Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hurler24 on September 01, 2014, 12:00:12 AM
Not getting at you here MR2 by any stretch of the imagination, but interested about the first sending off yday? My understanding was both players putting the butt of the hurl into each other waiting on the free?Just wondering what else or what was seen that allowed one to be a straight red and the other a yellow.And then also how does this compare to the Watson incident?similar thing with the butt of the hurl yet a yellow card was awarded?

Linesman seen the challenge while i was consultating with the umpires. Number 4 from ballycastle was seen clearly to strike dunloy forward after they tussled. Castle man didnt complain in fairness and neutrals who saw it all said same. Dunloy lad booked for his minor challenge wish id have seen it but Thats what the other officials are there for.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Not really. These things Dont happen over night. Quarter final is good and my club in semi so doing the maths i reckon job done at senior. What ya think?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Eamon could get the job id say. As for my musings on here hindering me, there is nowt really in a  lot i say. Must people will actually not read posts but go by hearsay.

I defend a lot of what the referees do. Being a player i would have complained to referees during play. I fully understand their frustrations when trying to control games while trying to let it 'flow' that bit is down to how the players attitude is on the day.

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 01, 2014, 07:27:04 AM
Being a player i would have complained to referees during play. I fully understand their frustrations when trying to control games while trying to let it 'flow' that bit is down to how the players attitude is on the day.

Anyone who's ever refereed a game at any level will understand how difficult it is to see every infraction during a game. You not only need eyes in the back of your head, you need little sentinel robot eyes to give a side on perspective as well to see every stick held or arm held. In the Dunloy game I thought MR used his officials more than Ive seen many's a referee do. I see that as a positive trait rather than a negative one. Do some referees feel they need to show that they see everything and don't need assistance? I don't know.

I think the dangerous one is when a new referee gets too much smoke blown up his 4$$ the old ego kicks in and he then subconsciously wants to become part of the performance. Maybe they all go through that phase. Not long for you now MR. :)

The numbers of hurling referees is a real concern at the minute. There's been a serious amount of juvenile games played without official referees. No referee's available (been this way for years) for any U12 & U14 league games plus many U16 & 18 with no shows. In our SW football leagues ALL games from U12 up have official referees. For a game like hurling its not on. The solution though?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on September 01, 2014, 08:56:41 AM
Being a player i would have complained to referees during play. I fully understand their frustrations when trying to control games while trying to let it 'flow' that bit is down to how the players attitude is on the day.

Anyone who's ever refereed a game at any level will understand how difficult it is to see every infraction during a game. You not only need eyes in the back of your head, you need little sentinel robot eyes to give a side on perspective as well to see every stick held or arm held. In the Dunloy game I thought MR used his officials more than Ive seen many's a referee do. I see that as a positive trait rather than a negative one. Do some referees feel they need to show that they see everything and don't need assistance? I don't know.

I think the dangerous one is when a new referee gets too much smoke blown up his 4$$ the old ego kicks in and he then subconsciously wants to become part of the performance. Maybe they all go through that phase. Not long for you now MR. :)

The numbers of hurling referees is a real concern at the minute. There's been a serious amount of juvenile games played without official referees. No referee's available (been this way for years) for any U12 & U14 league games plus many U16 & 18 with no shows. In our SW football leagues ALL games from U12 up have official referees. For a game like hurling its not on. The solution though?

Well this is also a problem, in terms of people getting above their station, it happens. I must say though it doesn't help the referee when silly accusations are thrown at them, they are only human and when someone calls you a cheat, be he a player/manager/supporter it is fecking annoying. I must say though that the discipline towards the referee by the Dunloy lads was fantastic and needs to be commended. Neal McAuley was excellent throughout the game and talked sense. It's not like rugby where the referee can call the two captains but it's something I've done, I've also spoke to both teams after a fracas. Whether this works or not I'm not sure. But I do know that the majority of referees want an incident free game with handshakes from both losers and winners.

Osin McConville wrote about it lately I'll throw up the link, decent read

north_antrim_hound

I would say the underage ref problem is nationwide
Just like the senior one, it's a thankless job
But the contrast in the to ref performances in the semis this weekend was night and day
Our match he used his officials and administered cards on the info he was given
I don't think ballycastle would have any complaints never mind dunloy
Last nights performance was a joke, very harsh on dall and seemed to be trying to keep LG in the match
Chickened out on the watson incident and he always wants to be the center of attention
Maybe not the best thing to come on here and lambast a man giving up his own time but the players put in a lot of effort the whole year for days like yesterday and while they don't deserve perfection they should at least get a neutral input
Just like dunloy and ballycastle got
Me and mr2 have had our run ins on here in the past and will in the future but credit where it's due
And the other performance deserves criticism when it's due as well

There seems to be some better refs coming through though, the sooner they get the big matches the better
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 01, 2014, 10:02:36 AM

But the contrast in the to ref performances in the semis this weekend was night and day
Last nights performance was a joke, very harsh on dall and seemed to be trying to keep LG in the match
Chickened out on the watson incident and he always wants to be the center of attention
Maybe not the best thing to come on here and lambast a man giving up his own time but the players put in a lot of effort the whole year for days like yesterday and while they don't deserve perfection they should at least get a neutral input
Me and mr2 have had our run ins on here in the past and will in the future but credit where it's due

There seems to be some better refs coming through though, the sooner they get the big matches the better

Look just like a player we are only one game away from having a shitter, Owen has refereed a lot of games that I've played in and managed, I like his style and I can talk to him. I've never really had any issues with him. Anytime his name came up to referee my club I know how the game will be refereed. I can't for the life of me see why a referee would let his integrity be called into question when so many people are watching a game and no doubt being assessed also.

Anyways back to the run in, I got finally a match report on our game, we were complete shite!! handling issues, shot selection tackling and stole the game. This would need to be fixed pretty soon, our best players in the past are struggling, hopefully with Stewarty back from hols we will have that drive back that he brings to the team. If not I fear for a serious hiding come the semi final never mind senior

btdtgtt

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 01, 2014, 10:02:36 AM

100% correct.

Thats said I do think Elliot has been light years ahead of Duffy et al.

Now Mr2 don't you go doing your annual playing down of Naomh Gall - I'm expecting a decent showing in a tighter than expected final and nothing less!

Milltown Row2

No not playing us down our belittling Clooney Gaels who from what I gathered were great only for the last 5 minutes to lose the match. We should be (with the players we have) hammering teams like Clooney Gaels but we continue to find ourselves in a battle!! I've said it before I love the way the Gaels approach a match simple plan, work like feck to get the ball into their best players up front, two man forward line and PJ got 2 goals, not rocket science but it works for them. I hope they are building on their current success in hurling and that they will be challenging again next year

NAG1

Just on the debate on the refs, I would like to know what OE booked LW for, was it attempted striking with the hurl, striking with the hurl or interference with the helmet/faceguard?

To me I would have thought all of these were Red Card offences, I dont think there will be a clearer one missed all year.

Just would be curious as to why.

cfclg

My tuppence worth from the wknd:

Ballycastle were desperate on Saturday and Dunloy not overly impressive either in a very poor game of hurling. Sunday saw Lgiel do the same as ballycastle the night before. They didn't turn up and didn't appear to have any game plan either. Cushendall deserve all the plaudits, they were excellent throughout. McManus perhaps needs to improve on the scores from play, hit a lot of wides which were easy scores by his standards, but that didn't cost them in the end.

Intermediate looks to be a done deal for a Rossa Glenarife final. That's what we all expected and should be a good battle that one.

Has anyone any idea of potential double headers/venues for upcoming semis in junior/intermed/senior matches?

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 01, 2014, 10:55:33 AM
No not playing us down our belittling Clooney Gaels who from what I gathered were great only for the last 5 minutes to lose the match. We should be (with the players we have) hammering teams like Clooney Gaels but we continue to find ourselves in a battle!! I've said it before I love the way the Gaels approach a match simple plan, work like feck to get the ball into their best players up front, two man forward line and PJ got 2 goals, not rocket science but it works for them. I hope they are building on their current success in hurling and that they will be challenging again next year

Steady on there MR2 It's been a long time from you were in division 1. The fact you have got there and are close to staying up should be respected. You were in the same division as Gaels last year in what is a very competitive division, so you should definitely not be hammering teams 'like that'. You have been on here recently saying how close that game would be.

thegladiator

Sarsfields v cloughmills replay set for 8pm wednesday night in Ballycastle.

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Quote from: thegladiator on September 01, 2014, 06:00:55 PM
Sarsfields v cloughmills replay set for 8pm wednesday night in Ballycastle.

Hard one to call!!!

thegladiator

Think the timing and location tip it towards cloughmills tbh. Just hope it doesn't go to extra time!