Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 02:41:39 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 02:24:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 02:13:57 PM
You said it will affect Antrim as a whole but then state that it will generally improve it

There's no contradiction there - it might improve that league for some, but it won't improve that standard of Antrim hurling.

If it's only in Div one and if it works out well I'm sure they will have the sense to introduce it to the less privilege teams like Rossa ;)

Lets not pretend its an experiment that might be extended - its plainly obvious its a proposal by the big clubs, for the big clubs.
Although I certainly wouldn't describe Rossa as under-priviledged! I can't say much negative about them any more I live in fear!

Yes you can't argue about being left out of the National leagues but here's the thing, the county allow the clubs to bring in motions then we as a democratic body vote to go with it or not, if you are on the committee of your club then you will have had that option at your clubs agm.

I fully agree with this notion - but is football clubs voting to pass hurling motions and vice-versa not a distortion of democracy? Bigger issue here.

So what the County Board want and what the clubs want are two different arguments don't you think?

Maybe you should take that to the County Website Admin - I think his unique style addressed it best!
This doesn't address the contradiction in Antrim's approach to leagues on the local vs national stage.

Lets deal with the hear and now, the standard is poor in Antrim and from what I seen in Div 2 last year and I played a couple of games too it was pretty dire. The lower leagues even worse off bar maybe two teams in div 1 the standard in the league was decent, with strong hurlers in most parts. Come Championship though some teams under performed and were blown out of the water. Will this structure improve hurling for the Antrim hurling team we won't know for sure.

Its not that I agrees / disagree with any of that - its just a separate point than I was making.

Did the big hurling clubs table this motion? Maybe I don't know if they did (you don't either) and if you are an affiliated club, football hurling or dual I think you can vote on all issues tabled at the convention

The motion was from Cushendall - openly published (well done Antrim).
And I know it was a vote - I just questioned the wisdom of clubs voting on issues which don't concern them becasue its a distortion and is open to abuse (ie) horse-trading to get motions passed.

theskull1

Jesus btdtgtt youre a whinging hoor.

How can anyone from a Div1 club know what will work in lower divisions? If a motion is put forward specific to Div1, other delegates with knowledge of lower leagues could have asked that the motion was amended to consider the lower leagues if they themselves thought it would benefit them.

FFS ...finding ulterior motives where there are none.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Megaman

i think btdtgtt should maybe go and ask someone who was there last night or whoever proposed the motion before making assumptions

i know very little about it but afaik it is something to do with helping getting more games played without county players - hence mainly affecting Div 1.

Club teams wont have their county players right up to at least July.

As i said im not sure so i am open to correction.  :-\

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Megaman on December 10, 2013, 03:28:42 PM
i think btdtgtt should maybe go and ask someone who was there last night or whoever proposed the motion before making assumptions

i know very little about it but afaik it is something to do with helping getting more games played without county players - hence mainly affecting Div 1.

There was talk of the county hurlers missing games. Bt it isn't the failed star and no starred games situation
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Megaman

That's right, it isn't.

NAG1

Genuinely who cares, get the games played county men or no, we cant have a situation where 30plus guys are not involved in games because of 2-3-4 county men. That is totally unsustainable.

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on December 10, 2013, 03:02:58 PM
Jesus btdtgtt youre a whinging hoor.

How can anyone from a Div1 club know what will work in lower divisions? If a motion is put forward specific to Div1, other delegates with knowledge of lower leagues could have asked that the motion was amended to consider the lower leagues if they themselves thought it would benefit them.

FFS ...finding ulterior motives where there are none.

I will take that point. Fair enough if you wanna argue that they'd isn't want to impose the system on other leagues. Eh maybe!
And I also agree that I am a whinging hoor - but not a patch on the wife!

btdtgtt

I'm not against that motive - but personally (this applies to MR2 post also re star games) I have said before - they are club players first and last - on loan to the county.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on December 10, 2013, 04:12:56 PM
Genuinely who cares, get the games played county men or no, we cant have a situation where 30plus guys are not involved in games because of 2-3-4 county men. That is totally unsustainable.

Then get them played - but with county contingent. I agree too many held to ransom for the few with county and it's a system which has never worked!

One last attempt at clarifying this:

I am not against this restructure - not at all. I hope it works! And as I said in my very first line I see the merits.

The only points I made were;
1) the motive is a selfish one rather than an all county concern (only my opinion I don't say that's fact - hey that's what the board is about)
2) it's an odds with antrims position re league theory at national level.

That all I'm saying! It's all I ever really said!

I think it'll make for some great games and I hope it works!
Ok!

Sleeping giant

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 04:33:32 PM

I'm not against that motive - but personally (this applies to MR2 post also re star games) I have said before - they are club players first and last - on loan to the county.
agreed.   if they would let all players play club, it would make for a better league.   suits us anyway.  Because, Are best hurler won't get asked to the county.  Better to be "happy" than start the best 15
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

theskull1

Playing league games without county players takes the heat out of them completely. That's historically what happened when the starred system was in place. Standards and enthusiasm dropped. Spectators voted with their feet even for big match ups and the players themselves knew the games we're mere challenge games

Too many intercounty weekends and the local leagues have to suffer.   

Is there a new way of thinking about this?...I dunno? I don't want to see our best players killed, but I wouldnt mind seeing if they're our best players by representing their clubs with distinction the odd time. I'll wait to see the details on just how often games will be fixed without county players first before going off on one like btgttt  :P

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 04:31:03 PM
I will take that point. Fair enough if you wanna argue that they'd isn't want to impose the system on other leagues. Eh maybe!
And I also agree that I am a whinging hoor - but not a patch on the wife!

You're continually trying to find reasons to suggest NA hurling men have it in for our chip eating brethern. Nothing could be further from the truth.

....I disagree with you about about your missus.....lovely girl  ;D

btdtgtt

Very good skull! I was wondering where she was disappearing to!

I agree fully on your points re club hurling - in general the GAA barely recognizes clubs now. It's all about big days out at Croker. This is evidenced by the relegation of important club games to the depths of winter. The huge majority of Gaels in Antrim and Ireland are club men - it deserves more.

I fear the GAA will repeat the mistakes of rugby and concentrate too much on too few at the expense of the game on the ground in favour of a shiny media product.

I didn't go off on one tho! My comments were mis-construed by that MR2 fella. He's a disgrace - he nearly brought down the county a few months ago commenting on games whilst a ref!  :o

And by the way - I also said that NA were looking after themselves - that's not quite the same as having it in for us mc cooeys. It's predictable clubs will do what they feel best for them. In the city we place our chips on both shoulders!

Jeepers Creepers

Can someone post the div 1 teams list for next season?

btdtgtt

Loughgiel
Cushendall
Dunloy
Ballycastle
St. John's
Ballycran
Ballygalget
Portaferry (oisins relegated official minder?)
St Galls
Sarsfields