Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CitySlicker11

Is the Down club final played around the same time as the Antrim final or later/earlier? Who gets the by this year or are Bredagh in it again?

Jesusjones

I see our reserves have to travel to Ballygalget for 7.15pm tonight for the semi final of the reserve championship. We'll also be playing the game without any minors who have championship on Friday night. 52 weeks in the year and both these matches are being played within 4 days of each other. Madness.

Na Glinntí Glasa

dont talk JJ. we had to play a senior football match last wednesday night and the reserve hurling championship in portaferry! utter madness as our lads play both and they needed to win that football match to have anychance of promotion to div 2.

as per usual our county are a joke
hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

I see the retention of Dowson as football manager has went down well.  ;D
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

The Memory Man

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 20, 2013, 08:26:15 AM
I see our reserves have to travel to Ballygalget for 7.15pm tonight for the semi final of the reserve championship. We'll also be playing the game without any minors who have championship on Friday night. 52 weeks in the year and both these matches are being played within 4 days of each other. Madness.

Couldn't agree more JJ.  We have Minor Football Championship Semi tonight v Rossa, Sen Reserve Semi tomorrow night v Portaferry and then Minor Hurling Semi on Friday night in Ahoghill.  There are about 7 guys involved in all 3 games!  Regardless of the Senior Reserve game, why ask Minors to play two massive games in the space of 3 days, our good friends up the Shaws Rd are in the same boat with their minors.  It appears that this County punishes you for trying to be a successful dual club!  This is a perpetual problem, we continue to hinder and stiffle progess.  The Development Day on the 31st August, guaranteed talking shop, no action plan or output.  The "County" or the clubs as we are always told hosted 3 evenings last year in Dunsilly to talk about the issues affecting our county, I attended one of them on behalf of the club, never seen an out come from those nights, why would this one be any different?

Time for a clear our, the Moderator on the official County Website loves putting it back on the clubs, ie. we decide fixtures etc, complete hogwash, I don't remember agreeing this fixture madness that happens even August! 

It's quite telling that our main County officials have had more clubs that Jack Nicolas FFS!!!  They don't understand the pressures and issues that clubs face on a day to day basis.  Numbers are down in all clubs, we struggle to get lads out to fulfill fixtures.  Spread the thing out!  Don't run all our championships in August and throw in a few league games for the craic, where clubs need points to stay up!!  Open your eyes or more importantly your ears.  PS What an appointment for the footballers!!!

johnneycool

I'm actually shocked that we've a home game in this reserve championship, the first one in the 6 or 7 years we've been in it.

It's a big ask to get a team down the country for that time and the nights are beginning to shorten..

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on August 19, 2013, 08:40:11 PM
Is the Down club final played around the same time as the Antrim final or later/earlier? Who gets the by this year or are Bredagh in it again?

Down final is normally the same day as the Antrim hurling final or has been for the last few years.

Not sure about the Bredagh thing as I think there's an intermediate championship of sorts in Down with the Ards clubs reserves and Bredagh, but no matter what happens Bredagh would be the only ones able to go and compete in the Ulster Intermediate championship. I suppose its a few competitive games for them, so no harm done and it'd do our reserves the power of good as well.

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on August 20, 2013, 09:50:37 AM

I'm actually shocked that we've a home game in this reserve championship, the first one in the 6 or 7 years we've been in it.

It's a big ask to get a team down the country for that time and the nights are beginning to shorten..

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on August 19, 2013, 08:40:11 PM

Down final is normally the same day as the Antrim hurling final or has been for the last few years.

Not sure about the Bredagh thing as I think there's an intermediate championship of sorts in Down with the Ards clubs reserves and Bredagh, but no matter what happens Bredagh would be the only ones able to go and compete in the Ulster Intermediate championship. I suppose its a few competitive games for them, so no harm done and it'd do our reserves the power of good as well.

JC in all seriousness are you able to field a reserve team?

johnneycool

At home and the seniors not playing also, then yes should be OK.

We managed to put out a thirds team last night mostly minors and a few never beens, so everyone must be back from their holidays.

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on August 20, 2013, 10:38:31 AM

We managed to put out a thirds team last night mostly minors and a few never beens, so everyone must be back from their holidays.

And do you think it is fair that you get to play in a competition that you could only field a team in if you got a home draw?
Not running you down but if you dont have the numbers you dont have the numbers.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on August 20, 2013, 11:01:25 AM

And do you think it is fair that you get to play in a competition that you could only field a team in if you got a home draw?
Not running you down but if you dont have the numbers you dont have the numbers.

Maybe you're misunderstanding me, because our seniors aren't tying up 15 players as they would on a given sunday then that'll free up maybe three or 4 lads not named on the first 15 at the start of the year to play. Injuries and what not force us to dig into our reserves, when playing two games on the one day.

The fact that its at home helps lads who'd maybe struggle to get to Cushendall on time from where they work, I'm sure we're no different from any other club in that regard. I'm sure Cushendall would have a stronger team out if it was a home game for them, hardly cheating is it?

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on August 20, 2013, 11:59:55 AM

Maybe you're misunderstanding me, because our seniors aren't tying up 15 players as they would on a given sunday then that'll free up maybe three or 4 lads not named on the first 15 at the start of the year to play. Injuries and what not force us to dig into our reserves, when playing two games on the one day.

The fact that its at home helps lads who'd maybe struggle to get to Cushendall on time from where they work, I'm sure we're no different from any other club in that regard. I'm sure Cushendall would have a stronger team out if it was a home game for them, hardly cheating is it?

Wasnt accusing you of cheating in any shape or form, my point was more than you have failed to field a reserve team on the road this year.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on August 20, 2013, 01:16:41 PM

Wasnt accusing you of cheating in any shape or form, my point was more than you have failed to field a reserve team on the road this year.

yes we have, but we've not been the only ones in recent history, Dunloy had 13 down in Ballygalget a few years back for whatever circumstances, exams, injuries etc, I wouldn't have prevented them from fielding a reserve championship team later on in the year for it, would you?

That would have been pretty harsh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 20, 2013, 01:16:41 PM

This is the first time in a few years that we haven't played the reserve cup, was thinking about it a couple of weeks ago and mentioned to one of the lads at the club but they knew nothing of it.

If we get a point from our last 3 games we'll be in Div 1 next year and then have a reserve team, that means no South Antrim team playing on a monday night!! Which will effectively screw me from playing hurling ffs!!

I'll be refereeing on Sundays same time no doubt and be unable to make them >:( We won the South Antrim league and Championship this year so not bad going, finished off with a brace of points last night so happy enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

The Dall beat us by 4 points I think in the end. Their superior fitness (the most of their team looked like they trained regularly, unlike some of our lads) and better team work got them through on a 3 to 4 point victory. They played with the wind and should have had a better lead than the three points they had at half time.

We'd managed to get it back to a two point game and then a bit of a controversial decision, which in all fairness to H Torney isn't easy to call with two partisan umpires. The ball was dropping just over the bar and the Dall keeper blocked it down right on the goal-line, and the on-running forward stuck the ball in the net, Dall umpire flagged for the initial point, Galget umpire flagged for the goal, near impossible for Torney to know if the keeper had pulled the ball back from behind the crossbar or not, he awarded the point. In saying that when the Dall keeper saw the ball in the back of the net, he thumped the hurl off the ground, he knew he'd messed up, got away with it this time though.

Ran out of steam for the Dall to pick off the points to open the margin again. In all the better team won and no complaints could be had from our side.

Na Glinntí Glasa

We had 16 players for our game in portaferry. The sub was a kid who was 17 and never played reserve.

Utter joke to ask fellas to travel to portaferry on a wed evening for a 7pm start as well!
hurl like f**k boi!