Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 12, 2014, 09:12:37 AM
At least people are now becoming aware of the deceit and lies that are sweeping the GAA away from ordinary members - I mean aware in general across the county not this board which is of course a tiny snapshot!
The trend is the same across Ireland as we've seen over the Sky deal and booking Croke Park for American Football etc.

So the next time you see a nice little photoshoot of a GAA (paid & salaried) official cuddling up with politicians - be aware and be afraid!
We are about sport and culture, not our officials using our Asssociation to further themselves and politics!

Where do you think alot of the money comes from for the Association?
Our officials wouldnt be doing their job on behalf of the organisation if they were lobbying politicians for more money and help on the relevant issues of the day. The fact that politicians use this for furthering their own careers is a price that has to be paid.

I would say 99% of the officials that we have go into their post with the up most belief that they are doing this to help the overall association. Like any organisation there are going to be the few who tarnish this type of volunteer effort but we should not let this cloud the work that is carried out across the country by volunteers. There is a serious difference between a paid official and one doing it for the good of their club, county, province and association as a whole.

johnneycool

At least people are now becoming aware of the deceit and lies that are sweeping the GAA away from ordinary members - I mean aware in general across the county not this board which is of course a tiny snapshot!
The trend is the same across Ireland as we've seen over the Sky deal and booking Croke Park for American Football etc.

So the next time you see a nice little photoshoot of a GAA (paid & salaried) official cuddling up with politicians - be aware and be afraid!
We are about sport and culture, not our officials using our Asssociation to further themselves and politics!

Too late taking your breeks down after you've shit yourself lads.

How did you think this would pan out?

Ulster Council and Croke Park stumping up all the £€ on the GAA side of the deal, to hand over a brand new spanking stadium to Antrim Co Board to do as they pleased with, naive wouldn't come into it.

I keep telling people that these paid secretaries are under the control of the Ulster council and not the clubs in the county they are meant to be serving.

Na Glinntí Glasa

assuming the court ruling goes against the stadium plan and they have go back to the drawing board so to speak how long will that be a delay in the process?

im involved in this type of work (architecture) and to be honest im surprised that the stadium was allowed to be approved through planning. starving a neighbour of natural day light is something which planning will query even for putting a rear extension to your own house. if it does so then they can make you change your design. the residents may well have an actual case here if this was ignored.

that being said croke park is plopped in amongst houses and it seems to work. maybe the closer proximity of casement to the houses along the terrace side and motorway end is that much tighter.

traffic concerns are not so much of a factor as its in the city and traffic runs constantly all day around the ground. parking at the new ground for me is a major concern, how the DRD roads felt the ground could accommodate 35k people around this area and park safely is odd.

I have had houses take longer (and with more problems) to get approval. this development was rushed through and others have stated. the whole things a ballax
hurl like f**k boi!

DearyMe

Disaster!  Cant find the words to explain it!

As bannside said - 'out of their depth'!!!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on September 12, 2014, 09:34:59 AM

Our officials wouldnt be doing their job on behalf of the organisation if they were lobbying politicians for more money and help on the relevant issues of the day. The fact that politicians use this for furthering their own careers is a price that has to be paid.

What absolute nonsense! Complete nonsense!
Do you think for one second we rely on handouts from Government to pay for the GAA?
Unlike others, out Association has stood on its own financial feet for well over 100years!
The gate receipts, the fundraisers, the concerts in a Croke park and elsewhere which we built ourselves, the membership subscriptions and even the players insurance (doesnt exist in otehr sports) - we are self financing! Always have been!
Even the grants from the Free State for the Croker development have been shown to have been more than paid back in VAT and increased income to the exchequer.
I find it incredulous that any Gael would believe we need government handouts to survive!

Of course our officials have a job to do in reseraching and availing of community and government grants - but GAA clubs are entitled to that like any other entity which benefits the community aspect.
It is the job of GAA officials to do this yes - but thats not what I am talking about! I specifically said its their role in pushing agendas which are self-serving. Be it using the GAA to cuddle up to political quangos for extra cash or kudos or pushing the Casement debacle.
And I may be idealist - but being used by politicians is not a price which has to be paid! Stand up man! Our Association should not be prostituting itself at others behest!

I would say 99% of the officials that we have go into their post with the up most belief that they are doing this to help the overall association. Like any organisation there are going to be the few who tarnish this type of volunteer effort but we should not let this cloud the work that is carried out across the country by volunteers. There is a serious difference between a paid official and one doing it for the good of their club, county, province and association as a whole.

Is this for real?
The not so subtle difference between the volunteer spending hours in his local club, and the PAID & SALARIED GAA OFFICIAL who spends his hours networking with government quangos to further his own needs!
There is the difference!
Nobody mentioned the volunteers - I was slandering those GAA officials who we pay for, who use their jobs (our jobs) to further their own ends! Look at the GAA figures who stood over the Casement development, look at the figures you see in the photoshoots, they are not hard to identify! They use and abuse their GAA positions for their own ends. Shameful on those who allow it as much as they who do it! COuldnt be futher from our Volunteers!

aontroim abu

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 12, 2014, 10:37:46 AM

Do you think for one second we rely on handouts from Government to pay for the GAA?
Unlike others, out Association has stood on its own financial feet for well over 100years!
The gate receipts, the fundraisers, the concerts in a Croke park and elsewhere which we built ourselves, the membership subscriptions and even the players insurance (doesnt exist in otehr sports) - we are self financing! Always have been!
Even the grants from the Free State for the Croker development have been shown to have been more than paid back in VAT and increased income to the exchequer.
I find it incredulous that any Gael would believe we need government handouts to survive!

Of course our officials have a job to do in reseraching and availing of community and government grants - but GAA clubs are entitled to that like any other entity which benefits the community aspect.
And I may be idealist - but being used by politicians is not a price which has to be paid! Stand up man! Our Association should not be prostituting itself at others behest!

Is this for real?
The not so subtle difference between the volunteer spending hours in his local club, and the PAID & SALARIED OFFICIAL who spends his hours networking with government quangos to further his own needs!
There is the difference!
Nobody mentioned the volunteers - I was slandering those people who we pay for, who use their jobs (our jobs) to further their own ends! Look at the figures who stood over the Casement development, look at the figures you see in the photoshoots, they are not hard to identify!

Is this for real?
The not so subtle difference between the volunteer spending hours in his local club, and the PAID & SALARIED OFFICIAL who spends his hours networking with government quangos to further his own needs!
There is the difference!
Nobody mentioned the volunteers - I was slandering those people who we pay for, who use their jobs (our jobs) to further their own ends! Look at the figures who stood over the Casement development, look at the figures you see in the photoshoots, they are not hard to identify!

Is there anyone in particular this is aimed at?????????

NAG1

It is the job of GAA officials to do this yes - but thats not what I am talking about! I specifically said its their role in pushing agendas which are self-serving. Be it using the GAA to cuddle up to political quangos for extra cash or kudos or pushing the Casement debacle.

Is this for real?
The not so subtle difference between the volunteer spending hours in his local club, and the PAID & SALARIED GAA OFFICIAL who spends his hours networking with government quangos to further his own needs!
There is the difference!
Nobody mentioned the volunteers - I was slandering those GAA officials who we pay for, who use their jobs (our jobs) to further their own ends! Look at the GAA figures who stood over the Casement development, look at the figures you see in the photoshoots, they are not hard to identify! They use and abuse their GAA positions for their own ends. Shameful on those who allow it as much as they who do it! COuldnt be futher from our Volunteers!

I think your use of the word 'Slandering' should have given you a hint while writing your post, that you were on the wrong track.

If you had read my post correctly, I said that 'a lot' of the money comes from governments whether that be in terms of investment directly into the GAA or through Irish Sports Council, yes GAA contributes a heck of alot back to the community as a whole, but they are by no means without government aid, north or south of the border. Nor should they be with the significant impact that it has both sides of the border.

Again on the salaried officials, they are doing a job which we as an organisation pay them to do. Without these roles we would not be the organisation that we are today. We need these people to be on these 'quangos' so that the GAA remains at the forefront. We need them working with politicians so that we are a strong relevant organisation. I take your point that some of them maybe self serving, but you get that in every walk of life, do not tar those all with the same brush. As we are the organisation we are today, with the help of those paid officials as well as the every day volunteers like ourselves.

cfclg

Quote from: aontroim abu on September 12, 2014, 10:44:48 AM

Is this for real?
There is the difference!

Is this for real?
There is the difference!

I'm just going to throw it out there............... Do we all blame Jim Murray for this mess. I don't know the man and never met him but he's the head huncho, surely he must take responsibility for this mess. Is he the guy that is trying to further himself?

btdtgtt

Is this for real?
There is the difference!

Is this for real?
There is the difference!

I left out an (S) for plural - and like I say they are not hard to identify!

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on September 12, 2014, 10:54:36 AM

Is this for real?
There is the difference!

I think your use of the word 'Slandering' should have given you a hint while writing your post, that you were on the wrong track.

I used slandering as tongue in cheek as you clealry took issue with my comments.

If you had read my post correctly, I said that 'a lot' of the money comes from governments whether that be in terms of investment directly into the GAA or through Irish Sports Council, yes GAA contributes a heck of alot back to the community as a whole, but they are by no means without government aid, north or south of the border. Nor should they be with the significant impact that it has both sides of the border.

Aid? Aid is what is sent to 3rd world countries.
The grants are what the GAA clubs and their communities are entitled to like any other entity.
It is not aid. And they money is more than value added.

Again on the salaried officials, they are doing a job which we as an organisation pay them to do. Without these roles we would not be the organisation that we are today. We need these people to be on these 'quangos' so that the GAA remains at the forefront. We need them working with politicians so that we are a strong relevant organisation. I take your point that some of them maybe self serving, but you get that in every walk of life, do not tar those all with the same brush. As we are the organisation we are today, with the help of those paid officials as well as the every day volunteers like ourselves.

I don't get what part of this you are missing. I have no problem with them doing the jobs they are paid to do.
But I take serious issue with them using their role to further their own ends. We most certainly do not need to be represented on political bodies or quangos.
Read your official guide.
The GAA is a non-political organisation.
We cannot complain about being compared to the Orange Order when our paid officials are routinely to be found at Stormont or the Policing Board and indeed party political conferences. They are not there because of a personal capacity - they are there as GAA representitives and they are there because they have put themselves there.
They have abused positions in our Association for their own gain and that is plain to see in the Casement debacle also.
Stuff ordinary members, stuff residents, stuff the social club, stuff the lot - me and my mates in Stormont need a photoshoot. And I need another nest egg with a comfertable number on a quango. A price worth paying eh - no thanks.

And as if I need to say it again - this is a million miles from our Volunteers and that ethos.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: cfclg on September 12, 2014, 11:24:50 AM

Is this for real?
There is the difference!

Is this for real?
There is the difference!

I'm just going to throw it out there............... Do we all blame Jim Murray for this mess. I don't know the man and never met him but he's the head huncho, surely he must take responsibility for this mess. Is he the guy that is trying to further himself?

He's I blame him and the county board
Signing over our grounds that don't belong to him but the clubs
If what hardstation says is correct that we signed it over for nothing and we need funds for dunsilly is pathetic
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Knock it on the head. This is a hurling thread. Lot of experts on everything on here.

NAG1

btdtgtt

I hate those messages that turn into half a page.

OK few questions -
How do you think the association is prostituting itself by networking with politicians?
How do you think that GAA avails of these Government Grants? Do the applications do themselves?
Or because we are 'entitled' to them the governments just rock up at the offices with brief cases of money?

If you think think this salaried official, is not doing the job he is paid for then name him, surely making such a statement means you have plenty of evidence to back up your claim?

Is it not the responsibility of every salaried official to network? I for one dont think they would be doing their job very well if they didnt.

If they arent hard to identify then lets here who you think they are and what they have done wrong?

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on September 12, 2014, 11:45:26 AM
btdtgtt

Ok I will keep it shorter.
OK few questions -
How do you think the association is prostituting itself by networking with politicians?
Have you ever heard of Garth Brooks? Sitting on Policing Boards? None of this marrying with politics is in a personal capacity - becuse they have no personal capacity - its as a result of their GAA positions.
How do you think that GAA avails of these Government Grants? Do the applications do themselves?
Or because we are 'entitled' to them the governments just rock up at the offices with brief cases of money?
Yet again, getting grants I've no problem with.
We are entitled to them.
Rough riding over Gaels for personal gain is not what they are paid for.
But that its what's happening - do you think everything our paid officals do is related to getting us grants?!
Really? You really believe that?

If you think think this salaried official, is not doing the job he is paid for then name him, surely making such a statement means you have plenty of evidence to back up your claim?

I've said already the guys in question in Ulster Council in particular are not hard to spot. They advertise it themselves.

Is it not the responsibility of every salaried official to network? I for one dont think they would be doing their job very well if they didnt.

Its a responsibilty to network? With whom? To what end?

If they arent hard to identify then lets here who you think they are and what they have done wrong?

Read my posts if they are not too long!
Simple version - they are bringing themselves into the political arena for their own benefit - and using our GAA paid roles to do so. We are routinely compared to the Orange Order - and why not? We network in the same circles nowadays! Some people even think its our duty to network! Oh yeah - they are just getting our grants for us. Great lads.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 12, 2014, 12:07:43 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 12, 2014, 11:45:26 AM
btdtgtt

Ok I will keep it shorter.
OK few questions -
Have you ever heard of Garth Brooks?
Yet again, getting grants I've no problem with.
We are entitled to them.
Rough riding over Gaels for personal gain is not what they are paid for.
But they its what's happening - do you think everything our paid officals do is related to getting us grants?!
Really? You really believe that?

I've said already the guys in question in Ulster Council in particular are not hard to spot. They advertise it themselves.

Its a responsibilty to network? With whom? To what end?

Read my posts if they are not too long!
Simple version - they are bringing themselves into the political arena for their own benefit - and using our GAA paid roles to do so. We are routinely compared to the Orange Order - and why not? We network in the same circles nowadays! Some people even think its our duty to network! Oh yeah - they are just getting our grants for us. Great lads.

The above is an overly simplistic view that is significantly out of touch with reality.

To think that we just go about our business and the Irish / British government will rock up with money as we're entitled as an association is naive (being polite) and utterly ridiculous (more realistic).