Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Considering that attendance's at training were poor ... what are we to read into yesterdays great result?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on August 25, 2013, 11:29:14 AM
Considering that attendance's at training were poor ... what are we to read into yesterdays great result?

A combination of everything going right, goals in the first half and great defence. Also if you think about the time of year, a lot of these lads are training hard for championship, they have plenty of games behind them and their first touch should be good, plus the alignment of the stars and Jupiter and Saturn crashed!!!

Begs the question will there be places available for others now that we are in the final if attendances at training was poor. Young McGuinness played for his club in the SFC yesterday and was named as a starter in Thurles, will he be shafted?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

MR2 he was already shafted when the county board sheduled a club championship match at the same time as the u-21 semi final. He was put in a no win situation. All the same there is no way they could go with anything other than the 15 that started the semi final. Each player gave everything and I couldn't pick anyone out and say they didn't play well, phenomenal performance all round. Delighted to have been there.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 25, 2013, 01:50:00 PM
MR2 he was already shafted when the county board sheduled a club championship match at the same time as the u-21 semi final. He was put in a no win situation. All the same there is no way they could go with anything other than the 15 that started the semi final. Each player gave everything and I couldn't pick anyone out and say they didn't play well, phenomenal performance all round. Delighted to have been there.

The problem will have been the dates, the County would have had their dates fixed a long time ago, Croke park would have had also their own dates. Who is appointed to ensure that these dates don't clash? and if a clash is there what are the options? Looking in from the outside I'd say Croke Park aren't going to change their fixtures and possibly with this being a championship match at County level then that may take preference, the thing then could the two games that were played on Saturday be shifted to the Sunday and the Sunday game (Lamhs v Cargin) have been played on the Saturday? 

It's seems that was the easy thing to do but not knowing the workings of the fixture committees I wouldn't comment until i knew
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Cant understand how anyone would pick a senior football club game over all Ireland semi for your county, or why your club and county board would force you to choose. mc Guinness should deffo not get a look in for final

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 25, 2013, 02:55:09 PM
Cant understand how anyone would pick a senior football club game over all Ireland semi for your county, or why your club and county board would force you to choose. mc Guinness should deffo not get a look in for final

Don't be silly, these players are first and foremost memebers of a club, they train all year round to play in their clubs championship, McGuinness is a big player for that team, he has decided to play for his club, no doubt there was requests to have the games moved, as this was common practice throughout the year.

If you ever get into that position where two managers are wanting you to play in a championship match then you'd be happy to snub your club/mates/supporters, very hard I'd say

saffron89

yeah McGuinness would have picked club don't think he can be blamed for that at all.
BLAME should be put firmly at the door of the Antrim fixtures committee.  AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I agree that blame lies with county ccc but I just can't imagine any player in the big hurling counties opting for club over county if the situation arose. Most clubs would encourage their players to play foe county in big games, its not like Antrim or Rossa are big football powerhouses

saffron89

also notice antrim twitter account highlighting what newspapers and journalists said about antrim being ill prepared etc

hope they are going to bang on about that considering how they played a part in facilitating how poorly performed the saffron have been.

don't like saying it (because sick of the southerns talking about keep the game going up there and all) but we will get an answer in final as to were we are at.

would love to be travelling knowing we put in the same effort as clare.  then I would know we would be giving it one hell of a rattle

would like a comparison of the clare team this past number of years and how fixtures are handled etc.  compared to our own.  that young McGuiness is a real talent and there are others if we could get the structures to support them.

Kevin Ryan interview said it all. 

jdyok

I have some knowledge of Christopher McGuinness. He should definitely be part of the U21 panel that prepares for the final. He is a great lad as well as a great prospect and he should not be in a situation where he has to choose between the two games on Saturday. If he is not included in the panel for the All Ireland Final then what message does that send to him and others about continuing to play our games.

Kid Twist

Quote from: hardstation on August 25, 2013, 09:53:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 25, 2013, 06:56:21 PM
I agree that blame lies with county ccc but I just can't imagine any player in the big hurling counties opting for club over county if the situation arose. Most clubs would encourage their players to play foe county in big games, its not like Antrim or Rossa are big football powerhouses
Yeah because Antrim are a hurling powerhouse. Take yerself for a walk ffs. Disgrace that the young lad was put in such a position. The Club v County debate comes up on this board every now and again. Everyone says club.

Sums up Antrim in one post

Glensman

Quote from: Kid Twist on August 25, 2013, 10:20:52 PM
Yeah because Antrim are a hurling powerhouse. Take yerself for a walk ffs. Disgrace that the young lad was put in such a position. The Club v County debate comes up on this board every now and again. Everyone says club.

Explain.

Know of McGuinness and understand he did all he could to facilitate being able to play in both. For the life of me still don't know why Rossa v St Pauls was not moved to Saturday.

Missing Saturday's performance/result is surely punishment enough for a pretty dedicated dual player.

Sums up Antrim in one post

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Ha ha ha ha feckin ha. Laughin my balls off. When are Antrim footballers going to ever reach all Ireland football final. Never that's when, but yous are in a hurling final. And as someone else said here your view on club v county is a refection on the prevailing outlook within the county and one of the main reasons Antrim underachieves.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:50:17 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 26, 2013, 12:36:00 AM

Ha ha ha ha feckin ha. Laughin my balls off. When are Antrim footballers going to ever reach all Ireland football final. Never that's when, but yous are in a hurling final. And as someone else said here your view on club v county is a refection on the prevailing outlook within the county and one of the main reasons Antrim underachieves.
Go away, you idiot. A young fella was put in a horrible predicament by HIS COUNTY. A county which gave so little a fcuk about the U21 AI semi final that they decided to play club championship games at the same time. He decided to play with his club. And a Derry man coming on here pontificating that club v county is the reason why we underachieve is laughable, ha ha ha ha feckin ha.

How tiresome. Lets not go down the derry v Antrim debate, you'd lose of hard facts. Yes he shouldn't have been put in position I have not said anything different but I just can't understand why you'd choose second rate club football for a pot at all Ireland. Ps please refrain from insults, it brings down the tone and makes you sound frustrated and immature

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 01:11:48 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 26, 2013, 01:03:39 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 26, 2013, 12:50:17 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 26, 2013, 12:36:00 AM

Go away, you idiot. A young fella was put in a horrible predicament by HIS COUNTY. A county which gave so little a fcuk about the U21 AI semi final that they decided to play club championship games at the same time. He decided to play with his club. And a Derry man coming on here pontificating that club v county is the reason why we underachieve is laughable, ha ha ha ha feckin ha.

How tiresome. Lets not go down the derry v Antrim debate, you'd lose of hard facts. Yes he shouldn't have been put in position I have not said anything different but I just can't understand why you'd choose second rate club football for a pot at all Ireland. Ps please refrain from insults, it brings down the tone and makes you sound frustrated and immature
Surely a county putting club championship fixtures on at the same time = a county who doesn't give a fcuk about him or the U21 AI semi? Yes or No?
Now, why should he?
He gave loyalty to his club, which through underage hurling and football, made him the player he is today. Without his club he wouldn't have had a sniff of an Antrim jersey. An honourable decision.

Run his club down as a 'second rate' whatever the fcuk you want, I'm just glad that Cricky holds the principles of the GAA which appear to be lost on you.
[/quot
Some fair points. I didn't run his club down I just wouldn't view club  football at same level as county hurling. I'm a club man through and through and id never ask one of our county men to choose club game over county but sure everyones different.