Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: Minder on June 23, 2013, 04:57:20 PM
Big win for Glenariffe against Portaferry, rumours it was Portaferrys U-12 team.

1-13 to 2-8

And glenarrife had the wind both halves! 😉
I suppose I would support the Antrim team anyway here but great win for your lads minder well done.

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 24, 2013, 07:31:04 PM
Big win for Glenariffe against Portaferry, rumours it was Portaferrys U-12 team.

1-13 to 2-8

I suppose I would support the Antrim team anyway here but great win for your lads minder well done.

I'm sure Dingy had a big grin on his portly wee face after that one.

Minder

Quote from: johnneycool on June 25, 2013, 08:40:41 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 24, 2013, 07:31:04 PM

1-13 to 2-8

I'm sure Dingy had a big grin on his portly wee face after that one.

By all accounts Dinger is doing a great job and is very well thought of by the players, he is working with fairly limited resources, it would be some achievement if we can stay up.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

Don't tell me dinger is Ulster Scots for dingy? It :) definately not a spelling mistake
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on June 25, 2013, 11:25:31 AM
Don't tell me dinger is Ulster Scots for dingy? It :) definately not a spelling mistake

Is that irony?

"Urban Dictionary: definately
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=definately‎
Idiot-speak for "definitely". One of the most common moronic misspellings found on the internet."

If you know the fella in question, dingy is pretty apt.

He gets dinger as well.

FYI

His proper name is Martin Coulter, he's more commonly known as Dingy or Dinger.

His Dad is also called Martin Coulter, but he's known as Jack.

He's a cousin or second cousin also called Martin Coulter, he is known as Tom, used to play right half back for us.
I suppose there's that many Coulters you're bound to run out of names at some point.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on June 25, 2013, 11:47:27 AM

Is that irony?

Idiot-speak for "definitely". One of the most common moronic misspellings found on the internet."

He gets dinger as well.

FYI

He's a cousin or second cousin also called Martin Coulter, he is known as Tom, used to play right half back for us.
I suppose there's that many Coulters you're bound to run out of names at some point.

Very good!

Conor McCaffrey of St Johns is referred to as Frank.
Unfortnaute because his brother is called Frank - so is referred to as Fra.
Important to know if your talking about Fra or Frank on the Whitrock!

In Rossa there are two Sean Shannons.
One works with TV aerials and the other paints roads.
So there are just referred to as Aerials and Roads.
Both could have the name so now neither do!

There's bound to be a few quirky twists on family names up the Glens?!

north aontroim gael

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 25, 2013, 12:26:59 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 25, 2013, 11:47:27 AM

Is that irony?

He gets dinger as well.

FYI

Very good!

Conor McCaffrey of St Johns is referred to as Frank.
Unfortnaute because his brother is called Frank - so is referred to as Fra.
Important to know if your talking about Fra or Frank on the Whitrock!

In Rossa there are two Sean Shannons.
One works with TV aerials and the other paints roads.
So there are just referred to as Aerials and Roads.
Both could have the name so now neither do!

There's bound to be a few quirky twists on familt names up the Glens?!

Not in Loughgiel. Hardly any nicknames.

btdtgtt

"The winner of the Munster semi-finals, which is one game, are into an All-Ireland quarter-final. It just doesn't add up. We have about five games to get to that stage. It is very unbalanced."
Kevin Ryan

Is he not missing the fact that winning a semi-final in Munster involves beating a top team - and the 5 games Antrim need to win might include the Carlow Westmeath Laois element?

Clutching at straws I think. At the end of the day results speak more than opinions.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2013, 01:11:59 PM
Yeah, we should move into Munster as it's handier.....

Do we seriously need to consider dropping back down to Christy Ring?

Kilkenny
Tipperary
Galway
Limerick
Cork
Clare
Waterford
Offally
Laois
Wexford

All easily above us in the pecking order.  Those which we may be marginally above are Carlow and Westmeath.

The managemnt have stated the 3 year plan is to win the All Ireland.  I'm all for optimism and goal setting but come on now lads...lets get real.

johnneycool

I posted this on the Christy Ring thread, but I think it serves the needs of the tier of hurling counties just below the top teams as they get competitive games at their own level before a shot at the better counties;

Right, time for a rethink..

In Munster you've 5 teams, Cork, Tipp, Clare, Waterford and Limerick all at a pretty level standard.

In Leinster you've Kilkenny, Galway, Wexford, Dublin and Offaly, the last three possibly a bit below the first two, but semi-competitive as per Offalys showing at the weekend..

Then you've the rest, Laois, Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath, and the Christy Ring winners from the previous year.

Let the rest play off in a round robin basis 'qualifying group', 4 games each which would be pretty competitive, then the top two get drawn into either the Munster section or the Leinster section. Bottom team into the Christy Ring..

The Munster championships and Leinster champions ships get played off with two preliminary rounds in both, semis, finals as normal. Leinster is seeded currently where the previous winners aren't drawn into a preliminary round AFAIK, I'd seed both finalists to prevent them being drawn into preliminary rounds, and the same in Munster.

The back door teams would only be those who made it into the Munster and Leinster championships proper as the qualifying group have already had 4 games.

This way mismatches would be kept to a minimum, the top two teams out of the qualifiers will get at least two games against better opposition and have already had 4 games to prepare for it.
The back door games will be competitive, less mismatches, as well.

Any other thoughts???

imtommygunn

NAG a few points:

- Carlow and Westmeath are also in there.

- Laois beat us this year. We've beat them nigh on every other year. That does not make them easily above us.

The hurling structures are flawed. As they stand the christy ring would be a complete waste of time for us.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 25, 2013, 01:43:32 PM
NAG a few points:

- Carlow and Westmeath are also in there.

- Laois beat us this year. We've beat them nigh on every other year. That does not make them easily above us.

The hurling structures are flawed. As they stand the christy ring would be a complete waste of time for us.

Yeah I referenced that we may be marginally above Carlow & Westmeath.  We may be closer to Laois than the others but I think they have overtaken us.

imtommygunn

Maybe this year but they didn't beat us by that much either so if we were to meet next year could go either way.

The Christy Ring wouldn't provide many games, if any, of any use for us. The only benefit would be to restructure it and bring westmeaths, carlows and probably Laois into it too and then there'd be an outrage.

We can be competitive with the Wexford's, Offaly's and Laois's of this world. Offaly we've really rattled a few times, Wexford maybe not so much so but I don't think we should fear Wexford either as on a bad day for them and good day for us they're beatable.

Jesusjones

Brendan Mc Allister, former Cushendall corner back known as Feet, his son is called Toe.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Jesusjones on June 25, 2013, 06:37:57 PM
Brendan Mc Allister, former Cushendall corner back known as Feet, his son is called Toe.

Love that!

HS - your hurlers proved too much for another manager?
Is Shannon gone or just on holiday?