Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

I forgot to mention
Conor mc cann and Thomas mc cann are indeed junior club hurlers
In fact there from creggan the junior all Ireland campions
Pj o Connell you might remember him from yesterday he scored 3 goals plays intermediate so you owe him an apology at least
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Tony Baloney

Zulu and LS if youse don't like whinging, moaning and in-fighting you have definitely stumbled into the wrong thread  ;)

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on March 24, 2014, 01:16:15 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 23, 2014, 02:16:13 PM
Jaysus lads, it's hard to bite the lip when you hear what's going on in o'connor park the day before the match has even started.  :-X
What was this?

Yes the late arrival not getting the throw-in time right is a storm in a tea cup.
After all - what another wee fine with our money when they're running up a bigger solicitors bill from casement.
Again - accountability?

Lone Shark

There's no talking to some of the lads on here. I never said that half the panel is junior club level, I'm saying they played like that yesterday - and unless there has been a ridiculous outbreak of bubonic plague in the Glens that escaped the national news, I know and any half-decent hurling supporter knows that Antrim could field 100 players capable of much better than we saw yesterday. There were Antrim players yesterday dropping thirty yard passes that were hit straight into their hand, there were players unable to control or lift a barely moving sliothar, it was terrible, and nobody is codded into thinking that's where Antrim really are.

I know there are posters on here who don't have a high opinion of the Antrim County Board and as an outsider, I'm not going to say ye're wrong - yet ye are stretching credibility beyond belief to suggest that they could have got the throw in time wrong. I've played football in Offaly, Dublin, Galway, London, Offaly again and now Roscommon - and due to my complete lack of any kind of ability, it's been Junior B and low division league stuff all the way. Yet in the hundreds of two bit games that I've played, not once have I ever been on a team that collectively, got the throw in time wrong. I've never heard of it happening either.

It's impossible to believe that in a National Hurling league division 1 fixture, not one player on the panel during the week checked a national news website or read a preview, or looked at the odds, and realised that the throw in time was 2pm instead of 3pm and so flagged it up to the management. The game hadn't been moved, and it was the same time as every other NHL game taking place the same day - there is just no excuse for that. 

I do not believe for a minute that it was an honest mistake, and while I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was, I'm still damn sure there is a reason. When set alongside the lackadaisical manner in which the team hurled, and the fact that the management didn't even bring twenty players to the game, then there is an overall trend of playacting here. I don't think it was sporting, and I am doubly upset that whatever it set out to achieve, it probably succeeded.

If Offaly win next Sunday's game by a 15 point margin or more, then I'll happily come along here and admit I was wrong and that Antrim are actually that poor this year. However there's a reason that this will be a one or two point handicap with the bookies, and there's a reason that I'm 100% certain that Antrim will have the talent and mentality to absolutely wire into us next week. It's because Antrim are so much better than this and we all know it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 24, 2014, 01:23:10 PM
There's no talking to some of the lads on here. I never said that half the panel is junior club level, I'm saying they played like that yesterday - and unless there has been a ridiculous outbreak of bubonic plague in the Glens that escaped the national news, I know and any half-decent hurling supporter knows that Antrim could field 100 players capable of much better than we saw yesterday. There were Antrim players yesterday dropping thirty yard passes that were hit straight into their hand, there were players unable to control or lift a barely moving sliothar, it was terrible, and nobody is codded into thinking that's where Antrim really are.

I know there are posters on here who don't have a high opinion of the Antrim County Board and as an outsider, I'm not going to say ye're wrong - yet ye are stretching credibility beyond belief to suggest that they could have got the throw in time wrong. I've played football in Offaly, Dublin, Galway, London, Offaly again and now Roscommon - and due to my complete lack of any kind of ability, it's been Junior B and low division league stuff all the way. Yet in the hundreds of two bit games that I've played, not once have I ever been on a team that collectively, got the throw in time wrong. I've never heard of it happening either.

It's impossible to believe that in a National Hurling league division 1 fixture, not one player on the panel during the week checked a national news website or read a preview, or looked at the odds, and realised that the throw in time was 2pm instead of 3pm and so flagged it up to the management. The game hadn't been moved, and it was the same time as every other NHL game taking place the same day - there is just no excuse for that. 

I do not believe for a minute that it was an honest mistake, and while I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was, I'm still damn sure there is a reason. When set alongside the lackadaisical manner in which the team hurled, and the fact that the management didn't even bring twenty players to the game, then there is an overall trend of playacting here. I don't think it was sporting, and I am doubly upset that whatever it set out to achieve, it probably succeeded.

If Offaly win next Sunday's game by a 15 point margin or more, then I'll happily come along here and admit I was wrong and that Antrim are actually that poor this year. However there's a reason that this will be a one or two point handicap with the bookies, and there's a reason that I'm 100% certain that Antrim will have the talent and mentality to absolutely wire into us next week. It's because Antrim are so much better than this and we all know it.
Have you never seen Cushendall people before?!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 24, 2014, 01:24:58 PM

Have you never seen Cushendall people before?!

Now now!! You'll get a backlash for that!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I don't think anyone believes the timing was an honest mistake.

It was either deliberate to piss Offaly off - or we had some problems which kept us late.

Either way it's a f**king disgrace and embarrassing.

But then - it's Antrim.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 24, 2014, 01:51:00 PM

It was either deliberate to piss Offaly off - or we had some problems which kept us late.

But then - it's Antrim.

Does anyone genuinely and I mean genuinely think that KR or anyone associated with the team would be involved in anything other than this being a genuine mistake.

This is not the type of thing any player or manager would ever countenance, it has been a administrative error along the way somewhere.

theskull1

Stupidity or incompetence? I'm going for incompetence. So until I hear otherwise, I believe it was an honest mistake

LS needs to outline what Antrim had to gain psychologically from doing it intentionally. Just doesn't make sense to even consider doing such a thing is going to give you an edge the next run out. I'd say all Antrim followers (including the Antrim players and coaching staff) are pretty embarrassed and apologetic about it, so its only for LS to know why an apology just won't do.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

If the late arrival was intentional I can't see the logic to this. You history of punctuality doesn't apply here. Any other poster on here will tell about how dysfunctional things are on the county front
I can't figure what advantage KR could take from being late
I am embarrassed by it but I can't see how a premeditated late arrival would benefit antrim for next Sunday
As for our first touch yesterday being below division 1 b standards and more like junior hurling I can't see this being pre meditated either. You could swear listening to your account the lads where deliberately dropping balls and then looking over to the sideline and Ryan giving them the thumbs up
Welcome to antrim hurling. We could go out line we did against cork and hold to 3 points or get tanked By Limerick. Which antrim team shows up next Sunday is anybody's guess
We could beat you by 2 points or get absolutely tanked
I think yesterday's result was more of a reflection of our bench compared to offalys
Maybe no need for conspiracy theories as there reasoning doesn't stack up 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on March 24, 2014, 02:05:28 PM

But then - it's Antrim.

Does anyone genuinely and I mean genuinely that KR or anyone associated with the team would be involved in anything other than this being a genuine mistake.

This is not the type of thing any player or manager would ever countenance, it has been a administrative error along the way somewhere.

Who knows? KR will know that's for sure and he hasn't given the reasons for it. I knew on Wed the game was at 2 as where the other games.

WE ARE PLAYING AT 2.00PM THIS SUNDAY, BALLYCASTLE
And we are 5/2 with Paddy Power ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2014, 02:16:11 PM

But then - it's Antrim.

Does anyone genuinely and I mean genuinely that KR or anyone associated with the team would be involved in anything other than this being a genuine mistake.

Who knows? KR will know that's for sure and he hasn't given the reasons for it. I knew on Wed the game was at 2 as where the other games.

WE ARE PLAYING AT 3.00PM THIS SUNDAY, BALLYCASTLE

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 24, 2014, 02:19:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2014, 02:16:11 PM

But then - it's Antrim.

WE ARE PLAYING AT 1.00 in the morningTHIS SUNDAY, BALLYGOBACKWARDS

Lone Shark

Quote from: theskull1 on March 24, 2014, 02:08:44 PM
Stupidity or incompetence? I'm going for incompetence. So until I hear otherwise, I believe it was an honest mistake

LS needs to outline what Antrim had to gain psychologically from doing it intentionally. Just doesn't make sense to even consider doing such a thing is going to give you an edge the next run out. I'd say all Antrim followers (including the Antrim players and coaching staff) are pretty embarrassed and apologetic about it, so its only for LS to know why an apology just won't do.

Of course I can't outline what KR was thinking when they planned this, I can only speculate. Perhaps he was thinking that Offaly would be complacent and relaxed if they traveled to Ballycastle on the back of a big win. Perhaps he thought that the pedestrian pace of the game in the last twenty minutes would carry over into next week and Offaly would start slow in Ballycastle. Perhaps he did want to annoy Offaly and get their backs up, so they'll get drawn into a fight and lose concentration. Rest assured if I had the ability to read his thoughts I'd happily share, but that's a bit beyond me sadly. I just know it's easier to believe any of the three theories above than it is to believe that a county team got a throw in time wrong for a league match.

I do know this - the majority of Antrim supporters probably are apologetic and and embarrassed, yet they've nothing to be embarrassed or apologetic about. They were all there on time funnily enough - for God's sake they traveled up to 200 miles to go see the game - they owe nobody anything. It was the management and the organisers who should apologise, yet KR certainly didn't do that - instead he railed afterwards about how they "didn't get enough co-operation from the referee". What that's supposed to mean God only knows.

If there was an apology from any of the entities or individuals who have something to apologise for, I'd find it a lot easier to believe that the error was genuine.

And how Antrim can be 5/2 when we consider their form from their last two games at Ballycastle is something I can't fathom. That suggests a three point handicap and if I was from anywhere other than Offaly, Antrim plus three would be a cracking bet, worthy of a serious punt.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 24, 2014, 02:39:08 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 24, 2014, 02:08:44 PM

Of course I can't outline what KR was thinking when they planned this, I can only speculate. Perhaps he was thinking that Offaly would be complacent and relaxed if they traveled to Ballycastle on the back of a big win. Perhaps he thought that the pedestrian pace of the game in the last twenty minutes would carry over into next week and Offaly would start slow in Ballycastle. Perhaps he did want to annoy Offaly and get their backs up, so they'll get drawn into a fight and lose concentration. Rest assured if I had the ability to read his thoughts I'd happily share, but that's a bit beyond me sadly. I just know it's easier to believe any of the three theories above than it is to believe that a county team got a throw in time wrong for a league match.

I do know this - the majority of Antrim supporters probably are apologetic and and embarrassed, yet they've nothing to be embarrassed or apologetic about. They were all there on time funnily enough - for God's sake they traveled up to 200 miles to go see the game - they owe nobody anything. It was the management and the organisers who should apologise, yet KR certainly didn't do that - instead he railed afterwards about how they "didn't get enough co-operation from the referee". What that's supposed to mean God only knows.

If there was an apology from any of the entities or individuals who have something to apologise for, I'd find it a lot easier to believe that the error was genuine.

And how Antrim can be 5/2 when we consider their form from their last two games at Ballycastle is something I can't fathom. That suggests a three point handicap and if I was from anywhere other than Offaly, Antrim plus three would be a cracking bet, worthy of a serious punt.

On Sunday LS I'll buy you a pint, that's if Ballycastle are opening the pavilion with great views to watch the match ;) If not tea and  soup would be the most you'll get. Bring your own tea and soup BTW!!