Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 21, 2014, 09:20:38 AM
I would say its a hopelessly drawn out safety net!

Getting relegated is becoming a hard job - although its the contempt for club fixtures while the whole process labours out that bothers me.

Some atmosphere in Offaly this weekend - no matter what happens we meet again next week and its more important than the this meaningless game?!

There is too much protection for division 1 teams. So if you win division 2 you will maybe be promoted. Shouldn't be that way.

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2014, 09:29:25 AM

Getting relegated is becoming a hard job - although its the contempt for club fixtures while the whole process labours out that bothers me.

Some atmosphere in Offaly this weekend - no matter what happens we meet again next week and its more important than the this meaningless game?!

There is too much protection for division 1 teams. So if you win division 2 you will maybe be promoted. Shouldn't be that way.

You'd almost think the big teams didn't want to be bothered with the lesser lights, wouldn't you?
;)

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2014, 09:40:01 AM

You'd almost think the big teams didn't want to be bothered with the lesser lights, wouldn't you?
;)

Ha, who'd have thunk it.

btdtgtt

All true.
If you win a league you should go up - if you come last you go down.
Simples.

cfclg

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 21, 2014, 10:24:26 AM
All true.
Simples.

If we are playing division two we would complain that its not fair, because we have the safety net we think its a great job................. Poor structure and really unfair on the Kerry's/Carlow's of this world

Milltown Row2

Quote from: cfclg on March 21, 2014, 11:06:42 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on March 21, 2014, 10:24:26 AM
All true.
Simples.

If we are playing division two we would complain that its not fair, because we have the safety net we think its a great job................. Poor structure and really unfair on the Kerry's/Carlow's of this world

Carlow would give us a big test, their club team beat our best club team over the past 4 years so.......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Carlow would maybe beat us.

It isn't fair on the division 2 teams at all. Absolute worst case 2nd place should get a ply-off but winning a division should mean promotion.

It's very skewed towards division 1 teams. That's the way the GAA works lets be honest though for once it is in our favour.

I don't know who's winning division 2 but the way we're playing at the minute, sunday aside, carlow would put it up to us and very possibly beat us.

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2014, 11:47:34 AM
Carlow would maybe beat us.

It isn't fair on the division 2 teams at all. Absolute worst case 2nd place should get a ply-off but winning a division should mean promotion.

It's very skewed towards division 1 teams. That's the way the GAA works lets be honest though for once it is in our favour.

I don't know who's winning division 2 but the way we're playing at the minute, sunday aside, carlow would put it up to us and very possibly beat us.

Its between Carlow and Kerry by the looks of it, but I'm sure the MLR lads would be available to Carlow when it comes to the league final..

I don't think theres such a process between Div2A and Div2B if Down win the final which they're almost guaranteed to do at the minute.

Not sure of how Div3A to Div2B works, but it does seem a bit unfair.

Milltown Row2

Look the Antrim leagues used this same process for years, if the bottom team in Div 1 played the WINNERS of div 2 and won then they stayed up ffs!! But hey the clubs voted for that lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2014, 11:59:59 AM
Look the Antrim leagues used this same process for years, if the bottom team in Div 1 played the WINNERS of div 2 and won then they stayed up ffs!! But hey the clubs voted for that lol

When was that?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2014, 12:39:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2014, 11:59:59 AM

When was that?

Anytime Ballycastle were in danger of going down ;). Johnny Im not sure when but was 10th 15 years ago.

All seeing I

;)

True Johnny - the exact same as the Antrim Division 1 Hurling league this year when it splits at the midway stage. At least the National League has the wit to disregard teams in other divisions. We disregard teams within our own division.

johnneycool

Quote from: All seeing I on March 21, 2014, 02:03:33 PM

;)

True Johnny - the exact same as the Antrim Division 1 Hurling league this year when it splits at the midway stage. At least the National League has the wit to disregard teams in other divisions. We disregard teams within our own division.

Not the same thing ASI, at least the new Div1 league set up in Antrim you get one shot at the big guns, you may go down in flames, but at least you have an idea of what it takes to succeed.

The way the NHL Div1 is structured its as good as cut off from the rest of the hurling counties.
The Div1B losers will be going into a promotion/relegation game after having played Wexford/Limerick/Cork, whereas the Div2 promotion hopefuls will have played Derry/Kildare/London, hardly the same preparation is it?

btdtgtt

There has always been an obvious contradiction in how Antrim want the inter county leagues structured compared to our internal leagues.

At inter county we complain the big counties just want to play one another and it doesn't give us a chance to develop.

At club we perpetuate the desire for the north Antrim clubs to do the same.

I'm sure our glens friends will argue otherwise - but if your honest that's a fact.

I'm not saying I don't understand both standpoints - but they can't both be right - it's one or the other.

Either strong teams can dictate league structures or league structures assist development.

Pick one!

Seamroga in exile

Jaysus lads, it's hard to bite the lip when you hear what's going on in o'connor park the day before the match has even started.  :-X
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"