Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hirty Darry on August 05, 2014, 04:19:00 PM
It's that time of the year again when I start to take a more serious interest in Antrim hurling. 

I have to say, I would be more than disappointed if my club had to contest a championship game in anyone's "second" pitch.

Pitch conditions - it doesn't matter if it rained for a week in Dunloy or for 2 hours - games shouldn't be contested if the pitches are unplayable.

I thought both pitches looked unplayable.

Creggan had their chances and will not doubt learn from this experience.  Carey were slightly disappointing on the day but I feel they will be knocking about at the business end.

Loughgiel without a doubt the team to beat, although I can't see them getting the same time and space as they progress.

What's the best option then? Play it on the Monday night when the weather was great? That's the problem we don't know when the weather is going to be decent to allow the pitches time to recover, a lot of people complaining about games being played late in the year and when its played in the height of summer we still can't get it right. Both pitches had spots that were not great and it's a shame that teams who train all year had to have their games played on pitches that weren't great but that's the way it goes.

I'm sure had the rain continued then they would have been called off.  As for Creggaan I was impressed with them (again) some great hurlers in that team and I expect them to certainly hold their own in the league above where they are at present. Rossa and Glenariffe I'd say would be the stronger teams in this championship.

Didn't stay for more than 15 mins of the Loughgiel game but in that time they had already knocked over 1-5 and didn't seem pushed, young Janty up from in a 2 man ff line was the only one with a bitta sprak, which left me wondering where was the extra man played?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hirty Darry

Not having a go at the refs or Dunloy as hosts.  The county wouldn't have entertained any suggestion of the games not going ahead.  Just very fortunate no one was seriously injured.  Four weeks between 1st round and quarter finals. Teams shouldn't feel they have to play in such conditions just because it's the easy option.

On another note, who is calling the shots now for Loughgiel SIE?

Appeared to have a few new faces on the line.

keep her low this half

I felt sorry for Creggan and Carey having to play on a small pitch that had already had a match that day and was a mess before it even started. While the matches probably had to be played the intermediate match could have been played somewhere else Armoy/Ballycastle/Loughgiel would all have been better options. Does that training pitch even meet the size requirements for a senior championship game?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: keep her low this half on August 05, 2014, 09:40:32 PM
I felt sorry for Creggan and Carey having to play on a small pitch that had already had a match that day and was a mess before it even started. While the matches probably had to be played the intermediate match could have been played somewhere else Armoy/Ballycastle/Loughgiel would all have been better options. Does that training pitch even meet the size requirements for a senior championship game?

I'd say it more than fits the requirements. It's just a bollox that it had 2 days of rain, I'd say that the pitch they played on was better than the main pitch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Hirty Darry on August 05, 2014, 09:19:25 PM
Not having a go at the refs or Dunloy as hosts.  The county wouldn't have entertained any suggestion of the games not going ahead.  Just very fortunate no one was seriously injured.  Four weeks between 1st round and quarter finals. Teams shouldn't feel they have to play in such conditions just because it's the easy option.

On another note, who is calling the shots now for Loughgiel SIE?

Appeared to have a few new faces on the line.

Does that comment stand up to scrutiny?  :-\

For the record ... I wouldn't ideally have liked to have played championship in that but if you want to compete in the All Ireland Club series it might stand you in good stead
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

Dunloy 0-16
Loughgiel 1-10 FT
Dead atmosphere game, lgiel had a changed team from Sunday. No Liam Watson now he's injured and they missed some easy frees. Pitch was really wet again.
hurl like f**k boi!

The Memory Man

St. Johns 1.19 v St. Galls 1.12.  Johnnies were 5 down at half time 1.6 to 0.4, seemed like a hangover from Sunday!  But fair play to them they cut loose in the second half against a very poor and ill disciplined St. Galls and hit 1.15. If CJ would hurl as much as he slabbered it would benefit them greatly.  I wish I was 20 years younger, lining thon!! :)

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 06, 2014, 08:56:34 PM
Dunloy 0-16
Loughgiel 1-10 FT
Dead atmosphere game, lgiel had a changed team from Sunday. No Liam Watson now he's injured and they missed some easy frees. Pitch was really wet again.

Only recognise a handful of first team players based on the team posted on the Lgiel website, was this really the starting 15?

How close to full strength were Dunloy?

Any reports on the Cushendall v Ballycastle game?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Memory Man on August 06, 2014, 10:19:20 PM
St. Johns 1.19 v St. Galls 1.12.  Johnnies were 5 down at half time 1.6 to 0.4, seemed like a hangover from Sunday!  But fair play to them they cut loose in the second half against a very poor and ill disciplined St. Galls and hit 1.15. If CJ would hurl as much as he slabbered it would benefit them greatly.  I wish I was 20 years younger, lining thon!! :)

Bad result for us considering the Johnnies poor form, but fair play the Johnnies, they can now have a good season :o

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hirty Darry on August 06, 2014, 11:16:54 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 06, 2014, 08:56:34 PM
Dunloy 0-16
Loughgiel 1-10 FT

Only recognise a handful of first team players based on the team posted on the Lgiel website, was this really the starting 15?

How close to full strength were Dunloy?

Any reports on the Cushendall v Ballycastle game?

loughgiel were changed all over, no Eddie or Tony McCloskey, Ding, James Campbell etc on their starting team. we were more or less the same team but a load of positional changes all over the pitch. it was much the same as the ballycastle game with no team giving away a starting line up.
hurl like f**k boi!

Bonamargy

Against Cushendall we had a very much weakened team out, had a couple of injuries and the rest were rested for championship. Having said that Cushendall did look impressive enough in scoring 1-25  against us. Can't wait for championship quarter finals weekend.

imtommygunn

When are the quarter finals??

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 07, 2014, 07:40:34 PM
When are the quarter finals??
I think the weekend beginning 29th august. I'm not aware of any of the fixtures actually set in stone yet. Venues, times etc.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

Cheers. Was trying to find details on county web-site but said tbc.

aontroim

Saturday 30th August 2014
6 00 PM    Cuchullains-Dunloy v Mac Uilin CLG - Loughgiel Shamrocks - Quarter-Final     

Sunday 31st August 2014
Senior Hurling Championship
1 00 PM    Naomh Brid Cloiche An Mhuillinn - Na Sairseil/Patrick Sarsfields - Dunloy - Quarter-Final     
2 30 PM    Ghaeil Chluanaidh - Naomh Gall - Dunloy - Quarter-Final     
6 00 PM    Ruairí Óg - Loughgiel Shamrocks - Ballycastle - Quarter-Final