Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megaman

as far as i am aware (correct me of im wrong - but i dont think i am)

The Club involved where asked to move the match but the manager said NO, said player will be playing football.

Megaman

Sorry, the club where asked did they want the game changed / moved by the county.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Final is the 14th in thurles is it not?

Clashes with the set dates for the hurling semi finals so in assume they will be moved now?

hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 26, 2013, 01:03:39 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:50:17 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 26, 2013, 12:36:00 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 09:53:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 25, 2013, 06:56:21 PM
I agree that blame lies with county ccc but I just can't imagine any player in the big hurling counties opting for club over county if the situation arose. Most clubs would encourage their players to play foe county in big games, its not like Antrim or Rossa are big football powerhouses
Yeah because Antrim are a hurling powerhouse. Take yerself for a walk ffs. Disgrace that the young lad was put in such a position. The Club v County debate comes up on this board every now and again. Everyone says club.

Ha ha ha ha feckin ha. Laughin my balls off. When are Antrim footballers going to ever reach all Ireland football final. Never that's when, but yous are in a hurling final. And as someone else said here your view on club v county is a refection on the prevailing outlook within the county and one of the main reasons Antrim underachieves.
Go away, you idiot. A young fella was put in a horrible predicament by HIS COUNTY. A county which gave so little a fcuk about the U21 AI semi final that they decided to play club championship games at the same time. He decided to play with his club. And a Derry man coming on here pontificating that club v county is the reason why we underachieve is laughable, ha ha ha ha feckin ha.

How tiresome. Lets not go down the derry v Antrim debate, you'd lose of hard facts. Yes he shouldn't have been put in position I have not said anything different but I just can't understand why you'd choose second rate club football for a pot at all Ireland. Ps please refrain from insults, it brings down the tone and makes you sound frustrated and immature

Well the Antrim club champions are tired of beating second rate Derry champions lately, if we are second rate whats that make Derry?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Great result but I have a feeling it may have been a total aberration, hope not though, time will tell. Media folk can't even fire out the "there is great work being done in........" due to the well publicised "preparations" for this game.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Gold

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 26, 2013, 10:53:15 AM
Great result but I have a feeling it may have been a total aberration, hope not though, time will tell. Media folk can't even fire out the "there is great work being done in........" due to the well publicised "preparations" for this game.

Great result but i agree a small bit. In these games you have to get ahead and stay ahead in order to garner belief. Its like any team hoping to topple Lougheill or St Galls--have to get ahead and stay there.

Preparations were farsical as we have become accostomed to, not helped by the apathetic County Board to which we are also well used.
The result was one no one expected, id hope we could give the final a real rattle, get ahead and stay there. I fear that we go behind and suddenly its a 6, then 10, then 15 point game.

If we play in AI semi finals every year through winning Ulster U21 its inevitable we would win 1 eventually. Just hope we can push on and im proven to know nothing, and that we really do have a great team.

Fair play to the players and Kevin and Neil
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theskull1

I think the credit first and foremost must be given to the players and their clubs for preparing them properly throughout the year. More clubs bringing S&C to their seasons preparations so these lads we're able to line out in good condition ready and able for a battle

Kevin Ryan and his backroom to their credit have obviously not panicked at the lack of preparation as they realized they had a good amount of talent in the squad and got the players organised as a group to go out and try and achieve something.

So well done. I can see an 89 final though ...hope I'm totally wrong

Lets be balanced and say that Wexford didn't look that well prepared either (although they possibly had for all I know)

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

clootfromthe21

Quote from: theskull1 on August 26, 2013, 12:05:59 PM
I think the credit first and foremost must be given to the players and their clubs for preparing them properly throughout the year. More clubs bringing S&C to their seasons preparations so these lads we're able to line out in good condition ready and able for a battle

Kevin Ryan and his backroom to their credit have obviously not panicked at the lack of preparation as they realized they had a good amount of talent in the squad and got the players organised as a group to go out and try and achieve something.

Lets be balanced and say that Wexford didn't look that well prepared either (although they possibly had for all I know)

It certainly was an aberration but bloody hell!

I think an awful lot went our way:

i.) we got out in front early and stayed there - Antrim teams rarely do coming from behind victories;

ii.) we got a lucky break for the first goal (and arguably for the second when the last defender slipped, although that's a bit harsh on Clarke)

iii.) we had a big lead going into the last 10 minutes and needed (almost) all of it, for confidence reasons if nothing else

iv.) we had a couple of lucky breaks in defence

v.) Wexford - players and management - clearly underestimated us, whatever spin is put on it

vi.) Wexford management weren't able (or didn't think it necessary) to adapt in response to our tactics

That said, there was an enormous amount of positives:

a.) well, we won!!!

b.) whatever about the lack of formal training sessions, the team were fit;

c.) a core group of players have clearly bought into Ryan, whatever about the sniping here and elsewhere

d.) Ryan came up with a game plan and, more importantly, the players were willing and able were able to execute it;

e.) the basic skills were executed well in poor conditions and while under pressure, particularly towards the end of the game. In most counties that would be taken as a given but not always with us.

As for the final, there has been a lot of talk of shades of 89 etc. Its a bit unfortunate that we are coming up against a very impressive Clare who will be raging hot favourites. That said, I think creating a buzz around the county for the next 3 weeks and, more importantly, building on that buzz after the final, however it goes, is to me more important than the result. That said, I think it is essential we don't simply capitulate.

Anyway,

Tony Baloney

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on August 26, 2013, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 26, 2013, 12:05:59 PM

It certainly was an aberration but bloody hell!

I think an awful lot went our way:

i.) we got out in front early and stayed there - Antrim teams rarely do coming from behind victories;

ii.) we got a lucky break for the first goal (and arguably for the second when the last defender slipped, although that's a bit harsh on Clarke)

iii.) we had a big lead going into the last 10 minutes and needed (almost) all of it, for confidence reasons if nothing else

iv.) we had a couple of lucky breaks in defence

v.) Wexford - players and management - clearly underestimated us, whatever spin is put on it

vi.) Wexford management weren't able (or didn't think it necessary) to adapt in response to our tactics

That said, there was an enormous amount of positives:

a.) well, we won!!!

b.) whatever about the lack of formal training sessions, the team were fit;

c.) a core group of players have clearly bought into Ryan, whatever about the sniping here and elsewhere

d.) Ryan came up with a game plan and, more importantly, the players were willing and able were able to execute it;

e.) the basic skills were executed well in poor conditions and while under pressure, particularly towards the end of the game. In most counties that would be taken as a given but not always with us.

As for the final, there has been a lot of talk of shades of 89 etc. Its a bit unfortunate that we are coming up against a very impressive Clare who will be raging hot favourites. That said, I think creating a buzz around the county for the next 3 weeks and, more importantly, building on that buzz after the final, however it goes, is to me more important than the result. That said, I think it is essential we don't simply capitulate.

Anyway,
After the match at the weekend there should the belief there that they can take on anyone so hopefully we won't see a total tanking. A small percentage of the people now clamouring for buses etc to the final would have given them a chance on Saturday so it shows how big a deal it is. 

imtommygunn

I agree that blame lies with county ccc but I just can't imagine any player in the big hurling counties opting for club over county if the situation arose. Most clubs would encourage their players to play foe county in big games, its not like Antrim or Rossa are big football powerhouses
Yeah because Antrim are a hurling powerhouse. Take yerself for a walk ffs. Disgrace that the young lad was put in such a position. The Club v County debate comes up on this board every now and again. Everyone says club.

Ha ha ha ha feckin ha. Laughin my balls off. When are Antrim footballers going to ever reach all Ireland football final. Never that's when, but yous are in a hurling final. And as someone else said here your view on club v county is a refection on the prevailing outlook within the county and one of the main reasons Antrim underachieves.
Go away, you idiot. A young fella was put in a horrible predicament by HIS COUNTY. A county which gave so little a fcuk about the U21 AI semi final that they decided to play club championship games at the same time. He decided to play with his club. And a Derry man coming on here pontificating that club v county is the reason why we underachieve is laughable, ha ha ha ha feckin ha.

How tiresome. Lets not go down the derry v Antrim debate, you'd lose of hard facts. Yes he shouldn't have been put in position I have not said anything different but I just can't understand why you'd choose second rate club football for a pot at all Ireland. Ps please refrain from insults, it brings down the tone and makes you sound frustrated and immature

Your second rate football comment is hugely patronising.

Do you play the game at all?

The biggest game in club footballers calendar are their championship games - be they senior, junior or intermediate. What is the guy to say? Ah well we're a second rate football team i'll not bother?

jftj

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 26, 2013, 02:34:44 PM

The biggest game in club footballers calendar are their championship games - be they senior, junior or intermediate. What is the guy to say? Ah well we're a second rate football team i'll not bother?
no reason why these fixtures couldnt be moved.the county have ruined about 4 fellas chances of starting an all ireland final.there are some plonkers in casement holding important positions who are never held responsible for their idiotic actions.whenever u complain about it on county website,the plonker never prints it.these guys bury their heads in the sand,pat each other on the back and tell each other theyre doin a great job when they couldnt be any further away from the truth.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: jftj on August 26, 2013, 06:00:06 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 26, 2013, 02:34:44 PM

no reason why these fixtures couldnt be moved.the county have ruined about 4 fellas chances of starting an all ireland final.there are some plonkers in casement holding important positions who are never held responsible for their idiotic actions.whenever u complain about it on county website,the plonker never prints it.these guys bury their heads in the sand,pat each other on the back and tell each other theyre doin a great job when they couldnt be any further away from the truth.

Antrim's U21 hurling heroes to return to Thurles for All-Ireland final
The Saffron county face Clare in the decider on September 14th.

ANTRIM'S U21 SIDE will return to the site of last Saturday's famous triumph when they meet Clare in this year's Bord Gáis Energy All-Ireland U21 hurling final.

Semple Stadium in Thurles was confirmed today as the venue for the game on Saturday September 14th.

Despite Antrim's players and supporters having to embark on a far longer trip to the Tipperary venue than their counterparts in Clare, the GAA have opted to stick with Semple Stadium to host the game.

Semple Stadium has been the venue for the last three All-Ireland U21 finals although controversy erupted in 2010 when Galway protested at having to play the game there given their opponents Tipperary were playing in their home pitch.

In the wake of that episode, the GAA ruled that all future U21 hurling finals would be played at Semple Stadium but an alternative venue would be chosen if Tipperary were one of the participating counties.

There will be a throw-in time of 5pm for this year's showdown with Cork's Colm Lyons the referee for the encounter.

Antrim will be the first Ulster side to contest the final of this competition after they shocked Wexford in last Saturday's semi-final despite being 12/1 outsiders beforehand to defeat the Leinster champions.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

Couldn't agree more!

Also I find it really worrying that someone on here actually suggested a player should choose against playing senior championship for his club - how far have we come!

Kid Twist

Who votes these guys in?

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 26, 2013, 09:28:15 PM
Also I find it really worrying that someone on here actually suggested a player should choose against playing senior championship for his club - how far have we come!

Just one eejit

Quote from: Kid Twist on August 26, 2013, 09:55:13 PM
Who votes these guys in?

Lets look at it this way...who queues up for these positions come AGM?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera