Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedog 83

I stand by what I said the league will improve - ruairi og will probably be missing 6 starters from our strongest team if county players aren't there for league games. We have put a lot of work in at underage and our reserves were unbeaten last year so it gives our younger senior panelists a chance to stake a claim on the team and get a consistent run of games in a competitive setting of Div 1.

this will lead to the standard improving of our squad (hopefully) and give our manager plenty of headaches come the business end of the season. If all clubs approach it the same way it can only improve each squad and then this will knock on to the league and then may have a knock on to the county set up.

I say this because some players can maybe 'hide' when the county men are playing in any club team as they are usually the leaders of the team, no other graded players will need to step up and lead from the front if no county players are present.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thedog 83 on December 11, 2013, 02:04:41 PM
I stand by what I said the league will improve - ruairi og will probably be missing 6 starters from our strongest team if county players aren't there for league games. We have put a lot of work in at underage and our reserves were unbeaten last year so it gives our younger senior panelists a chance to stake a claim on the team and get a consistent run of games in a competitive setting of Div 1.

this will lead to the standard improving of our squad (hopefully) and give our manager plenty of headaches come the business end of the season. If all clubs approach it the same way it can only improve each squad and then this will knock on to the league and then may have a knock on to the county set up.

I say this because some players can maybe 'hide' when the county men are playing in any club team as they are usually the leaders of the team, no other graded players will need to step up and lead from the front if no county players are present.

Has it been stated that the county players won't be involved? I didn't see that in the motion, If hurling fixtures are to be fixed they will be fixed for a day the county hurling team isn't playing otherwise teams that have players on the team or squad in the lower leagues will be at a serious disadvantage don't you think?

Again not your problem and as you said a great reserve team to back up the senior team unless your reserves are due to play that day also and so it becomes a bit of a joke for the reserve team....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Club all star thing.  Lets here the picks.   bound to be a row involved here :o
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 11, 2013, 02:44:41 PM

Is this a team of the year of Antrim club players?

Just on that - what are Loughgiel up to in terms of preparations?

thedog 83

Club all stars - antrim Div 1 Hurling

DD Quinn

Ding Gillan
Neil McGarry
Martin Burke

Odhran McFadden
Conor McKinley
Ryan McCambridge

Mark McFadden
Eoghan Campbell

Paul Shiels
Conor Carson
Eddie McCloskey

Benny McCarry
Joey Scullion
Liam Watson

This is my opinion please don't kill me

NAG1

That was a pretty quick response by your fellow club mate  ::)

Sleeping giant

Yes.  Antrim club hurling team of year.  Lol.  Could you not squeeze another couple of shamrocks in there ;D    no mc manus or mc auley? 

Milltown Row2

Simples- If we based it on the final I'd say Loughgiels first 15 as they won every battle, but over the season there are a few lads that could make that team from the other clubs, PJ O'Connell played for Gaels this year and has been one of the best players in all I the games I've been involved with, he'd be very competent at senior level and will be given that chance in senior championship next year.

Quote from: NAG1 on December 11, 2013, 03:21:36 PM

Give me you're 15 NAG1
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2013, 03:44:48 PM

Simples- If we based it on the final I'd say Loughgiels first 15 as they won every battle, but over the season there are a few lads that could make that team from the other clubs, PJ O'Connell played for Gaels this year and has been one of the best players in all I the games I've been involved with, he'd be very competent at senior level and will be given that chance in senior championship next year.

Give me you're 15 NAG1

Unless everyone saw every league game then it would impossible to pick a proper 15 from the League. You are also forgetting Paul Braniff, who turned in a number of serious displays this year, as did C Johnston for Naomh Eoin, not to mention A Graffin.

Impossible task I'm afraid.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on December 11, 2013, 03:49:41 PM

Give me you're 15 NAG1

Unless everyone saw every league game then it would impossible to pick a proper 15 from the League. You are also forgetting Paul Braniff, who turned in a number of serious displays this year, as did C Johnston for Naomh Eoin, not to mention A Graffin.

It's a hard ask and most of these things are based on Championship matches when a lot of people will view these games, as neutrals.

Graffin has been good every year, young Johnty has been good to. Yeah hard to pick and even harder if you haven't seen all the games

Sleeping giant

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on December 11, 2013, 03:49:41 PM

Give me you're 15 NAG1

Add senseless to that as it's of no advantage and just divisive.

Who saw all the games to make judgements??

RefForFee

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 11, 2013, 03:41:45 PM
Yes.  Antrim club hurling team of year.  Lol.  Could you not squeeze another couple of shamrocks in there ;D    no mc manus or mc auley?
SG - a meaningless and subjective exercise.  Have to agree though,  a few more shamrocks players would/should be in the mix  ::)
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

RefForFee

Quote from: thedog 83 on December 11, 2013, 03:17:00 PM
Club all stars - antrim Div 1 Hurling

DD Quinn

Ding Gillan
Neil McGarry
Martin Burke

Odhran McFadden
Conor McKinley
Ryan McCambridge

Mark McFadden
Eoghan Campbell

Paul Shiels
Conor Carson
Eddie McCloskey

Benny McCarry
Joey Scullion
Liam Watson

This is my opinion please don't kill me
I really think LW and JS are more menacing on the 3/4 line.  Just don't give out your address or telephone number, best placed maintaining your anonymity, some vindictive individuals here by all accounts! ;)
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

RefForFee

PO'C sure to be shafted now :o

Antrim secretary Frankie Quinn has launched a scathing attack on the Ulster Council over its handling of the province's SHC final.

The Antrim-Down decider has been deferred until the New Year after the Council failed to find a suitable date for it in its 2013 calendar. It was originally due to be played on July 7, but was pushed back a week after the Down-Derry semi-final went to a replay.

However, Down deemed the new date unsuitable for them as their players had scheduled holidays for the end of the championship season with some unavailable due to work and family commitments. They had also sought a break from action after coming off a punishing nine-match schedule between Christy Ring Cup and Ulster championship fixtures.

The final was then re-fixed for November 3, but was postponed once again.

"Having offered to play the game on July 13 or 20, we received no reply. By rule we are required to submit our county championship programme to the provincial council early in the year and there are penalties for counties who deviate from their schedule," an angry Quinn said in his report to last night's annual convention.

"The next we heard was the Ulster final was fixed for early November in a time period in which rule prevents county players from training or playing games. At all times Antrim were committed to playing this game but I must say that it has been handled in a shambolic fashion."

I'm amazed, biting the hand that feeds you -  ;)