Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

I think its a good idea and one I posted on here a year or so ago IIRC.

It gives the up and coming teams a chance to pit their wits against the strong teams who're probably not at full steam in the early months of the summer. The teams in the middle will be going hammer and tongs from the get go to ensure they get into the top five.

The teams in the bottom who've either just come up from Div2 and possibly struggling at a new level won't get hammered off the park every week as when the league splits they'll miss the big teams and have a more realistic shout against the lower teams.

The big teams get a reduction in needless one sided games as they see it, so there's something in it for everybody.

There's a Cran lunatic on Hoganstand and he came up with a good point on the 'luck of the draw' for the first set of fixtures. If you're fortunate enough to get a good few home games against your immediate competition for a top 5 spot then its a pretty big advantage, but I'm sure the draw with all be above board and transparent as everything is in Antrim..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on December 10, 2013, 09:49:52 AM

It gives the up and coming teams a chance to pit their wits against the strong teams who're probably not at full steam in the early months of the summer. The teams in the middle will be going hammer and tongs from the get go to ensure they get into the top five.

The teams in the bottom who've either just come up from Div2 and possibly struggling at a new level won't get hammered off the park every week as when the league splits they'll miss the big teams and have a more realistic shout against the lower teams.

The big teams get a reduction in needless one sided games as they see it, so there's something in it for everybody.

There's a Cran lunatic on Hoganstand and he came up with a good point on the 'luck of the draw' for the first set of fixtures. If you're fortunate enough to get a good few home games against your immediate competition for a top 5 spot then its a pretty big advantage, but I'm sure the draw with all be above board and transparent as everything is in Antrim..

This is the case, a good idea would be to have all the top teams who will be in the top five should play the lesser teams away?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 10:02:22 AM

This is the case, a good idea would be to have all the top teams who will be in the top five should play the lesser teams away?

The top three would be loughguile, Dunloy and Cushendall, followed by Ballycastle, then IMO you've ourselves St Johns, the Crans and possibly the Ports if they sort themselves out vying for that last spot. We'd fancy our chances of taking points of Ballycastle if we got them at home, St Johns are a very different proposition at home in Corrigan than they are away from it.

Yourselves and the Sars will be looking for points off the middle tier at home in Milltown and the bear pit in the first round, so I'm sure you'd prefer to go away to Loughguile and have a winnable game at home, would you not?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on December 10, 2013, 10:33:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 10:02:22 AM

The top three would be loughguile, Dunloy and Cushendall, followed by Ballycastle, then IMO you've ourselves St Johns, the Crans and possibly the Ports if they sort themselves out vying for that last spot. We'd fancy our chances of taking points of Ballycastle if we got them at home, St Johns are a very different proposition at home in Corrigan than they are away from it.

Yourselves and the Sars will be looking for points off the middle tier at home in Milltown and the bear pit in the first round, so I'm sure you'd prefer to go away to Loughguile and have a winnable game at home, would you not?

Possibly Johnney it would be the best option. Ideally Sarsfields away One of the Down teams at home, not Ports as we've always got a tanking down there for some reason never been close, harder battles at home with them, yourselves and Crans we seem to play well enough away from home, especially the Crans we've won a couple down there. Dall hat home Loughgiel and the Castle away
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 09:36:31 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 09:20:22 AM
Quote from: cfclg on December 10, 2013, 09:05:32 AM
Is thsi new league structure being rolled out to the other divsions or is it unique to division 1? Seems very starnge if that is the case.

Also true - if its good enough for Division 1 then why not the rest of the leagues?

The reason - because the true motivation behind it is that the big Glens teams just wanted their own we closed shop and didn't care to notice the rest of the divisions exist.

Again - this is because the motion is not in tandem with increasing club & county standards as a whole - its about perpetuating those elite few clubs.

You will be surprised at how some people in those clubs have no difficulty in admitting that! "As is our want" was the expression used to me.
Cant argue with that.

You did read the bit where all the teams play each other once? It is up to the rest to bring themselves up to that standard, we will be looking to raise the standard and our target will be to reach mid table, might not get there, more than likely be fighting it out at the bottom but at least it will give us a few targets to try and reach.We know Ballycastle, loughgiel, Dunloy and Cushendall will be in the top 4 or should be but the 5th position may be and option for a team, the Johnnies will be targeting that the Down teams also.

I did read it that MR2!
But I don't think the likes of yourselves should be grateful for that one game!
The fact is that previously it was twice!
Imagine your boss halved your wages but then said - cheer up I'm still giving you the other half!

I also did say the system has some merits - but advancing hurling in general is not one of them. Perpetuating the current strong/weak teams is the nett outcome.
The fact is that the rationale behind this is selfish interests from the big clubs. That's who the proposal came from - and to think it's any think other than that is incredibly naieve.

After all - why were the other divisions ignored then?!

They were ignored because loughgiel cushendall Dunloy & ballycastle couldn't care for their existence - this is a good structure for those clubs - but it doesn't consider Antrim hurling as a whole.

Remember that when we consider standards in Antrim competing with southern opposition.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 12:03:54 PM
Is thsi new league structure being rolled out to the other divsions or is it unique to division 1? Seems very starnge if that is the case.

Also true - if its good enough for Division 1 then why not the rest of the leagues?

The reason - because the true motivation behind it is that the big Glens teams just wanted their own we closed shop and didn't care to notice the rest of the divisions exist.

Again - this is because the motion is not in tandem with increasing club & county standards as a whole - its about perpetuating those elite few clubs.

You will be surprised at how some people in those clubs have no difficulty in admitting that! "As is our want" was the expression used to me.
Cant argue with that.

You did read the bit where all the teams play each other once? It is up to the rest to bring themselves up to that standard, we will be looking to raise the standard and our target will be to reach mid table, might not get there, more than likely be fighting it out at the bottom but at least it will give us a few targets to try and reach.We know Ballycastle, loughgiel, Dunloy and Cushendall will be in the top 4 or should be but the 5th position may be and option for a team, the Johnnies will be targeting that the Down teams also.

I did read it that MR2!
Imagine your boss halved your wages but then said - cheer up I'm still giving you the other half!

I also did say the system has some merits - but advancing hurling in general is not one of them. Perpetuating the current strong/weak teams is the nett outcome.
The fact is that the rationale behind this is selfish interests from the big clubs. That's who the proposal came from - and to think it's any think other than that is incredibly naieve.

They were ignored because loughgiel cushendall Dunloy & ballycastle couldn't care for their existence - this is a good structure for those clubs - but it doesn't consider Antrim hurling as a whole.

Remember that when we consider standards in Antrim competing with southern opposition.

If the other clubs did what the big three/ four do in terms of commitment and training and application then we could have an argument about this btdtgtt. But until this is the case then the other teams will just have to up their own end of things to compete before they start to complain about an unfair system.

Milltown Row2

Cant argue with that.

I did read it that MR2!

[/b]

I think Loughgiel and the Dunloys of the county have proved themselves more than capable of competing with Southern teams, as for the Antrim team well that's a different story all together and has nothing to do with the league structures if truth be told, it's more about how the players want to buy into what Ryan wants, as they are training away and it's how they develop those skills from sessions they have.

We will be playing some teams twice who that is will be all down to how we do in the first phase of things, again that's down to how a team prepares before the league starts, us and Sarsfields will be the lightweights here but it needs to start somewhere, the Dunloys and Loughgiels will no doubt beat us and probably beat us twice in the old format, what will we learn from a double hammering?

I know if I were still playing I'd be looking forward to it, I don't know who came up with the idea but there must not have been too much resistance for it since it passed, only 4 teams in my view would have voted for it with your train of thought but there are more teams in Antrim than the top 4 who have a say in the voting. If ourselves and Sarsfields are relegated then it's no surprise and we'll still have had higher tempo games against better opposition which will best prepare us for championship surely??

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on December 10, 2013, 12:31:35 PM

Cant argue with that.

I did read it that MR2!

If the other clubs did what the big three/ four do in terms of commitment and training and application then we could have an argument about this btdtgtt. But until this is the case then the other teams will just have to up their own end of things to compete before they start to complain about an unfair system.

I don't dispute that - the point I am making is that this re-structure is for the benefit of those bigger teams rather than the county as a whole.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on December 10, 2013, 12:31:35 PM

Cant argue with that.

I did read it that MR2!

I don't dispute that - the point I am making is that this re-structure is for the benefit of those bigger teams rather than the county as a whole.

Question:

Will there be more meaningfull games this year in Div one?

Will there be better chance of staying up when the league splits and you play teams of the same standard?

Will these games sharpen you skills/fitness on the lead up to championship?

Will the bottom teams have a chance against Loughgiel in the championship?

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 12:40:29 PM

Cant argue with that.

I did read it that MR2!

[/b]

I think Loughgiel and the Dunloys of the county have proved themselves more than capable of competing with Southern teams, as for the Antrim team well that's a different story all together and has nothing to do with the league structures if truth be told, it's more about how the players want to buy into what Ryan wants, as they are training away and it's how they develop those skills from sessions they have.

We will be playing some teams twice who that is will be all down to how we do in the first phase of things, again that's down to how a team prepares before the league starts, us and Sarsfields will be the lightweights here but it needs to start somewhere, the Dunloys and Loughgiels will no doubt beat us and probably beat us twice in the old format, what will we learn from a double hammering?

I know if I were still playing I'd be looking forward to it, I don't know who came up with the idea but there must not have been too much resistance for it since it passed, only 4 teams in my view would have voted for it with your train of thought but there are more teams in Antrim that the top 4 who have a say in the voting. If ourselves and Sarsfields are relegated then it's no surprise and we'll still have had higher tempo games against better opposition which will best prepare us for championship surely??

Obviously our clubs have represented us well when competing in the South - I clearly stated that my point was with reference to Antrim hurling as a whole.
I find it ridiculous to suggest that internal structures don't have a role in affecting outcomes at county level.

And again, I noted the merits of the systems - I just said that they were a direct contradiction of Antrim's position in terms of the National Hurling League. One ideology & theory is against the other.

So no change - its a system proposed by the big/stronger clubs for their own benefit. Thats just a fact. Lets not kid ourselves that whatever the outcome - that was the motivation. Not the first time, and won't be the last.

Its a simple point - unrelated to the actual merits or putting the onus on teams to improve.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 01:10:47 PM

Cant argue with that.

I did read it that MR2!

[/b]

I know if I were still playing I'd be looking forward to it, I don't know who came up with the idea but there must not have been too much resistance for it since it passed, only 4 teams in my view would have voted for it with your train of thought but there are more teams in Antrim that the top 4 who have a say in the voting. If ourselves and Sarsfields are relegated then it's no surprise and we'll still have had higher tempo games against better opposition which will best prepare us for championship surely??

Obviously our clubs have represented us well when competing in the South - I clearly stated that my point was with reference to Antrim hurling as a whole.
I find it ridiculous to suggest that internal structures don't have a role in affecting outcomes at county level.

And again, I noted the merits of the systems - I just said that they were a direct contradiction of Antrim's position in terms of the National Hurling League. One ideology & theory is against the other.

So no change - its a system proposed by the big/stronger clubs for their own benefit. Thats just a fact. Lets not kid ourselves that whatever the outcome - that was the motivation. Not the first time, and won't be the last.

Its a simple point - unrelated to the actual merits or putting the onus on teams to improve.

How will it affect the Antrim team in a bad way? Teams training and playing meaningfull league games will ensure training till the end of the season two up two down will concentrate the minds more of the middle tier teams thus improving the players who could possibly force themselves on to the panel the following season.

I don't know and neither do you until it happens ffs, lets try it and if it doesn't work then at least we gave it a go, you've yet to state a method of improving the standard so if you are going to debate about it at least have something to debate on rather rubbishing it with nothing else to replace it

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 01:45:31 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 01:10:47 PM

Cant argue with that.

I did read it that MR2!

[/b]

How will it affect the Antrim team in a bad way?

I'm not certain it will - but I think generally a system which encourages the strong to remain strong and the weak to remain weak does not help. Thats was Antrim have been arguing on the national stage.

Teams training and playing meaningfull league games will ensure training till the end of the season two up two down will concentrate the minds more of the middle tier teams thus improving the players who could possibly force themselves on to the panel the following season.

I don't know and neither do you until it happens ffs, lets try it and if it doesn't work then at least we gave it a go, you've yet to state a method of improving the standard so if you are going to debate about it at least have something to debate on rather rubbishing it with nothing else to replace it

Read my posts - you are answering a totally different argument to the one I am making.

I said from the very outset that I see the merits in this re-structure. Its in the first line of my first post on it.

If you want to argue the point - at least argue with what I said!

That is, that the motivation behind this was from the strong clubs, to ensure they play each other.
I also said that the re-structure is at odds with Antrim's position with how leagues should be structured on the national stage.
Do you disagree with those points?
Because otherwise you have assumed I am arguing something totally different from the points you made.

Much of the positives you outline I am in full agreement with - hopefully it will improve the leagues - and if it does maybe then they will see fit to introduce it in the less priviledged lower leagues  ;)

Milltown Row2

You said it will affect Antrim as a whole but then state that it will generally improve it

If it's only in Div one and if it works out well I'm sure they will have the sense to introduce it to the less privilege teams like Rossa ;)

Yes you can't argue about being left out of the National leagues but here's the thing, the county allow the clubs to bring in motions then we as a democratic body vote to go with it or not, if you are on the committee of your club then you will have had that option at your clubs agm.

So what the County Board want and what the clubs want are two different arguments don't you think?

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 02:13:57 PM
You said it will affect Antrim as a whole but then state that it will generally improve it

There's no contradiction there - it might improve that league in terms of competitivenessfor some, but it won't improve that standard of Antrim hurling. For example - Div2 has been more competitive than Div1 across the board - this didnt make it a better standard.

If it's only in Div one and if it works out well I'm sure they will have the sense to introduce it to the less privilege teams like Rossa ;)

Lets not pretend its an experiment that might be extended - its plainly obvious its a proposal by the big clubs, for the big clubs.
Although I certainly wouldn't describe Rossa as under-priviledged! I can't say much negative about them any more I live in fear!

Yes you can't argue about being left out of the National leagues but here's the thing, the county allow the clubs to bring in motions then we as a democratic body vote to go with it or not, if you are on the committee of your club then you will have had that option at your clubs agm.

I fully agree with this notion - but is football clubs voting to pass hurling motions and vice-versa not a distortion of democracy? Bigger issue here.

So what the County Board want and what the clubs want are two different arguments don't you think?

Maybe you should take that to the County Website Admin - I think his unique style addressed it best!
This doesn't address the contradiction in Antrim's approach to leagues on the local vs national stage.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 02:24:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 10, 2013, 02:13:57 PM

There's no contradiction there - it might improve that league for some, but it won't improve that standard of Antrim hurling.

Lets not pretend its an experiment that might be extended - its plainly obvious its a proposal by the big clubs, for the big clubs.
Although I certainly wouldn't describe Rossa as under-priviledged! I can't say much negative about them any more I live in fear!

I fully agree with this notion - but is football clubs voting to pass hurling motions and vice-versa not a distortion of democracy? Bigger issue here.

Maybe you should take that to the County Website Admin - I think his unique style addressed it best!
This doesn't address the contradiction in Antrim's approach to leagues on the local vs national stage.

Lets deal with the hear and now, the standard is poor in Antrim and from what I seen in Div 2 last year and I played a couple of games too it was pretty dire. The lower leagues even worse off bar maybe two teams in div 1 the standard in the league was decent, with strong hurlers in most parts. Come Championship though some teams under performed and were blown out of the water. Will this structure improve hurling for the Antrim hurling team we won't know for sure.

Did the big hurling clubs table this motion? Maybe I don't know if they did (you don't either) and if you are an affiliated club, football hurling or dual I think you can vote on all issues tabled at the convention