Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Just another thing. When are we going to stop the short puck outs?  They drive me mental.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 08, 2014, 07:45:59 PM
Just another thing. When are we going to stop the short puck outs?  They drive me mental.

In fairness they were working to an extent got out fought and worked in the middle third so by passing that area should have been the plan.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: NAG1 on February 08, 2014, 08:09:53 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 08, 2014, 07:45:59 PM

In fairness the were working to an extent got out fought and worked in the middle third so by passing that area should have been the plan.
its too big a risk at this level. We lost 3/4 points today because of it. Against o'loughlin Gaels 4 years ago it was 2-2. I just hate to see it.

Milltown Row2

Tactically, physically, mentally and ability out fought today, disappointing from an Antrim perspective.

As already said short puck outs lost a few points in the game, the area where Loughgiel have been strong, winning primary ball, was terrible (conditions were poor for both teams) not dealing with their extra man in defence/midfield area was bad and using their own extra man in defence was bad.

Loughgiel could not deal with the pressure put on them, MLR was brilliant at this and able to come out with the ball, too many balls down the middle, when Loughgiel got ball out in the wings they did rightly.

Was a bollox, Winker took goal well the missed free was criminal though, and the ref gave him two goes at it, but undoubtedly the winning the free and handing over a hop ball instead was the difference at the end ffs!! How did that come about?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2014, 08:50:00 PM
Tactically, physically, mentally and ability out fought today, disappointing from an Antrim perspective.

As already said short puck outs lost a few points in the game, the area where Loughgiel have been strong, winning primary ball, was terrible (conditions were poor for both teams) not dealing with their extra man in defence/midfield area was bad and using their own extra man in defence was bad.

Loughgiel could not deal with the pressure put on them, MLR was brilliant at this and able to come out with the ball, too many balls down the middle, when Loughgiel got ball out in the wings they did rightly.

Was a bollox, Winker took goal well the missed free was criminal though, and the ref gave him two goes at it, but undoubtedly the winning the free and handing over a hop ball instead was the difference at the end ffs!! How did that come about?

The MLR player shoved Duck out of his way just after the free was awarded, Duck then gave him a dunt in the ribs with the end of his stick. No force in it at all but was right in front of the ref. The MLR player makin a meal of it didnt make much difference, ref had no other option.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on February 08, 2014, 09:30:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2014, 08:50:00 PM

The MLR player shoved Duck out of his way just after the free was awarded, Duck then gave him a dunt in the ribs with the end of his stick. No force in it at all but was right in front of the ref. The MLR player makin a meal of it didnt make much difference, ref had no other option.

Stupid, and in fairness Loughgiels discipline has been great these years, so maybe out of character
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Ok:

The better team won

The hop ball was poor discipline magnified by the time of the game it happened.

Loughgiel didn't start well - perhaps complacent deep down despite what was said.

The ref was tragic - small calls consistently going one way. I have posted about this before - it effects games and I won't hear otherwise. Not just in terms of the play but also mentally.

I can't wait for the "loughgiel are finished" brigade. 5 in a row is still theirs if they want it enough.

Terrible to see Creggan lose that late goal - all in the heads for the next day out and I would really love to see them win.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 09, 2014, 12:23:07 PM
Ok:

The better team won

Loughgiel didn't start well - perhaps complacent deep down despite what was said.

The ref was tragic - small calls consistently going one way. I have posted about this before - it effects games and I won't hear otherwise. Not just in terms of the play but also mentally.

I can't wait for the "loughgiel are finished" brigade. 5 in a row is still theirs if they want it enough.

Terrible to see Creggan lose that late goal - all in the heads for the next day out and I would really love to see them win.

Just interested in the examples of where the ref was tragic?

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on February 09, 2014, 01:51:52 PM
Ok:

The better team won

I just really thought throughout the game he gave softer frees toward MLR than the shamrocks. Understand that's a matter of perspective which many people will disagree with but it seemed it frustrate the loughgiel players also.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 09, 2014, 02:51:40 PM
Ok:

The better team won

I just really thought throughout the game he gave softer frees toward MLR than the shamrocks. Understand that's a matter of perspective which many people will disagree with but it seemed it frustrate the loughgiel players also.

He gifted Loughgiel a few at the death which were not converted and what else could he do for the last free other than give a hop ball. The referee was consistent for both teams. This is one that got away  from Loughgiel on the pitch.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 09, 2014, 02:51:40 PM
Ok:

The better team won

I think when they look back they might have a different view, espcially in the lead up to the second goal there a clear pull on the faceguard.

Dont think there is any questions which can be directed toward the ref on this one.

Seamroga in exile

Loughgiel lost the match themselves yesterday. It was a lacklustre performance up until the 50th minute or so when they upped it a gear. Too Little, too late.

The ref was poor enough for both teams. He let a lot of slapping off the ball go that the cameras didn't pick up. He blew up for easy frees in the first half when Mlr players were losing their footing. Something he seemed to stop when he finally understood that the pitch was wet.  ::)

Also, can someone tell me why Ronan mccloskey was yellow carded? I was sitting about 20 yards away from it and didn't see anything. Having watched the game today I'm still baffled.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 09, 2014, 04:24:32 PM
Loughgiel lost the match themselves yesterday. It was a lacklustre performance up until the 50th minute or so when they upped it a gear. Too Little, too late.

The ref was poor enough for both teams. He let a lot of slapping off the ball go that the cameras didn't pick up. He blew up for easy frees in the first half when Mlr players were losing their footing. Something he seemed to stop when he finally understood that the pitch was wet.  ::)

Also, can someone tell me why Ronan mccloskey was yellow carded? I was sitting about 20 yards away from it and didn't see anything. Having watched the game today I'm still baffled.

Aye was wondering that to at the time as was the MLR sitting beside me. Strange game

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2014, 04:28:33 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 09, 2014, 04:24:32 PM

Aye was wondering that to at the time as was the MLR sitting beside me. Strange game

This is one reason I made the ref point - another was right in front of me when an MLR player dipped low / slipped into Martin scullion - ref blew it for a free but scullion had barely attempted a tackle let alone fouled him.
In such a close game these things matter.
Although as I said I don't dispute the result or blame the ref on it at all.
They'll never admit it but I can help wonder was the lack lustre start a result of sub-conscious complacency.

Minder

I can't understand how Loughgiel would have been complacent against MLR, or how anyone would have thought it would be a cakewalk for Loughgiel. There were no form lines to support it.

You don't beat Ballyboden and Oulart without being a good team. I don't think Loughgiel did underestimate them, you can't win them all.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"