Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

No doubt there are poorly coached sides who are encouraged to "compete". If they lack the skill to do this legally it resorts to brutality and intimidation
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cfclg

Quote from: theskull1 on April 24, 2014, 03:41:43 PM
No doubt there are poorly coached sides who are encouraged to "compete". If they lack the skill to do this legally it resorts to brutality and intimidation

Yeah, Glenarm and Lamd Dearg being two of them........................................ Have been for quite some time

johnneycool

There's always be a bit of intimidation in any sort of contact sport, but I think there's a line you do not cross, such as biting, headbutting (even if its now futile with everyone wearing helmets), and striking, shafting in and around the head and face area.

FWIW, there's always been a train of thought in the Ards clubs that the Antrim CB have historically been far more lenient with suspensions than their Down counterparts.

Gizzy15

Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 01:55:09 PM
In all fairness to btdtgtt the broad brush used by Apparently So set in motion the them and us mentality in the first place.

Thank god for a neutral, was waiting on someone saying that.

Gizzy15

Quote from: Gizzy15 on April 22, 2014, 05:32:24 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 22, 2014, 05:19:22 PM
Quote from: Apparently so on April 22, 2014, 05:03:58 PM
I was told a version of events from a neutral who was at the game. According to him, Lamh Dearg were playing very dirty and doing a serious amount of mouthing throughout the game. The player who got the eye injury was playing very dirty on the Glenarm lad who ended up eventually retaliating. The Glenarm player was apparently being struck by the hurl off the ball constantly and an attempted headbutt as well. I'm not excusing the strike to the eye because it sounds a rough one but according to this lad who told the story, there was only so much shite Glenarm could put up with until there was some sort of retaliation. Before the strike to the eye occured, there was a scuffle and one Glenarm lad almost had his ear pulled off him. Its apparently a very serious injury as well

Again, I'm not excusing anything here but there is always something with the city teams. The majority of them are dirty, mouthing b**tards and there are always going to be incidents like this until they stop playing such f**king dirty hurling. U16 final last year? It needs to be clamped down. Glenarm are no angels either but its funny how all the country teams can play good hard hurling against each other but that just isn't possible against the city teams

That's hilarious!
I'd love to hear your opinions on the moon landings and JFK or 9/11.
What a w**ker!

I don't think it's a problem that can be pinpointed by what divisional board you hurl for. As a city hurler, I have played against many a dirty Cnut from belfast and north antrim. I have also managed underage where a few teams from all areas of antrim have been dirty and hurled like thugs, likewise some were a pleasure to play against, win, lose or draw

Your attempt to tar all belfast clubs as thugs and cnuts, is lazy and a cheap shot. From a lot of years hurling at prob every ground in antrim I would say you could say younger and more immature belfast hurlers could be bigger 'slabbers' on the pitch while from a young age I always found the country hurler to be more cute with his words about your family or place of birth. Cute whores'

I said this after the post by "app so".. And the point still stands that a dirty or badly coached hurler does not come from a particular area, he is what he is. But I know from wearing a helmet that you would need some size of gnashers to not only get at the opponents ear under his helmet rim, but to get your teeth through your own visor....

Apparently so

Suppose so  ;D

As I said, I am only going by what I've been told but the Glenarm lad has a serious injury to his ear. Part of it was nearly ripped off apparently

theskull1

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: hardstation on April 24, 2014, 04:00:47 PM
Is that what happened youse agin Lavey?
;D

We'll try and figure it out fir yourself
How many other times was thR dunloy team involved in something like that
And they played a lot of competitive matches
This is one game I can give a detailed a point of and the opposing team where a disgrace that day
But something tells me your just trying to be a smart ass
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on April 24, 2014, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 11:21:41 AM
Quit trying to mitigate what was a disgusting incident and for which the perpitraitor deserves the maximum punishment.

Speak up now anyone who doesn't think the perpetrator deserves a very very heavy punishment?

I think he does

Care to name who you believe doesn't btdtgtt?

As far as I could see all people were doing was contextualizing the incident rather than defending anyone. It wasn't obvious to anyone I would guess that you were prepared to accept that a prior incident could have played a part in this terrible injury (and that is not justifying anything). Now you've acknowledged that, we're ready to move on.

It's ridiculously obvious that I know everyone who did wrong should be punished. Didn't need staying at all. I was hardly going to be suggesting otherwise.

btdtgtt

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 24, 2014, 01:46:48 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 24, 2014, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 11:21:41 AM
Quit trying to mitigate what was a disgusting incident and for which the perpitraitor deserves the maximum punishment.

Speak up now anyone who doesn't think the perpetrator deserves a very very heavy punishment?

I think he does

Care to name who you believe doesn't btdtgtt?

As far as I could see all people were doing was contextualizing the incident rather than defending anyone. It wasn't obvious to anyone I would guess that you were prepared to accept that a prior incident could have played a part in this terrible injury (and that is not justifying anything). Now you've acknowledged that, we're ready to move on.

Btdjjt

You seem to be taking your anger out on everyone from the glens
There has only been one eye witness on here and his account would suggest that the derg player wasn't exactly concentrating on the ball
But there's no excuse for what he received
My guess, it was a retaliation that went horribly wrong
I really feel for the player who has lost his eye
And to lesser extent the perp( I don't think he will be feeling to good about it now) as he has to accept he has half blinded someone for the rest of there life
It a sad state of affairs and coming on here berating and stereotyping everyone from north antrim is out of order as was the other poster from our neck of the woods doing the opposite
It's not the first time you have taken a sad for antrim hurling in general scenario and attempted a us and them  argument

Good god of almighty read my posts - I was arguing exactly that it shouldn't be seen as a glens v city scenario. When I mentioned the glens it was a specific response to specific comments.

btdtgtt

Ok I read the rest of the posts catching up after those two responses - I'm a lot more content that people can see where I was coming from.
Some of the initial posts were just totally out of line on both the specific striking incident and geography.

So I will drop that.

Two minor points:

That Dunloy side were never dirty HS stop winding up! Incredible side and the Lavey thing a one off.

JC - to say the Antrim board are more lenient on Antrim players? I think when down lads come in front of county board compared to Antrim (particularly county) players - it's like the black man and the white colour worker in Texas!
I think we all know a few concrete examples!

Can't see anything other than an easy win for Antrim v Westmeath.
Especially with all those well rested players that didn't play for their clubs!

btdtgtt

I know HS - especially when you are getting our county support to games with buses and generating money in the social club.
Some people have no respect!
Here's my smiley  ;D

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on April 24, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
FFS, every hoor and her husband in here cutting shite outta one half of the county or the other and I'm the one gets toul off!

I even put a smiley in!

I spotted it big lad

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 09:19:34 PM
Ok I read the rest of the posts catching up after those two responses - I'm a lot more content that people can see where I was coming from.
Some of the initial posts were just totally out of line on both the specific striking incident and geography.

So I will drop that.

Two minor points:

That Dunloy side were never dirty HS stop winding up! Incredible side and the Lavey thing a one off.

JC - to say the Antrim board are more lenient on Antrim players? I think when down lads come in front of county board compared to Antrim (particularly county) players - it's like the black man and the white colour worker in Texas!

Well, county players are a different scenario all together and we could all throw out examples of miscarriages of justice   ;) .
My point being is that the generic club hurler gets sent off for dangerous play or something along those lines, Down CB would be more likely to throw out a three month suspension whereas in Antrim you'd be more inclined to get a month. Just my tuppence worth.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on April 25, 2014, 08:54:55 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 24, 2014, 09:19:34 PM

So I will drop that.

Two minor points:

Well, county players are a different scenario all together and we could all throw out examples of miscarriages of justice   ;) .
My point being is that the generic club hurler gets sent off for dangerous play or something along those lines, Down CB would be more likely to throw out a three month suspension whereas in Antrim you'd be more inclined to get a month. Just my tuppence worth.

Is there separate bodies for running hurling & football in Co Down?