Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 24, 2013, 03:59:42 PM
I'm gona upset the trend here and back the dall to win by 3 points.

They have a lot of good young players in their ranks, plus they are hungry to win it this year. I seem that from them on sat past. The youth they have brought in has strengthen them and with that good minor team working its way up it bodes well for them.

Lgiel are still damn good but age is the thing that's catching them up. Too many on the wrong side of 30. Do they have the same drive to win it again? Maybe but is it the same as cushendalls? I don't think it.

I do think lgiel are a good team, great players amongst them like Eddie, liam and shay who can win games on their own. I just feel that theirs a change in the guard coming.......

Cushendall will have to improve about 25-30% on their semi final performance to compete against LG in the final. Dunloy cut them open numerous times and with better finishing could have punished a lot more severely. At the other end dont see where the range of scores is going to come from to put up a score that would trouble LG.

Simple again, LG to stifle the game and pick Cushendall off with handy frees that Watson et al will pick up.

(Ye didnt believe me when I said about Ballycastle  ;) )

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on September 24, 2013, 01:55:33 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 24, 2013, 01:53:17 PM
Quote from: saffron89 on September 24, 2013, 08:03:21 AM
cushendun v creggan in a junior final before it I think

all we need now is the weather
Is this the start of something decent for Cushendun as they have dropped a long way from playing Div 1 and SHC?

I know they lost the junior final last year to St Endas
A year too early for them last season but they will have too much for Creggan who are over reliant on the McCanns. Not more than 5 or 6 points the margin I'd say because I'd expect Creggan to go at them but if they keep the their heads they are the much better team overall.

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2013, 02:42:09 PM
Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on September 24, 2013, 02:31:51 PM
I hear Hassan was royally shafted for county Hurling Final, ex said no to Derry referee! Unreal, between Reilly and Elliott then.

Garret not involved? Terry may get the nod then. Thought Mark would have had a chance seeing he'd done very well this year

From what I have seen regarding refs it should be G Duffy hands down (Only the second best ref in St Galls though! :)).

I think Hassan would also be an ideal choice - seems a very experienced ref .  Elliott would also have the experience and would be a viable option but the suggestion of T Reilly, (no disrepect intended towards the guy) In my opinion, would be a weak appointment for a SHC final - he is still unproven.  I haven't seen or heard tell of him covering any big games in Antrim (unless someone can tell me any different). 

Hirty Darry

I'm gona upset the trend here and back the dall to win by 3 points.

They have a lot of good young players in their ranks, plus they are hungry to win it this year. I seem that from them on sat past. The youth they have brought in has strengthen them and with that good minor team working its way up it bodes well for them.

Lgiel are still damn good but age is the thing that's catching them up. Too many on the wrong side of 30. Do they have the same drive to win it again? Maybe but is it the same as cushendalls? I don't think it.

I do think lgiel are a good team, great players amongst them like Eddie, liam and shay who can win games on their own. I just feel that theirs a change in the guard coming.......

I was of this opinion as well DR until I watched their performance on Sunday .... I was only basing my opinion on the results and hadn't seen them in action until Sunday.  It would appear their experience over the last number of years has given them a guideline as to when and how they should increase their intensity.  They also have a wealth of strength in depth as proven on Sunday .... I should have done my homework before lumping on Cushendall!   

Starting to worry about my Cushendall prediction now to be honest.

I see it going one of two ways ....

Cushendall narrowly or a landslide victory by Loughgiel (they have never had one in a Final recently and if they click it could well happen this year)

Na Glinntí Glasa

They haven't had a big won in a final due to the teams they played being near in par with them.
A concern for the dall was the amount of chances we created but missed. Had we converted we could have won that game.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2013, 03:07:08 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 24, 2013, 02:44:01 PM
Terry Reilly? For a county hurling final?

Where is Hassan from?
Its a bit inconsistent saying he's good to have come and do our league games but not championship no?

I know there's a bit of "share it about" but surely the best man should get the job!
Don't think that's Mark either Mr2!

I've no problems with any referee who referee's in Antrim and gets Championship games, be he a Down man or a Derry man, wouldn't be a bad idea for the Antrim referees to do also the Down championships, and when the Derry lads fully commit to the Antrim leagues they will also be available for their championships.

So who is the best man btdtgtt? Mark has done well, players respect him and he's consistant, ie players know his style, likewise Terry. Owen in my view has refereed the same way for a long time, so again you know what to expect same as Garret.

I think we get lost on who's the referee a bit, I know I did as a manager but that's cause you want the best for the team, but deep down if the team is well prepared and disciplined then the referee will have no bearing on your game, end off.

This game on Sunday will be as good as it gets I feel. The Dall hurt form last year, getting knocked out by Dunloy, Loughgiel frustrated at not getting back at Croke and two teams that, lets be honest don't like each other. Great ingredients me thinks for a tasty dish!!

Yes I agree that the ref is unlikely to effect the result - I just don't subscribe to this notion of who deserves it or "whos turn it is"

Personally I think Elliot is the best ref and would take hasson in front if Reilly or mark.
I actually think that Aidan Kelly has shown well in the games I've seen too regardless of experience.

I don't know why people think loughgiel are due to blow a team away.
When was the last one-sided final?
Sometimes watching a team on the national stage fools us into thinking they are further ahead of the others than reality.
For example - that great Dunloy team still shared championships with cushendall and Rossa took them to replays.

I think it promises to be a fantastic game if the weather do us all a favour. Some great hurlers on show and two excellent teams - with no shortage of niggle! Don't see it finishing 15 a side.

theskull1

I just feel that theirs a change in the guard coming.......

Rumors of a teams demise due to the average age of the team rising takes about 5 or 6 years to become a truth. If theyre still damn good at the minute, then theyll not get a wile lot older before Sunday  :P
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 24, 2013, 09:16:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2013, 03:07:08 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 24, 2013, 02:44:01 PM
Terry Reilly? For a county hurling final?

Where is Hassan from?
Its a bit inconsistent saying he's good to have come and do our league games but not championship no?

I know there's a bit of "share it about" but surely the best man should get the job!
Don't think that's Mark either Mr2!

I've no problems with any referee who referee's in Antrim and gets Championship games, be he a Down man or a Derry man, wouldn't be a bad idea for the Antrim referees to do also the Down championships, and when the Derry lads fully commit to the Antrim leagues they will also be available for their championships.

So who is the best man btdtgtt? Mark has done well, players respect him and he's consistant, ie players know his style, likewise Terry. Owen in my view has refereed the same way for a long time, so again you know what to expect same as Garret.

I think we get lost on who's the referee a bit, I know I did as a manager but that's cause you want the best for the team, but deep down if the team is well prepared and disciplined then the referee will have no bearing on your game, end off.

This game on Sunday will be as good as it gets I feel. The Dall hurt form last year, getting knocked out by Dunloy, Loughgiel frustrated at not getting back at Croke and two teams that, lets be honest don't like each other. Great ingredients me thinks for a tasty dish!!

Yes I agree that the ref is unlikely to effect the result - I just don't subscribe to this notion of who deserves it or "whos turn it is"

Personally I think Elliot is the best ref and would take hasson in front if Reilly or mark.
I actually think that Aidan Kelly has shown well in the games I've seen too regardless of experience.

I don't know why people think loughgiel are due to blow a team away.
When was the last one-sided final?
Sometimes watching a team on the national stage fools us into thinking they are further ahead of the others than reality.
For example - that great Dunloy team still shared championships with cushendall and Rossa took them to replays.

I think it promises to be a fantastic game if the weather do us all a favour. Some great hurlers on show and two excellent teams - with no shortage of niggle! Don't see it finishing 15 a side.

Aidan's done rightly has has covered plenty of games for Antrim, Any of the games he's ref'd us he's been spot on, takes no crap either

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The ref last saturday was awful so i'd hope he wouldn't get it! Very lucky it all didn't kick off with how much was let go. That was either way too.

Loughgiel will win by 5 or 6 i think. Cushendall's defense too porous and some of the younger guys, while good, just lack that bit of experience.

Minder

As regards Loughgiel players being "the wrong side of 30", that would be an issue in Inter County hurling but not club hurling. I think Cushendall will find them very hard to handle on Sunday.

The fact that they are being written off in some quarters will help to propel them to a big performance.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on September 24, 2013, 10:03:18 PM
As regards Loughgiel players being "the wrong side of 30", that would be an issue in Inter County hurling but not club hurling. I think Cushendall will find them very hard to handle on Sunday.

The fact that they are being written off in some quarters will help to propel them to a big performance.

I don't know of too many hurling men writting them off in fairness Minder. Cushendall know they are up against it, Id say they are looking forward to the match and have prepared as best as they can, I think they are nearly fully fit with Sean Delargy coming off the bench on Sat, so all their main players are fit and ready to go to 'Town' (ho ho)

It's all about the start, can Cushendall get a good start and maintain it or will Loughgiel get the measure of the Dall and push on. intriguing game and no doubt come Monday (more likely Sunday night on here) we'll be talking about some controversy over a referee decision lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ballybredagh

Mark O'Neill is the best referee I've seen this year and did an excellent job of the U21 final. I've also been very impressed with a lad from Glenravel, Ryan O'Reilly, who is very much in the same mould as Mark, quietly going about the job and barely noticeable in the games I've seen him ref. Not one of the big names, but very good IMO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ballybredagh on September 24, 2013, 10:19:44 PM
Mark O'Neill is the best referee I've seen this year and did an excellent job of the U21 final. I've also been very impressed with a lad from Glenravel, Ryan O'Reilly, who is very much in the same mould as Mark, quietly going about the job and barely noticeable in the games I've seen him ref. Not one of the big names, but very good IMO.

+1

saffron89

know a glenravel referee but not sure if he is ryan O'reilly the guy im thinking of is carrying a little bit of timber, no slant just trying to place this ryan fellow

hear the u21 boys are starting training etc soon with seniors a good few have been contacted

only worry I have with the shams was the poor performance in the half back line and midfield

will side with the ex all Ireland champions on this one.  reckon they will win by 3.  cushendall and their young lads will have to wait another year.  loughgiel don't have much on the conveyor belt for the next while as far as I can see.  that was a particularly strong minor outfit that were victorious.   however some will drift away and others will play senior with their own clubs I assume i.e. cushendun

paddyjohn

Played in games that Ryan & Aidan reffed, 2 super refs & go quietly about it and can have a smile with players to.

Whatever happened Herbie McAuley?