Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 03, 2014, 08:51:14 PM
Full time. 7-13 to 2-6.

I left after 10 minutes, the teams left won't learn anything from that match
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 03, 2014, 09:55:50 PM
I wasn't at the game but I'm hearing the Johnnies were the better team for the majority of the game.

No smileys??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bonamargy

Both pitches in Dunloy were not really playable, absolutely ruined the intermediate game by playing it on the bog of a training pitch. Shouldn't have to play a championship game on a sub standard pitch. Both games should have been moved after yesterday's rain and today's forecast of more rain, combined with the history of Dunloys pitch not being able to hold rain. Loughgiel didn't have to get out of 2nd gear to demolish the Johnnies. MR2 as a neutral, you had a mare in the first game, you gave Carey nothing at all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bonamargy on August 03, 2014, 10:15:15 PM
Both pitches in Dunloy were not really playable, absolutely ruined the intermediate game by playing it on the bog of a training pitch. Shouldn't have to play a championship game on a sub standard pitch. Both games should have been moved after yesterday's rain and today's forecast of more rain, combined with the history of Dunloys pitch not being able to hold rain. Loughgiel didn't have to get out of 2nd gear to demolish the Johnnies. MR2 as a neutral, you had a mare in the first game, you gave Carey nothing at all.

Thanks  ;D ;D

NAG1

I wasn't at the game but I'm hearing the Johnnies were the better team for the majority of the game.

Having watched the game last night walked away in a state of confusion. If that was seriously the best way St Johns could, prepare themselves for senior championship maybe it is time they looked at alternatives.

Tactically woeful, players not able to get to the pace physically or technically and a real lack of effort throughout the team for the game.

Na Glinntí Glasa

sorry it rained in Dunloy for 2 solid days  :o

i think a bit more respect should be given to the people in our club who stood in the rain for 2 days spiking and sweeping water away to ensure that both games got played. our main pitch was closed from Monday onwards after checking the weather forcast so as it would be in a condition to hold the games if it rained. it meant all the grades in the club trained on one pitch, 3 at a time at one stage.

anyway no pitch would of been playable after 2 days of heavy rain. it wasnt to blame for creggan not being able to score or the johnies from conceeding goals.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2014, 08:54:09 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 04, 2014, 08:46:49 AM

Having watched the game last night walked away in a state of confusion. If that was seriously the best way St Johns could, prepare themselves for senior championship maybe it is time they looked at alternatives.

Tactically woeful, players not able to get to the pace physically or technically and a real lack of effort throughout the team for the game.

I don't think their preparation could have been that great when their management team walked away from them a couple of weeks back.

Also, begs the question, did Ballycastle send their buckin camogs to Corrigan last week? :o

HS agreed.

However is this not an annual occurrence with this particular manager/ coach walking away after causing a storm. I think they need to take a serious look at themselves and where they are going, all this underage success and it is getting them no where.

Are they taking the under age too seriously and burning their talented players out before they even get the length of senior level?

Players also have to take some personal responsibility, booking holidays etc at this time of the year knowing you are going to be playing championship - it just wouldn't happen at any of the other top teams wanting to win a championship.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 04, 2014, 08:52:00 AM

i think a bit more respect should be given to the people in our club who stood in the rain for 2 days spiking and sweeping water away to ensure that both games got played. our main pitch was closed from Monday onwards after checking the weather forcast so as it would be in a condition to hold the games if it rained. it meant all the grades in the club trained on one pitch, 3 at a time at one stage.

anyway no pitch would of been playable after 2 days of heavy rain. it wasnt to blame for creggan not being able to score or the johnies from conceeding goals.

Considering the weather DR the pitches were great, fair play to the team of lads who worked hard to have the main pitch ready. As for the Johnnies, they would not have been close to Loughgiel anyways such is the standard at the top, Loughgiel have dispatched teams similar to that score line before so it wasn't really a shock. The Johnnies do have talented hurlers it's getting them to work as a team and commit that seems to be the problem, internal struggles happen in most clubs but should not involve the teams prep for championship.

theskull1

Twas pretty cringeworthy stuff from the Johnnies.

Easy to see that Loughgiel look ready and able to defend their title.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on August 04, 2014, 12:29:45 PM
Twas pretty cringeworthy stuff from the Johnnies.

Easy to see that Loughgiel look ready and able to defend their title.

Yeah I wasnt in anyway taking away from the LG which was slick and they look to have a bit of zip back that had been missing.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2014, 09:23:50 AM

Considering the weather DR the pitches were great, fair play to the team of lads who worked hard to have the main pitch ready. As for the Johnnies, they would not have been close to Loughgiel anyways such is the standard at the top, Loughgiel have dispatched teams similar to that score line before so it wasn't really a shock. The Johnnies do have talented hurlers it's getting them to work as a team and commit that seems to be the problem, internal struggles happen in most clubs but should not involve the teams prep for championship.

i  was at our league game up in St Johns this year and that side that beat us wasnt even present on sunday against Loughgiel. whatever internal stuff happened has clearly knocked the stuffing out of them. they beat us that day with good short passing, fast movement and pure work rate. None of that was event on sunday. their short fast puck outs were all gone as well.

its a pity becasue i thought the Johnies were playing a good brand of  hurling and had the potential to push on. they may still do that but on that performance on sunday it may take some time
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 05, 2014, 08:59:44 AM

i  was at our league game up in St Johns this year and that side that beat us wasnt even present on sunday against Loughgiel. whatever internal stuff happened has clearly knocked the stuffing out of them. they beat us that day with good short passing, fast movement and pure work rate. None of that was event on sunday. their short fast puck outs were all gone as well.

its a pity becasue i thought the Johnies were playing a good brand of  hurling and had the potential to push on. they may still do that but on that performance on sunday it may take some time

DR what was your take on Ballycastle then at the weekend? Not much being given away with the championship game coming up in a few weeks?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 05, 2014, 11:01:43 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 05, 2014, 08:59:44 AM

DR what was your take on Ballycastle then at the weekend? Not much being given away with the championship game coming up in a few weeks?

Christ If the Johnnies beat them then they must be pish

Na Glinntí Glasa

Ballycastle played some decent stuff throughout the match, took alot of good long range scores in the second half. it was a game that could have went either way to be fair. o dont think both teams went all out plus the pitch was very soft underfoot so it played a part.

i personally think its a straigh 50/50 game that will be decided by who wants it more and a bit of luck.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hirty Darry

It's that time of the year again when I start to take a more serious interest in Antrim hurling. 

I have to say, I would be more than disappointed if my club had to contest a championship game in anyone's "second" pitch.

Pitch conditions - it doesn't matter if it rained for a week in Dunloy or for 2 hours - games shouldn't be contested if the pitches are unplayable.

I thought both pitches looked unplayable.

Creggan had their chances and will not doubt learn from this experience.  Carey were slightly disappointing on the day but I feel they will be knocking about at the business end.

Loughgiel without a doubt the team to beat, although I can't see them getting the same time and space as they progress.