll be a long way off our best team so hopefully something can be sorted.

Loughgiel getting a rest this year will only do them good.

Was KR not quoted in the Irish News that Eddie and Tony McCloskey were coming back?