Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

I think its James mc naughton and young Brian delargy.  I may be wrong.   heard a few different whispers about pj.  One lad saying this is the last hooray.  Another said he's staying put,  he has gave the club a monster effort as past 4years so id imagine its up to himself.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 09, 2013, 03:00:37 PM
I think its James mc naughton and young Brian delargy.  I may be wrong.   heard a few different whispers about pj.  One lad saying this is the last hooray.  Another said he's staying put,  he has gave the club a monster effort as past 4years so id imagine its up to himself.

Yeah, it's a tough ask every year, he can sit back for a few seasons and re charge the batteries, maybe play a bit of reserve hurling
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Taking Tommy back up the road would be nice way to bow out.  If indeed he even is.  One can dream :)
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 09, 2013, 03:13:17 PM
Taking Tommy back up the road would be nice way to bow out.  If indeed he even is.  One can dream :)

Let not his epitaph be written eh!

Serious hurling man. And servant to loughgiel. Chip off the old block?!

Saffrongael

Surprised James McNaughton is back with Cushendall, he wasn't overly popular with the players last time
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 09, 2013, 08:32:31 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 09, 2013, 03:13:17 PM

Let not his epitaph be written eh!

Serious hurling man. And servant to loughgiel. Chip off the old block?!

Has no one told you ffs there are no chippys in Loughgiel!! We are the chip eaters ffs :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Motion passed tonight to play a 10 team league Div 1 with all teams playing each other once. After which the top 5 teams play for the title and bottom 5 play to avoid relegation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 09, 2013, 09:46:14 PM
Motion passed tonight to play a 10 team league Div 1 with all teams playing each other once. After which the top 5 teams play for the title and bottom 5 play to avoid relegation.

I think that's a great idea in fairness

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2013, 09:54:44 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 09, 2013, 09:46:14 PM

I think that's a great idea in fairness
It certainly gives the middle teams something to think about!

btdtgtt

I can see the merits of this - it means the bigger teams don't have any walkover games and a strong league. And also the weaker teams don't play out a meaningless season doomed to relegation.

It's a mute point perhaps - but the motivation is certainly not the general improvement of hurling standards in Antrim. Rather it's a case of the big glens clubs wanting a closed shop.

I will explain my point this way - isn't what Antrim have just done in the domestic leagues exactly what they don't want done on the national stage?

Internal - big teams play each other more often, weaker teams play each other too.

External - please don't have an elite league we need to play the big boys to help us improve.

I understand fully and appreciate the rationale behind this re-structure.
But you have to at least accept it's contradictory with the county's ideology in national leagues.

Put it this way - if I was a delegate from cork/limerick etc and jim Murray was asking for the like of Antrim to be included with top teams? I'd be telling him that if it's good enough to run his club leagues like that then he can lump it at county level too!

They are different animals yes - but the ideology or theory behind it is identical.
That is, it suits strong teams but it's questionable whether it will improve standards overall.

RefForFee

Just back from Dunsilly, another hectic night and were fcuked now. Some of you innovators,  inspirationalists should have been there for some enlightenment, then again, actions speak louder than words ;) Same hotel, same shit, same, same faces and no progress I am afraid to say! But hey, this is democracy  ;D
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 09, 2013, 11:06:50 PM
I can see the merits of this - it means the bigger teams don't have any walkover games and a strong league. And also the weaker teams don't play out a meaningless season doomed to relegation.

It's a mute point perhaps - but the motivation is certainly not the general improvement of hurling standards in Antrim. Rather it's a case of the big glens clubs wanting a closed shop.

I will explain my point this way - isn't what Antrim have just done in the domestic leagues exactly what they don't want done on the national stage?

Internal - big teams play each other more often, weaker teams play each other too.

External - please don't have an elite league we need to play the big boys to help us improve.

I understand fully and appreciate the rationale behind this re-structure.
But you have to at least accept it's contradictory with the county's ideology in national leagues.

Put it this way - if I was a delegate from cork/limerick etc and jim Murray was asking for the like of Antrim to be included with top teams? I'd be telling him that if it's good enough to run his club leagues like that then he can lump it at county level too!

They are different animals yes - but the ideology or theory behind it is identical.
That is, it suits strong teams but it's questionable whether it will improve standards overall.

Look everyone plays each other once so they are getting games against the best teams, as Tony has pointed out it gives the middle teams something to think about, The Down teams The Johnnies and whoever else finds themselves down there will have a few tough games to sort out staying in the div 1 league, these games should become championship style games and used that way as great prep for Championship.

Anything is better than what's happened before, the league games at the end of the year are rubbish. In the National leagues it's different as they are playing for survival or winning the league and there is more importance in them

cfclg

Is thsi new league structure being rolled out to the other divsions or is it unique to division 1? Seems very starnge if that is the case.

btdtgtt

Quote from: cfclg on December 10, 2013, 09:05:32 AM
Is thsi new league structure being rolled out to the other divsions or is it unique to division 1? Seems very starnge if that is the case.

Also true - if its good enough for Division 1 then why not the rest of the leagues?

The reason - because the true motivation behind it is that the big Glens teams just wanted their own we closed shop and didn't care to notice the rest of the divisions exist.

Again - this is because the motion is not in tandem with increasing club & county standards as a whole - its about perpetuating those elite few clubs.

You will be surprised at how some people in those clubs have no difficulty in admitting that! "As is our want" was the expression used to me.
Cant argue with that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 10, 2013, 09:20:22 AM
Quote from: cfclg on December 10, 2013, 09:05:32 AM

Also true - if its good enough for Division 1 then why not the rest of the leagues?

The reason - because the true motivation behind it is that the big Glens teams just wanted their own we closed shop and didn't care to notice the rest of the divisions exist.

Again - this is because the motion is not in tandem with increasing club & county standards as a whole - its about perpetuating those elite few clubs.

You will be surprised at how some people in those clubs have no difficulty in admitting that! "As is our want" was the expression used to me.
Cant argue with that.

You did read the bit where all the teams play each other once? It is up to the rest to bring themselves up to that standard, we will be looking to raise the standard and our target will be to reach mid table, might not get there, more than likely be fighting it out at the bottom but at least it will give us a few targets to try and reach.We know Ballycastle, loughgiel, Dunloy and Cushendall will be in the top 4 or should be but the 5th position may be and option for a team, the Johnnies will be targeting that the Down teams also.