Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culchie11

Dj is doing a book signing in the team kit shop which is owned by former north antrim chairman & cushendall man niall Kearney who is doing a great job in promoting it! I'm sure there will be plenty from the glens up to meet him, it's not that far from here to there as christy Moore once said lol
Dj is also attending a gala dinner that night for a local gaa club, so I Wundt go slagging him off just yet & I'm sure if any other club asked him to call at their grounds over the weekend he wud have obliged.
He also appeared on the late Late show a few weeks back, so I wouldn't say he is being ill advised! 
It is book season at the min on the run up to Christmas even Owen mugsy mulligan is bringing out a book, some tales to be told by him surely lol

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 13, 2013, 08:11:19 AM
DJ is doing a book signing in the hurling heartlands of Craigavon and Ballymena this Saturday if anyone is interested.

Can't wait to see his minders!! Ian Paisley & Ian Paisley Jr top of the queue for stocking fillers for all the family !!

Tony Baloney

I will call over to Rushmere on Sat but would have thought he would had more trade in W. Belfast.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on November 13, 2013, 11:10:13 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on November 13, 2013, 09:45:41 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 13, 2013, 09:21:58 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on November 13, 2013, 08:49:08 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 13, 2013, 08:11:19 AM
DJ is doing a book signing in the hurling heartlands of Craigavon and Ballymena this Saturday if anyone is interested.

I think this really does say it all about the lack of understanding of Hurling in the north, I understand that it would be the publishing house who would be organising this type of thing but does make the mind boggle.

Poor auld DJ, still getting shit business advice.

:D
I think there's a bit of the McCooey in you JC!

God, I hope not, could a year living in the wild west do that to a man?

I would say one year is plenty to pick up some McCooey!
We can even tell which lads from the Glens came to the big smoke for University!

Think DJ might be calling into one or two clubs in Belfast this weekend.

jftj

Quote from: culchie11 on November 13, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Dj is doing a book signing in the team kit shop which is owned by former north antrim chairman & cushendall man niall Kearney who is doing a great job in promoting it! I'm sure there will be plenty from the glens up to meet him, it's not that far from here to there as christy Moore once said lol
Dj is also attending a gala dinner that night for a local gaa club, so I Wundt go slagging him off just yet & I'm sure if any other club asked him to call at their grounds over the weekend he wud have obliged.
He also appeared on the late Late show a few weeks back, so I wouldn't say he is being ill advised! 
It is book season at the min on the run up to Christmas even Owen mugsy mulligan is bringing out a book, some tales to be told by him surely lol
No.1 hurler of all time.henry couldnt lace his boots.

btdtgtt

Just reading Shane mcnaughtons article about the all-stars. Think it's the first time I really disagree with him.

He complains about a lack of representation for players from Antrim Laois etc and specifically mentions Neil McManus. This is because he says the selections is mainly based on championship and ignores league. 

I think this is entirely justifiable!
Firstly - with only 15spots available it's natural to acknowledge the guys who are good enough to get their team to this stage stage and perform during it!
This is when men are counted!

To put more emphasis on the league ignores the fact that some counties are experimenting at this stage - also if the league did get considered it would be Kilkenny would benefit and not Neil McManus - after all they are league champions without an all-star! I don't hear them complaining!
On the point of Neil - his scoring figures are quoted. Do they now give out all-stars for hitting frees?

Let's cut to the chase - there were no all-star nominations from Antrim because we didn't have any players good enough.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on November 16, 2013, 10:52:25 AM
Just reading Shane mcnaughtons article about the all-stars. Think it's the first time I really disagree with him.

He complains about a lack of representation for players from Antrim Laois etc and specifically mentions Neil McManus. This is because he says the selections is mainly based on championship and ignores league. 

Firstly - with only 15spots available it's natural to acknowledge the guys who are good enough to get their team to this stage stage and perform during it!

To put more emphasis on the league ignores the fact that some counties are experimenting at this stage - also if the league did get considered it would be Kilkenny would benefit and not Neil McManus - after all they are league champions without an all-star! I don't hear them complaining!
On the point of Neil - his scoring figures are quoted. Do they now give out all-stars for hitting frees?

Let's cut to the chase - there were no all-star nominations from Antrim because we didn't have any players good enough.
correct.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 16, 2013, 10:54:35 AM

correct.
[/quote

Bullshit, no one on here knows how Neil mc manus  or lots of players that hurled for antrim down through the years would win. As individuals or with a team
Would  DJ be selling a book now or received all the awards and adulation if he was born up here

This sort of pestimistic  loathing of our own star players has contributed more to Antrims standards than whatever mc manus has contributed.
I haven't been on here for a few weeks. Think I'll leave it some more
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Seamroga in exile

Yeah, and if your aunt had a set she'd be your uncle. The fact is that the Antrim hurlers under achieved this past year and did not deserve an all star, nevermind a nomination. I think the all star panel got it just about correct.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Tony Baloney

I see Fearon in the queue for DJ with me. Might hit him a shoulder.

Minder

Whatever about the flaws of the All Stars Neil McManus or an Antrim player not getting an All Star isn't one of them, nobody from Antrim deserved a nomination, and it's nothing to do with "loathing" of our players.

Strange column if that's what he was writing about in it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

btdtgtt

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 16, 2013, 02:24:17 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 16, 2013, 10:54:35 AM

correct.
[/quote

Bullshit, no one on here knows how Neil mc manus  or lots of players that hurled for antrim down through the years would win. As individuals or with a team
Would  DJ be selling a book now or received all the awards and adulation if he was born up here

This sort of pestimistic  loathing of our own star players has contributed more to Antrims standards than whatever mc manus has contributed.
I haven't been on here for a few weeks. Think I'll leave it some more

So are you saying that Neil McManus deserved an all-star?

Or that he can't get one because of a post on this board?

I support Antrim as much as anyone but that doesn't extend to blindly suggesting our players deserve all-stars with no evidence!

By the way - DJ played on relatively poor Kilkenny teams that couldn't get out of Leinster past Offaly & Wexford.
Please don't mention Neil McManus & DJ Carey in the same breath.

Milltown Row2

I can see merit in some players from Antrim had they been playing for one of the big counties making the list for nomination for an All Star, as proved by and ex Antrim footballer who's playing for Cork.

But to think anyone from Antrim has deserved an All Star nomination, nevermind an actually award since the early 90's is having a laugh
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2013, 03:40:26 PM
I can see merit in some players from Antrim had they been playing for one of the big counties making the list for nomination for an All Star, as proved by and ex Antrim footballer who's playing for Cork.

But to think anyone from Antrim has deserved an All Star nomination, nevermind an actually award since the early 90's is having a laugh

He maybe ( Shane) shouldn't have said he deserved an star but I can see where he is coming from

What he should have said was if he was toggling out for clare and got the same training and preparation then you never know

By the way no one compared him to DJ Carey
A lot if players with all stars dint compare to him

I was just bringing up a scenario as to what would he have won is he was born in antrim

And to say DJ carried a poor Kilkenny team is laughable
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

I didn't say DJ carried a poor Kilkenny team.
I said he played on a relatively poor one. Which is a fact.
Kilkenny didn't win any if the Leinster titles in 94 95 96 or 97.
Yet DJ won an all-star in 3 of these years.

There's no point in posting about what shane should have said - myself and other posters were commenting on what he did say. If u read the original post it's simple.