Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

I hear the replay is in loughgiel 26th October.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Rossa go to Owenbeg at the same time?
Decisions decisions!

johnneycool

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 14, 2014, 11:02:21 PM

Is this the Ulster council finally making sense and reverting to a home/away type arrangement in the absence of Casement?

Hopefully it is as then surely the Down champions are due a home fixture for once. so Ports can look forward to the winners of the replay playing in Ballycran at the very least.

Gizzy15

Quote from: johnneycool on October 15, 2014, 10:25:47 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 14, 2014, 11:02:21 PM

Is this the Ulster council finally making sense and reverting to a home/away type arrangement in the absence of Casement?

Hopefully it is as then surely the Down champions are due a home fixture for once. so Ports can look forward to the winners of the replay playing in Ballycran at the very least.

Wouldn't think finals would come into the Home and Away bracket. Think Owenbeg would be seen as a good venue to hold the final considering the clubs involved.

johnneycool

Well if its Slaughneil, then no, its not a good venue and even if its Cushendall, its a fair bit closer to Owenbeg than Portaferry who had to go 100 miles plus to Clones when for Lisbellaw it was just 20 odd mile down the road,

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2014, 07:35:54 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 14, 2014, 08:18:04 AM
So he only runs in division 1 and saves himself in the lower leagues?

Hey!! I'd done full gym session that morning that included a spin session!! I upped the pace a bit more in the second half ;)

So people are never happy lol. It's funny though that the ones that complain about keeping up with play are standing in the same position as you and see something different!!

I knew the truth would come out and i would be vindicated eventually ;D. .....and here, you might be fit but i think swimming up the Newry canal has left  you half blind ;D

gelvis

Final is set for Athletic Grounds in Armagh I think  :-\
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

Na Glinntí Glasa

went to game on sunday myself. what a great game for a neutral to watch, I loved every min of it.

I thought cdall got out of jail, they didn't play well but you have to admire them for sticking at it to stay level. I thought sneill had it when they went up by a point near the death but the dall fought back and scored a free again.

sneill were def the better team and will be disappointed at not winning it.

thought the ref was poor, as others have said. personally I didn't think Shane should have walked. the ball was there to be pulled on, is it foul to do so? im not a ref but natty done the same in the first half and got booked and I thought there was nothing wrong with it. Big carson should have walked for the head butt though.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 16, 2014, 09:07:44 AM
went to game on sunday myself. what a great game for a neutral to watch, I loved every min of it.

I thought cdall got out of jail, they didn't play well but you have to admire them for sticking at it to stay level. I thought sneill had it when they went up by a point near the death but the dall fought back and scored a free again.

thought the ref was poor, as others have said. personally I didn't think Shane should have walked. the ball was there to be pulled on, is it foul to do so? im not a ref but natty done the same in the first half and got booked and I thought there was nothing wrong with it. Big carson should have walked for the head butt though.

Wasn't at the game but did he connect with the ball when he pulled? All well and good if he connects with the ball but if he hits the player then it's down to whether the referee thinks he was late and in being late could be seen as being dangerous?? Should there be a difference in pulling low on a ball late or when the ball is in the air and pulling late?

Shane has picked up his fair share of cards recently over the years, he can't tackle, great hurler but his tackling is borderline (from a referees view) I like that personally, as a player but some referees look at it differently. Think he came late on against us and picked up a tick or a booking
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

The worst I've seen in recent years was Paudraig Mahers wild one handed swing which smashed Michael Rices hand so agree with the point being made by MR
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Megaman

IMHO that yellow was one of the very few decisions the ref got right.

If Shane hadn't got sent off, i think we would have won the game even though we played so poor.

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2014, 09:13:37 AM

Wasn't at the game but did he connect with the ball when he pulled? All well and good if he connects with the ball but if he hits the player then it's down to whether the referee thinks he was late and in being late could be seen as being dangerous?? Should there be a difference in pulling low on a ball late or when the ball is in the air and pulling late?

Shane has picked up his fair share of cards recently over the years, he can't tackle, great hurler but his tackling is borderline (from a referees view) I like that personally, as a player but some referees look at it differently. Think he came late on against us and picked up a tick or a booking

To me I think this is a really surprising statement for a ref to come out with.

He can still hit the ball and pulling in a dangerous manner, it is not always appropriate or safe to be pulling and I always think this makes the difference between a ref who knows the game and a ref who knows the rules.

If a defender is rushing out to the ball behind a forward and it bounces up say head height, to me a forward turning into the defender and pulling is an act of dangerous play regardless if he strikes the ball, the follow through is always going to hit the defender and this could be anywhere above the waist of the defender. That is dangerous.

Always a sign to me that a forward is slightly lacking bottle when you see them coming out and swinging wildly on a ball like that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on October 16, 2014, 09:47:49 AM

He can still hit the ball and pulling in a dangerous manner, it is not always appropriate or safe to be pulling and I always think this makes the difference between a ref who knows the game and a ref who knows the rules.

If a defender is rushing out to the ball behind a forward and it bounces up say head height, to me a forward turning into the defender and pulling is an act of dangerous play regardless if he strikes the ball, the follow through is always going to hit the defender and this could be anywhere above the waist of the defender. That is dangerous.

Always a sign to me that a forward is slightly lacking bottle when you see them coming out and swinging wildly on a ball like that.

I said I wasn't there so can't comment on that incident, I was only asking if he connected with the ball as in was only looking at the ball and not doing it with intent. Any dipstick will know whether he pulled with intent, and you don't have to have been a player or referee to understand that. Within the rules there is cards for what would be perceived as a dangerous pull.

I've played long enough to know the difference NAG so no need to be playing silly games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on October 16, 2014, 09:47:49 AM

So you'd be concerned that the follow through may connect with the defender irrespective if the ball is struck by the attacker or not?

Has your opponent not got a responsibility to protect themselves?

TBH, I've advocated to some of our smaller forwards who get pulled to pieces by defenders to fake the lift and double on the ball first time every once in a while to get them a bit more space the next time.