Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Doesn't help players booking holidays as well

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2013, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 19, 2013, 09:40:15 AM
How can there be a plan though? Having 16 at training and the likes doesn't allow the manager the luxury of training games where he can stop/start at will to get the plan across.

I would say that during the league and leading up to the Laois game that there would have been more at training and they would have been working to a system of sorts, I'd like to think so, and with no panelist on here (Though I know there is ;)) talking about it people are going on what others are saying.

A lot of league games have went on in between the games and players will have got injured so the panel would be a bit depleted at times.

Is it already happening or does the county manager meet with the clubs managers and fixtures secretary at the start of the year and have an open and frank discussion about when he wants the players available and when he will allow them to play for their clubs?

To me that sounds like a common sense approach (which is why it is maybe ruled out) but surely these managers have their plans in place way in advance?

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on June 19, 2013, 10:44:52 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2013, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 19, 2013, 09:40:15 AM
How can there be a plan though? Having 16 at training and the likes doesn't allow the manager the luxury of training games where he can stop/start at will to get the plan across.

I would say that during the league and leading up to the Laois game that there would have been more at training and they would have been working to a system of sorts, I'd like to think so, and with no panelist on here (Though I know there is ;)) talking about it people are going on what others are saying.

A lot of league games have went on in between the games and players will have got injured so the panel would be a bit depleted at times.

Is it already happening or does the county manager meet with the clubs managers and fixtures secretary at the start of the year and have an open and frank discussion about when he wants the players available and when he will allow them to play for their clubs?

To me that sounds like a common sense approach (which is why it is maybe ruled out) but surely these managers have their plans in place way in advance?

Sure the clubs are just an inconvenience in the modern GAA.

jftj

irish news today revealed ryan mcgarry,shay casey  and colly mc fall left panel to secure work abroad.add in a few niggly injuries and 16 at training is fair enough if ryan made the choice not to bring anyone else in.

Seamroga in exile

Shay is going nowhere. He's currently injured and busy building a house. Don't believe everything you read in the Irish news.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

cfclg

btdtgtt

I did comment on the standard of ulster hurling journalism recently!

Good luck to the lads - sounds like we're going to need it!

This season Deja vu all over again?

Glensman

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 19, 2013, 04:02:29 PM
Shay is going nowhere. He's currently injured and busy building a house. Don't believe everything you read in the Irish news.

SIE - is Eddie back from holiday for Saturday? Big loss if not. Think he has admitted himself he hasn't replicated club form at county level but is a serious operator.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: jftj on June 19, 2013, 02:26:49 PM
irish news today revealed ryan mcgarry,shay casey  and colly mc fall left panel to secure work abroad.add in a few niggly injuries and 16 at training is fair enough if ryan made the choice not to bring anyone else in.

True about Ryan McGarry. He hasn't played for Ballycastle for about a month now. A big loss to us and the county. Clubwise losing him and Michael Dallat to work abroad and Hippy with injury as well as others not back from injury like KB and Gerard Laverty or boys struggling to get back like Dermot Donnelly and P McLarnon, we are finding it hard this year. If Matthew's injury does'nt clear our season is over. It'll be just trying to make sure we have the points to stay up.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Glensman on June 19, 2013, 05:47:59 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 19, 2013, 04:02:29 PM

SIE - is Eddie back from holiday for Saturday? Big loss if not. Think he has admitted himself he hasn't replicated club form at county level but is a serious operator.
he landed back today.

Na Glinntí Glasa

IMO Eddie is lgiels best forward. I love watching him play as he can run, pass, shoot and score. He also a nice fella to speak to and someone whom I think has the potential to be even better.

That said when he plays for Antrim he hasn't been good. Against Carlow in the play off he showed what he could do in the second half. I find myself willing him to do what he does for lgiel for Antrim. If he clicks he's a handful for any defender.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Bate by the Crans last night in what was a pretty decent game where they bagged a goal in injury time to take the points.

I think it ended up 4-10 to 3-16 or similar

Considering the team we put out I was expecting worse and to be fair Ballycran were all over us in the first half and should have been 7 or 8 up rather than the 2 they went in with. They got a good goal and a few points early on and were cutting through our defence at will it seemed, but we got two goals to keep us in the game. As our defence was probably missing two of our better defenders through injury it wasn't entirely unexpected.
A few changes at half time in moving a few lads about seemed to have worked, we got another two goals to take a lead with both teams pinning on points till it was all level. The winning goal was at the death and as much as it pains me to say it probably deserved, but we'll not be too despondent if we meet them later on in the year on a big pitch with a full compliment.

Also, thought the ref Owen Elliott was very good, let it go a bit and when lads were going down a bit easy made them play on. No real nastiness in the game also helped to make it an entertaining game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on June 20, 2013, 08:29:19 AM
Bate by the Crans last night in what was a pretty decent game where they bagged a goal in injury time to take the points.

Considering the team we put out I was expecting worse and to be fair Ballycran were all over us in the first half and should have been 7 or 8 up rather than the 2 they went in with. They got a good goal and a few points early on and were cutting through our defence at will it seemed, but we got two goals to keep us in the game. As our defence was probably missing two of our better defenders through injury it wasn't entirely unexpected.
A few changes at half time in moving a few lads about seemed to have worked, we got another two goals to take a lead with both teams pinning on points till it was all level. The winning goal was at the death and as much as it pains me to say it probably deserved, but we'll not be too despondent if we meet them later on in the year on a big pitch with a full compliment.

Also, thought the ref Owen Elliott was very good, let it go a bit and when lads were going down a bit easy made them play on. No real nastiness in the game also helped to make it an entertaining game.

Yeah I've never had any complaints about Owen, even when I managed our seniors I always thought he was fair and let the game go (within reason)

That's a fair scoring game Johnney, the Down hurlers have puit in some miles lately, I'm sure they could do with a rest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2013, 09:12:25 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 20, 2013, 08:29:19 AM

Yeah I've never had any complaints about Owen, even when I managed our seniors I always thought he was fair and let the game go (within reason)

That's a fair scoring game Johnney, the Down hurlers have puit in some miles lately, I'm sure they could do with a rest

Id say if you asked DR he might have a different opinion on this one, maybe nothing too bad but maybe a question or two for him?

Seamroga in exile

I can't say that we've had many complaints about him.