Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 24, 2014, 08:01:47 PM
GAA President-elect Aogán Ó Fearghaíl has said regenerating the GAA in Belfast will be one of his key aims during his three-year stint.
The Cavan man, who was voted the 38th President of the GAA on Friday night, says the Belfast issue will be one of his "big challenges".
"I can't understand why hurling in Belfast is not much stronger," Ó Fearghaíl told BBC Sport NI on Monday.
"That's an area I would certainly like to look at."
The GAA president added that "Ireland's second city has a huge population and a massive number of clubs and people".
Ó Fearghaíl believes Belfast should follow the model which, he says, has helped Dublin to re-emerge as a hurling force over the last five years.
"Coaching is hugely important and having a strong link between our schools, colleges and clubs.
"People talk about the investment that has gone into Dublin but the real key in Dublin has been the link between the schools and the clubs.
"Clubs all adopt a school and guys from the clubs go into the schools every single week. Not just for a six-week block.
"They go in every single week and they play hurling with the children.
"We had to look at models like that and Belfast in particular can be a growth area for us."
lets hope so,  makes good reading anyway.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 24, 2014, 07:22:27 PM
I don't know if we'll ever get anywhere until we sort out the genetics that make those southern boys so much bigger and tougher!
No matter how skilfull we are we just end up getting bullied.

And at the risk of getting the wrath of MR2 et al I still think refereeing style has a role to play here. I understand the argument of our guys not having the same "tough but fair" mentality and this results in over bearing refs - but until northern games are reffed in the southern style we'll still be playing a different game than the big boys.

I'm not saying you are wrong with regards to refereeing in Ulster, but!!! I've been involved with managing a team with Southern referees I've watched all of the club semi finals and club finals, there isn't much difference between them and our top referees other than the players react differently, you go to any big hurling county and there are examples of shit refereeing, Portumna V Loughrea Loughrea V St Thomas's to name two big club games

I'm sure other posters could relate to other games were the refereeing was abysmal. Players need to stop reacting to hard legal hits.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

How many hurling clubs are there in Belfast and where are they ? Is there a map of the locations? 

Minder

I don't know if we'll ever get anywhere until we sort out the genetics that make those southern boys so much bigger and tougher!

And at the risk of getting the wrath of MR2 et al I still think refereeing style has a role to play here. I understand the argument of our guys not having the same "tough but fair" mentality and this results in over bearing refs - but until northern games are reffed in the southern style we'll still be playing a different game than the big boys.

The Clare team aren't exactly all big lads, Paudge Collins, Tony Kelly etc. It's not genetics that is holding us back.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on February 24, 2014, 09:20:41 PM
How many hurling clubs are there in Belfast and where are they ? Is there a map of the locations?

There only one (maybe) single code club in Belfast

http://www.antrimgaa.net/clubs/?2   Try this link
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Minder on February 24, 2014, 09:24:00 PM

The Clare team aren't exactly all big lads, Paudge Collins, Tony Kelly etc. It's not genetics that is holding us back.

I didn't say that physical size/strength was the only factor.
But regardless of S&C these guys (including the like of tony Kelly) play a much more physical game. Notably this is with their bodies not by pulling the stick!

theskull1

Rossa and StJohns would have won the majority of Feiles over the last 15 years wouldn't they? St Galls upping their game at Juvenile. What are the rest doing? From the dark north....doesn't seem like much.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

I know this is going to be highly contentious and I would be ridiculed across my beautiful city but - yes the johnnies Rossa and naomh gall are streets ahead if we consider both codes across all underage levels.

So what happened quite often is that you have a couple of really good kids hurling at all the other clubs. They become demoralised as they get stuffed by these big three every other week.
Can they transfer? No.
So what do they do? Either they don't progress, or they give up!
This happens year in year out for years on end.
Result? An enormous amount of talent is wasted - and continues to be!

Solution?
Well the root problem is as previously stated - too many clubs.
But this is not going to be dealt with.
So?
Maybe the "weaker" clubs facilitate sanctions?
Problem?
Nobody, understandably, wants to risk losing their future to a rival club.

It's a never ending problem! And has been for years!

theskull1

3 hurling clubs in the whole of west Belfast is your solution?  :-\ Better quality sustained coaching in the other clubs at U8/10? Would that be better?

btdtgtt

At no time did I ever say that 3 hurling clubs in west Belfast was the solution?!

Also I'm sure the guys knocking their pan in at the other clubs would be delighted to hear your critique of them!

Reading between the lines you don't have a grasp of the underage scene in west Belfast skull.

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 24, 2014, 10:46:53 PM
At no time did I ever say that 3 hurling clubs in west Belfast was the solution?!

Also I'm sure the guys knocking their pan in at the other clubs would be delighted to hear your critique of them!

Reading between the lines you don't have a grasp of the underage scene in west Belfast skull.

You didnt explicitly say it no ... but if thats not what youre suggesting at underage, what are you suggesting? Spell it out for us

And in terms of my knowledge of underage in west belfast..... Ive already admitted I'm no expert and have asked the question about what the rest are doing. But I know enough to know there doesnt appear to much in terms of quality from the other clubs low down at juvenile as much as Sarsfields and Brid Og are bulling away. But as I said...I'm willing to be enlightened.....so please feel free to set me straight

And your jibe about me giving an opinion on the lack of quality coming from other clubs is a cheap shot. The guys knocking their pans in are not the problem. Its people like you, full of opinions but who dont get involved who leave the workers on the ground short on resources who are the problem. The boys knocking their pans in deserve all the support they can get and have my full respect.

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on February 24, 2014, 11:45:36 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on February 24, 2014, 10:46:53 PM

You didnt explicitly say it no ... but if thats not what youre suggesting at underage, what are you suggesting? Spell it out for us

that was my very point - that there is no easy solution! The main issues inhibiting us are social - and once they are overcome having too many clubs is a secondary problem. But still a problem as I outlined in my previous post. But I don't claim to be an oracle to solve this! Better men than me have failed here!

And in terms of my knowledge of underage in west belfast..... Ive already admitted I'm no expert and have asked the question about what the rest are doing. But I know enough to know there doesnt appear to much in terms of quality from the other clubs low down at juvenile as much as Sarsfields and Brid Og are bulling away. But as I said...I'm willing to be enlightened.....so please feel free to set me straight

I don't have full knowledge of all clubs but I know of several others doing everything the can. St. Paul's kids won an indoor tournament just this weekend and sarsfields are forever doing bag packs for their juveniles hurling and the aggies are now fielding at all age groups in their own right and gortnamona are have an army of volunteers getting kids from turf lodge into their club and I note both Lamh dearg & st brides have facilitated sanctions to help young lads get hurling where they had no team. So there is no shortage of hard work and that's only the clubs I know off hand. Also that's just in the west - Mickey Jnr is still grafting every night god sends with ardoyne and st endas is absolutely booming with underage development. 

And your jibe about me giving an opinion on the lack of quality coming from other clubs is a cheap shot. The guys knocking their pans in are not the problem. Its people like you, full of opinions but who dont get involved who leave the workers on the ground short on resources who are the problem. The boys knocking their pans in deserve all the support they can get and have my full respect.

it wasn't a cheap shot at all - it's just true that you aren't aware of the full scene. It's not slander - I'm well aware that this is merely a chat forum and all you are doing was chatting. Just like me - minus your "cheap shot" that I'm part of the problem by not being involved. But then like I say you are not aware of the situation in underage hurling in the city. I can assure you I am.

Milltown Row2

I've said it for a while though that there are too many clubs in the city. How many Dublin city clubs are there? While Belfast has a large population, only half would be interested, a lot of that half play other sports (soccer) so it's about sweeping up the rest, doesn't leave you with that many in fairness.

If we are to go back to school days, in my primary school we'd Christian Brothers looking after all the Gaelic games, we also (where my school was situated) the local Gaa club taking us to the school games on their bus, I suppose this was a way of getting kids enrolled in their club. But there was never a shortage of male teachers who were interested in hurling/football. That's all gone now.

I'd say if Belfast had 4/5 clubs that hurled only we could improve a lot better, the dual players could also play football for the other clubs that play football only.

The big Dublin clubs have 2 junior teams 2 intermediate teams and senior and senior reserve teams all hurling, and that would be Crokes who'd be better known as a footballing club ffs!! When you look at that it's surprising (at club level) we do so well!!

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2014, 08:45:46 AM
I've said it for a while though that there are too many clubs in the city. How many Dublin city clubs are there? While Belfast has a large population, only half would be interested, a lot of that half play other sports (soccer) so it's about sweeping up the rest, doesn't leave you with that many in fairness.

If we are to go back to school days, in my primary school we'd Christian Brothers looking after all the Gaelic games, we also (where my school was situated) the local Gaa club taking us to the school games on their bus, I suppose this was a way of getting kids enrolled in their club. But there was never a shortage of male teachers who were interested in hurling/football. That's all gone now.

I'd say if Belfast had 4/5 clubs that hurled only we could improve a lot better, the dual players could also play football for the other clubs that play football only.

The big Dublin clubs have 2 junior teams 2 intermediate teams and senior and senior reserve teams all hurling, and that would be Crokes who'd be better known as a footballing club ffs!! When you look at that it's surprising (at club level) we do so well!!

Just on a side note or parallel, are the GAA still paying for 'development' officers in Queens, UUJ and St Marys? Since the colleges are not in season for probably 6 months or more of the year, surely these three officers could be utilized in a more effective way in the city to get the most out of their roles.

With smaller resources we should be working smarter. Yes it is only three (maybe) officers, but if they start to develop the systems and structures they could have a big impact.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on February 25, 2014, 08:52:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2014, 08:45:46 AM

Just on a side note or parallel, are the GAA still paying for 'development' officers in Queens, UUJ and St Marys? Since the colleges are not in season for probably 6 months or more of the year, surely these three officers could be utilized in a more effective way in the city to get the most out of their roles.

With smaller resources we should be working smarter. Yes it is only three (maybe) officers, but if they start to develop the systems and structures they could have a big impact.

Possibly I don't know for sure, but these initiatives have been done before, we'd members of our club going into schools but it never last long, I know at one of our AGM's it was proposed that we employed someone to do this for a year or two as a development officer assigned to local schools, this would have been 2 fold, bringing Gaelic games to the schools and possible recruitment to the club. We didn't do it because we couldn't fund it as the club has no money.

If the money was available then I think all clubs should adopt this