Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Ballycastle havnt done it in 30 years Megaman so it's hard to argue with you. I don't think their defence is amazing and that is their downfall.

Their forwards on paper (McGarry, Donnelly, Clarke, Saul, Stoogy, Jennings) look very impressive. But they were awful on Saturday night. Until they learn how to get the best out of them they will remain a non runner.

I think a good manager could win a championship with that squad.

NAG1

Quote from: Megaman on September 04, 2014, 03:41:02 PM
NAG, wind your neck in, the only shock result last weekend was Cushendall beating Lougheil. And if you thought otherwise you are totally delusional.

Dunloy beating Ballycastle was not even close to a shock. Dont understand peoples optimism for ballycastle each year, they are a poor side which last weekend showed.

Really pointless debate all the same  :-X

That was my exact point Megaman have a look back!

agreed on the merits of the argument all the same  ;)

Megaman

Probably being a bit harsh saying they are a poor side.

They have some good forwards now, but i would still see it as a major shock if they where to beat one of the top 3 in the championship.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Megaman on September 04, 2014, 04:05:07 PM

They have some good forwards now, but i would still see it as a major shock if they where to beat one of the top 3 in the championship.

Ballycastle are not a poor side, they just figured out how to win yet ( see loughgeil not so long ago)
I think they might need someone like Jim nelson
For all there firepower they have only one forward how knows how to ship a tackle and get on with it
I know one thing, if they ever commit themselves, throw away the mental inhibitions that comes from not winning for a very long time then god helps us all for five years
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 04, 2014, 05:46:47 PM
Quote from: Megaman on September 04, 2014, 04:05:07 PM

Ballycastle are not a poor side, they just figured out how to win yet ( see loughgeil not so long ago)
I think they might need someone like Jim nelson
For all there firepower they have only one forward how knows how to ship a tackle and get on with it
I know one thing, if they ever commit themselves, throw away the mental inhibitions that comes from not winning for a very long time then god helps us all for five years

Yep, that could be the thing, they've always went in house and to be fair to them they have had some great hurlers in their day but management is different altogether, and someone who's not going to have the baggage of club politics hanging over him may be the answer.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Joe Cassidy is their joint manager he is not from the club.

Glensman

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 04, 2014, 10:57:05 AM
Quote from: Bonamargy on September 04, 2014, 10:08:21 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 04, 2014, 09:44:25 AM
I'm finding it difficult to believe that an referee turned a 21yard free into a penalty?

Casement saga in court next week it appears.

Cloughmills player ran in and tackled McKernan when he was striking the free from 25 yards. Jackie booked the Cloughmills player and awarded a penalty. Sarsfields scored their goal from the rebound.

So is this adjudged to be a separate infringement and hence the penalty award?
But surely even this wasnt within the square?
I would have though book the guy and move to a more advantageous position?
Did Cloughmills not go crazy at the time! Seems a strange one to me!

Going crazy on the sideline is a different thing from in the heat of battle just getting on with it as players - would Jackie has changes his mind? Probably not and issued a yellow card. It was not inside the box (either infraction) and it appears should not have become a penalty in any event - should have been moves forward to the more advantageous position as noted. Bit of a disgrace.

Have a lot of sympathy for refs but getting these basic things wrong cost CMills dearly...not necessarily the reason they lost but was a huge turning point.

Can referees not get together and agree positions on things where they come up in games. I was stood not too far away from another well respected referee in the county who called these two things and a couple more differently. A high pressure position alright but the least players deserve is consitency and rules applied.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sylvieslynanesnutsack on September 04, 2014, 06:23:18 PM
Joe Cassidy is their joint manager he is not from the club.

Is he not a coach? football man also. completely different
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Calls as many shots as McShane. He is definitely a football man, just look at his intercounty career with Derry. Think that's part of the Town's problem, hurling is a unique game, very different to football.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sylvieslynanesnutsack on September 04, 2014, 06:48:50 PM
Calls as many shots as McShane. He is definitely a football man, just look at his intercounty career with Derry. Think that's part of the Town's problem, hurling is a unique game, very different to football.

I can understand a coach getting involved in a game but the reality is the manager should be the only one doing it. Coach for coaching manager for managing, too many cooks and all that

Minder

He was with with Loughgiel too & managed Cross & Passion school teams so I would say he has a fair idea what he is at by now
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 04, 2014, 06:53:35 PM

I can understand a coach getting involved in a game but the reality is the manager should be the only one doing it. Coach for coaching manager for managing, too many cooks and all that

Yep agree with that.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Glensman on September 04, 2014, 06:28:52 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 04, 2014, 10:57:05 AM
Quote from: Bonamargy on September 04, 2014, 10:08:21 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 04, 2014, 09:44:25 AM
I'm finding it difficult to believe that an referee turned a 21yard free into a penalty?

Casement saga in court next week it appears.

Cloughmills player ran in and tackled McKernan when he was striking the free from 25 yards. Jackie booked the Cloughmills player and awarded a penalty. Sarsfields scored their goal from the rebound.

So is this adjudged to be a separate infringement and hence the penalty award?
But surely even this wasnt within the square?
I would have though book the guy and move to a more advantageous position?
Did Cloughmills not go crazy at the time! Seems a strange one to me!

Going crazy on the sideline is a different thing from in the heat of battle just getting on with it as players - would Jackie has changes his mind? Probably not and issued a yellow card. It was not inside the box (either infraction) and it appears should not have become a penalty in any event - should have been moves forward to the more advantageous position as noted. Bit of a disgrace.

Have a lot of sympathy for refs but getting these basic things wrong cost CMills dearly...not necessarily the reason they lost but was a huge turning point.

Can referees not get together and agree positions on things where they come up in games. I was stood not too far away from another well respected referee in the county who called these two things and a couple more differently. A high pressure position alright but the least players deserve is consitency and rules applied.

Yes I understand a referee making a debateable call in an ambiguous scenario - we're all human an all that.
But this just seems such a blatant error in a basic rule!
Hard to get the head round for anyone let alone a cloughmills man!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2014, 06:56:13 PM

He was with with Loughgiel too & managed Cross & Passion school teams so I would say he has a fair idea what he is at by now

Sure sign him up then for Glenariffe

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Minder, that management team have had a few seasons now. They are no closer to success. I reckon if the town got a hurling man in they would have a good chance of success. Who though?????? Suggestions people ..........