Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 02, 2013, 09:30:55 PM
Those lads will have serious careers to look back on.
Good times for the shamrocks.

Maybe a stupid question but:
Was this current senior team based on juvenile success?
I mean - is it a result of gifted hurlers being born at a similar time - or a bunch of guys who just worked really hard?

I say stupid question as I suspect it's both!

We beat them a lot at juvenile level
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Ding aswel SIE.  I don't think they were overly successful at under age.  It wasn't dominated for years on end anyway,  the younger of that group. Like Watson barney JC.  Won a handful of U21s in a row
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Sleeping giant

Also had are fair share of defeats.  As if I have to remind anyone.  So id say its more down to shear hard work and will to be successful

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 02, 2013, 10:05:02 PM
Ding aswel SIE.  I don't think they were overly successful at under age.  It wasn't dominated for years on end anyway,  the younger of that group. Like Watson barney JC.  Won a handful of U21s in a row
I don't think ding played in 2003. He'd have been on the panel right enough.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 02, 2013, 10:05:02 PM
Ding aswel SIE.  I don't think they were overly successful at under age.  It wasn't dominated for years on end anyway,  the younger of that group. Like Watson barney JC. Won a handful of U21s in a row

Won one of them in the committee room ;)

Yeah it's important to have that good juvenile base, Dunloy, Cushendall and Loughgiel have managed to bring those lads on into senior championship and perform, Ballycastle and the Johnnies have failed of late to turn that underage success into senior championships
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Interesting!

So if we take it this current team was not some kind of golden baby boom - and rather hard work - is it to simplistic to ask - what happened!

Was it a group of players knocking heads together?
Was it an inspirational manager / clubman?
Was it the pain of the 6 defeats?
Has finance played a role? I mean in preparation not payments!

Or is it too big or complex to put down to a few points?

Just interested while there's no fixtures!

By the way MR2 - if the galls beat the shamrocks at underage then aren't you guys also guilty of not bringing success thru?
Only mixing - I know we're the milltown resources went!
Unfortunately for the real game ur success was on bogball!

Sleeping giant

I think he did SIE.  I know he played in the defeats against ballycastle the two years previous.  Maybe suspended.  Lol  :o    he was out round half back at time.  Him SP and road stone. I think young whitey Connelly started final also.  Maybe that was the following year.  That long ago.   so much has changed since those days.   ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 02, 2013, 10:28:34 PM
Interesting!

So if we take it this current team was not some kind of golden baby boom - and rather hard work - is it to simplistic to ask - what happened!

Was it a group of players knocking heads together?
Was it an inspirational manager / clubman?
Was it the pain of the 6 defeats?
Has finance played a role? I mean in preparation not payments!

Or is it too big or complex to put down to a few points?

Just interested while there's no fixtures!

By the way MR2 - if the galls beat the shamrocks at underage then aren't you guys also guilty of not bringing success thru?
Only mixing - I know we're the milltown resources went!
Unfortunately for the real game ur success was on bogball!

Guilty, but we were winning football titles right through underage also, very hard to do both. Me personally I'd have loved us to have given it a go but I'm realistic and while we've had big wins over the years in hurling and pushed a few teams we never had the tradition that's required to win a Senior hurling Championship, Dunloy did it back in the 90's and have maintained that, Cushendall early 80's and have managed to do likewise.

We would need a serious drop in fortunes in the football (which may happen for a while) and a great team coming through, here's the problem though that serious wee team we have at under 12 under 10 are also good wee footballers!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on December 02, 2013, 10:36:32 PM
Id give the Johnnies a bit more time to be fair. Most of the lads you'd expect big things from are only out of minor.

Which good minor team? they've had a few to be fair. I thought they played well enough this year, good stick work and handling. I'm sure they will improve again from this year

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on December 02, 2013, 10:36:32 PM
Id give the Johnnies a bit more time to be fair. Most of the lads you'd expect big things from are only out of minor.

That sounds familiar - and I expect the same thing will happen all over again.
Don't hold your breath HS.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 02, 2013, 10:42:07 PM
I think he did SIE.  I know he played in the defeats against ballycastle the two years previous.  Maybe suspended.  Lol  :o    he was out round half back at time.  Him SP and road stone. I think young whitey Connelly started final also.  Maybe that was the following year.  That long ago.   so much has changed since those days.   ;)
from memory:

DD, Carl Casey, roadstone, Joey Quinn, Barney, Sean Paul, Johnny, Scully, Benny Dillon, arlic, chum, Aidan McCloskey , chopper, Winker, and possibly another Connolly. Ten years ago ffs. I was only a youngster.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on December 02, 2013, 10:52:24 PM
Since the early 80s, they had won 1 minor championship until the Janty Babes came along. The eldest of those lads is only about 21. That is far too young to be expecting senior championships from.

They lost a couple they shouldn't have if memory serves me right. Wilson's team not win it in the late 80's ? They were some team ffs won the football that day in Rasharkin before we beat are friends from the SW in a thriller 5 to 4 lol

Sleeping giant

CC, god rest him. Would have started.    something has it in my head SP was 7 that day.  Scored an unreal point.  Roadstone 6,  broke his collar bone that day.  Only for it imo wouldn't have been a 6in a row.   again.  Could be wrong.   :o

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on December 02, 2013, 11:05:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2013, 10:58:08 PM
Since the early 80s, they had won 1 minor championship until the Janty Babes came along. The eldest of those lads is only about 21. That is far too young to be expecting senior championships from.

They lost a couple they shouldn't have if memory serves me right. Wilson's team not win it in the late 80's ? They were some team ffs won the football that day in Rasharkin before we beat are friends from the SW in a thriller 5 to 4 lol
When they won it in 2004, they said it was their first since '81.

Aye possibly, Dunloy Loughgiel had decent teams then, Skull could tell me better

btdtgtt

I won't be expecting any championships from them.
Some players can't hack it when the rest improve and they ain't the main men anymore - and the rest can't compete because they are dual players.
Jantys babes will be no different I suspect.
Sad but true.