Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on August 27, 2013, 10:21:36 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 27, 2013, 09:13:38 AM

On a slightly different note, Kevin Ryan in his interview after the game was slightly bemused by the win and jokingly referred to the poor preparation the team had collectively and he'd have to rethink his ideas on how to prepare a team.
IMO he's hit the nail on the head a bit as if the clubs preparations are good, players getting plenty of competitive club games, then the onus on them going to county trainings and getting the písh run out of them again is not required. It'd should be more geared to getting them to gel together as a team and any tactical plans that need put in place.

Maybe senior inter-county pre NHL training could be more focused on fitness etc, but now at that level players should be turning up fit.

Do you think he knows he's hit the nail on the head JC? I wouldnt be so sure. I've (and others) said many times over the years we should be giving this a go. More chance of getting the best 21 players to represent if they werent burdened with all the travelling to training

I don't think he did, but even he must wonder to himself that these lads must have been doing something right without his inputs to get to a performance like that.

btdtgtt

Great point JC - basically the U21 success although only a one-off perhaps indicates that a vibrant and strong club scene is what really benefits the county team.

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be fair the lads we have out there on sat past are all good players for their clubs at senior level.

matty, clarke and mc afee are all playing well for ballycastle, johnston the same for the johnies etc these lads are benifiting from the good standard we have at div 1 club level in hurling. Dunloy, cushendall, ballycastle, st johns plus ballycran etc make our div 1 very strong and compeitive for everyone.

belief within the county is all that holds us back. our clubs are a match for anyone as loughgiel have proven recently and not one of our clubs has headed down to a club semi final at senior level thinking they will lose nor have they let themselves down. that belief needs to be build on.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

On a slightly different note, Kevin Ryan in his interview after the game was slightly bemused by the win and jokingly referred to the poor preparation the team had collectively and he'd have to rethink his ideas on how to prepare a team.
IMO he's hit the nail on the head a bit as if the clubs preparations are good, players getting plenty of competitive club games, then the onus on them going to county trainings and getting the písh run out of them again is not required. It'd should be more geared to getting them to gel together as a team and any tactical plans that need put in place.

Maybe senior inter-county pre NHL training could be more focused on fitness etc, but now at that level players should be turning up fit.

Do you think he knows he's hit the nail on the head JC? I wouldnt be so sure. I've (and others) said many times over the years we should be giving this a go. More chance of getting the best 21 players to represent if they werent burdened with all the travelling to training

That's all well and good but the timing of the county league and the club leagues means that the players will need to be brought together early to play for Antrim in the NHL as the clubs will only be doing preseason stuff, thus the players will not be anywhere up to scratch using that method.

It's about time that these players, say a panel of 30 or an open panel, are given a programme (I know they are at the start, but there must not be too many adhering to it) where they come to training fully fit and with all their gym work done, to hone in on their touch and tactical take on the games that lie ahead.

That could be ione night a week and the clubs have their players the rest, would certainly help with club games and improve things overall, as has been said before a competitive healthy club scene will generate a better hurler
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 27, 2013, 01:25:25 PM
belief within the county is all that holds us back. our clubs are a match for anyone as loughgiel have proven recently and not one of our clubs has headed down to a club semi final at senior level thinking they will lose nor have they let themselves down. that belief needs to be build on.

Wouldnt agree with that DR. Lack of belief is a symptom of the apathy that exists at so many levels in Antrim GAA. Too much lip service and going through the motions rather than doing something with a bit of passion and purpose (not saying they dont exist...just we are far short of the right numbers to make a meaningful difference). So a lack of properly interested adults to administrate, coach, fund raise, support and follow our young men year in year out in a consistent manner brings that lack of belief and too often apathy. Not easy to turn around as  people realize full well that to improve our lot it would involve them getting off their arses, making a few sacrifices and doing something in a committed way, so on that basis they decide to get the golf clubs (or what ever else out) and leave it to someone else.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 27, 2013, 02:01:22 PM

That's all well and good but the timing of the county league and the club leagues means that the players will need to be brought together early to play for Antrim in the NHL as the clubs will only be doing preseason stuff, thus the players will not be anywhere up to scratch using that method.

It's about time that these players, say a panel of 30 or an open panel, are given a programme (I know they are at the start, but there must not be too many adhering to it) where they come to training fully fit and with all their gym work done, to hone in on their touch and tactical take on the games that lie ahead.

That could be ione night a week and the clubs have their players the rest, would certainly help with club games and improve things overall, as has been said before a competitive healthy club scene will generate a better hurler
County coaches would generally say that 80% of players cant be trusted to stick to a programme themselves. It's not that they don't train hard for the most part but they will generally concentrate more on the things they like or perceive to be doing them more good which can be problematic. Better than the average club player though who wouldnt bother his arse if left to his own devices. ::)

saffron89

well really looking forward to weekend fixtures

probably be out a bob or two but as long as it get the lads a few expenses

predictions
dunloy to dispose of rossa with ease
cushendall to beat a spirited johnnies team but not after a few hiccups
shamrocks to beat the not so noisy neighbours
ballycastle to beat the oisins by over ten

I would say now dall v shamrocks final and at this point going to say the Dall are slight favourites with a bit of form

will be interested to see how loughgiel play against the town if my predictions are correct

Jesusjones

saffron89, how could we possibly be favorites? Sure Loughgiel won the All Ireland 2 seasons ago. They are going for 4 in a row Antrim & Ulster. Are you mad?

Minder

Kevin Ryan wants Antrim to boycott the game due to the venue.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

Id see through it if it was Tipp

Milltown Row2

This is daft, the venue has been picked for a while, long before we won the semi, with this in mind why did we bother to play Wexford? Now he's acting a dick, would we have been worried about playing the game in Thurles had we been playing Galway? Stupid.

What is the advantage? Because they are a neighbouring county? Christ!! if given the opportunity to play in Thurles in an All Ireland final you cut your arm off to do so and he wants to boycott it (shakes head). Croke isn't available so it's Thurles. I won't lessen the support heading down, as the same numbers will go to Tipp as they would Dublin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north aontroim gael

Weekend Predictions

Loughgiel v Cloughmills - Loughgiel by 20+
Dunloy v Rossa - Dunloy by 6
Cushendall v St Johns - Cushendall by 7
Ballycastle v Glenariffe - Ballycastle by 6

Anybody see any upsets?

north aontroim gael

Late to the party on the U21's as I never saw it and have to say I was shocked when I heard result.

Match reports say they played well and showed a lot of heart.  Fair play to both Kevin Ryan and Neil McManus who both put a lot of effort into trying to get the u21's moving forward.

This tak of boycotting the match is a nonsense though.  Antrim County Board wouldn't shuffle fixtures to accommodate players in an U21 AI semi-final and now we're taking about a boycott on a pre-determined venue? Laughable

optimus cheese

Kinda embarrassing now. The U21 final is played in Thurles, that's the way it is. Did Kerry want the football final moved the other year cos Dublin were in it? JUst get on with it. Seems like the county board trying to make up for the fixtures shambles at the weekend.
If it's moved it only adds fuel to the fire for Clare, another Brian Corcoran moment if yo like

Long run the Faughs

Quote from: north aontroim gael on August 28, 2013, 12:33:25 PM
Weekend Predictions

Loughgiel v Cloughmills - Loughgiel by 20+
Dunloy v Rossa - Dunloy by 6
Cushendall v St Johns - Cushendall by 7
Ballycastle v Glenariffe - Ballycastle by 6

Anybody see any upsets?

I don't see any upsets, maybe bigger margins though

Loughgiel v Cloghmills - Loughgiel by 25
Dunloy v Rossa - Dunloy by 9
Cushendall v St Johns - Cushendall by 4